Seriously No Politics ×

In 2013 a mission president was removed for misconduct

I never knew this happened. The story lacks details but clearly this Mission President was removed quickly and for good reason. The female missionaries did not press charges but should he be in jail? https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/04/26/the-case-of-puerto-rico-when-the-mormon-church-promptly-removed-a-mission-president-who-deceived-and-victimized-young-female-missionaries/

“Ten months later, however, Smartt was dismissed as mission president and booted from the church for unspecified misconduct with multiple young female missionaries.

The victims, all older than 18, “chose not to pursue criminal charges,” LDS Church spokesman Eric Hawkins said in a statement, and the Utah-based faith provided “ecclesiastical and emotional counseling” to the sister missionaries “who had been deceived and victimized.”

Im not sure excommunication was enough punishment for this man who clearly did something very wrong.

“This is a tragic and heartbreaking case of deception and betrayal that has impacted the lives of a number of people,” Hawkins said. “When church leaders learned of what had occurred, the mission president was immediately and dishonorably released from his position, sent home and excommunicated.”

Edited by bsjkki

"Im not sure excommunication was enough punishment for this man who clearly did something very wrong."

Jurisdiction was in Puerto Rico.  Wouldn't victims have to stay and testify against him there?

I have no clue about the law enforcement culture of Puerto Rico and if there might have been additional issues for the victims if the law got involved.

Outside of what the law might do in PR, not sure what could be done more than excommunication.

4 minutes ago, Marginal Gains said:

Is there a hotline number for missionaries to call to report issues with their mission president? A sort of whistle blower hotline?

Are missionaries briefed in their MTC training about what to do in the event of suspected Mission President misconduct?

I don’t think so. This incident was reported by a missionary who made an unauthorized call home. I think a hotline would be a good idea. 

5 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

I don’t think so. This incident was reported by a missionary who made an unauthorized call home. I think a hotline would be a good idea. 

It happened five years ago. If a process has not been put in place for reporting issues of this nature by now...well...that would be staggering negligence.

Anyone know if there is a process in place and what it is?

Edited by Marginal Gains

Puerto Rico has a definition for sexual assault that fits this situation perfectly. 

• When the accused person takes advantage of the trust deposited in him/her by the victim because there is a relationship of superiority because the victim is under his/her custody, guardianship, or primary, secondary or special education, medical or psychotherapeutic treatment, or any type of counseling, or because there is a relationship with the victim as the leader of his/her religious belief. https://apps.rainn.org/policy/policy-crime-definitions.cfm?state=Puerto Rico&group=3

i understand not putting the victim through the trauma if they choose not to pursue charges but excommunication is not enough punishment for this man. Authorities were most likely never notified and he was sent stateside ASAP. Sad case all around. 

What is the statute of limitations for this crime?

• Answer

This crime is a felony.

1. Prosecution against the perpetrator of this crime must commence within 20 years after the commission of the offense.
    2. If the victim has not yet turned 18 years old, the statute of limitations will not begin to run until the victim turns 18 years old.

The statute of limitations is 20 years. Maybe some victims are now ready to press charges. 

1 hour ago, Marginal Gains said:

It happened five years ago. If a process has not been put in place for reporting issues of this nature by now...well...that would be staggering negligence.

Anyone know if there is a process in place and what it is?

Why?  If a missionary wouldn't call their parents to report such a thing, why would they call a church hotline?  (I'm not saying a hotline would be a bad idea, but I just don't understand why it would be staggeringly negligent for the church not to provide one).

Given the nature of missionary work, I don't think a hotline would be all that effective.  Who would be on the other end and what could they do in the moment?  They could definitely give the missionary advice, support, and contact superiors, but I think a parent (or in extreme cases, the authorities) would be a better option all around.  

10 minutes ago, ALarson said:

That's from 2016, correct?  So is this for something else he's done or related to this?

That I don't know, I had heard his wife had physical problems as well, maybe he stole money to pay for bills? who knows

1 hour ago, bsjkki said:

I never knew this happened. The story lacks details but clearly this Mission President was removed quickly and for good reason. The female missionaries did not press charges but should he be in jail? https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/04/26/the-case-of-puerto-rico-when-the-mormon-church-promptly-removed-a-mission-president-who-deceived-and-victimized-young-female-missionaries/

“Ten months later, however, Smartt was dismissed as mission president and booted from the church for unspecified misconduct with multiple young female missionaries.

The victims, all older than 18, “chose not to pursue criminal charges,” LDS Church spokesman Eric Hawkins said in a statement, and the Utah-based faith provided “ecclesiastical and emotional counseling” to the sister missionaries “who had been deceived and victimized.”

The article also states this: 

Hawkins noted Wednesday that “no police report was requested by the victims,” but added that “without question, these actions were reprehensible, immoral and against the laws of God and the standards of the church.”

This episode comes to light during the #MeToo movement, when The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as well as other religious institutions are facing increased scrutiny for their response to reports of clergy misdeeds.

Smartt, a wealthy Alabama lawyer-developer, assigned several female pairs to isolated islands, far from other missionaries or the mission home in the capital of San Juan. He bought clothes and jewelry for some of the women. He flew them from place to place in his private plane, which he arranged to be sent to the mission within a few months of his arrival.

Smartt’s treatment of the female proselytizers in his care was exposed when one sister missionary took the unusual step of phoning her stake president on the U.S. mainland. (Mormon missionaries generally call home only on Christmas and Mother’s Day and only to their families.) She reported what was going on, and that regional lay leader alerted officials in the faith’s Salt Lake City headquarters.

“Any missionary who informs church leaders, family members and/or legal authorities about abuse should be commended, and may use any available means to do so,” Hawkins said. “This is what occurred in this case, and it prompted immediate action by the church.”

Within days, general authority Craig Zwick, then a member of the faith’s Seventy, was dispatched to Puerto Rico to take over the mission.

“This is a tragic and heartbreaking case of deception and betrayal that has impacted the lives of a number of people,” Hawkins said. “When church leaders learned of what had occurred, the mission president was immediately and dishonorably released from his position, sent home and excommunicated.”

“Without question, these actions were reprehensible, immoral and against the laws of God and the standards of the church.”

"This is a tragic and heartbreaking case of deception and betrayal that has impacted the lives of a number of people."

"Within days."

“When church leaders learned of what had occurred, the mission president was immediately and dishonorably released from his position, sent home and excommunicated.”

This man betrayed the trust given to him.  That is tragic.  For his victims, mostly, but also for him and his standing before God, and for the Church.

1 hour ago, bsjkki said:

Im not sure excommunication was enough punishment for this man who clearly did something very wrong.

Probably not.  But I am very grateful that the Church did nothing more.  I don't want the Church to be in the business of enforcing civil laws, or of punishing members of the Church in violation of its own mandate in D&C 134:10:

We believe that all religious societies have a right to deal with their members for disorderly conduct, according to the rules and regulations of such societies; provided that such dealings be for fellowship and good standing; but we do not believe that any religious society has authority to try men on the right of property or life, to take from them this world’s goods, or to put them in jeopardy of either life or limb, or to inflict any physical punishment upon them. They can only excommunicate them from their society, and withdraw from them their fellowship.

Punishment is best left to those with civil authority to mete it out, and otherwise to God.

Thanks,

-Smac

Is there a hotline number for missionaries to call to report issues with their mission president? A sort of whistle blower hotline?

I don't think so.

Are missionaries briefed in their MTC training about what to do in the event of suspected Mission President misconduct?

I don't think so.

-Smac

4 minutes ago, Duncan said:

That I don't know, I had heard his wife had physical problems as well, maybe he stole money to pay for bills? who knows

I read that his wife has MS (while looking more into this).  Someone posted elsewhere that he was attempting live polygamy while serving as mission president.  Wonder if that's true?

He was called to be a Stake President back in 2006:

http://www.ldschurchnewsarchive.com/articles/49109/New-stake-presidents.html

Edited by ALarson
1 minute ago, ALarson said:

I read that his wife has MS (while looking more into this).  Someone posted elsewhere that he was attempting live polygamy while serving as mission president.  Wonder if that's true?

he probably stole to pay for her bills or not? I really don't know. He probably should have been given more consideration prior to being called as  a mission president!!!! 

1 hour ago, bsjkki said:

I think a hotline would be unnecessary at this point.  A missionary concerned about misconduct by a mission president has all sorts of ways to let the Church know about it.

Look at this matter.  A sister missionary called her stake president.  He immediately notified the Church  The Church took immediate action.  No "hotline" needed.

I think a hotline is a solution in search of a problem.

Thanks,

-Smac

Just now, ALarson said:

He wouldn't be the only Mormon who at some point starts to think that there should be an exception for his exceptional self.

1 hour ago, bsjkki said:

Puerto Rico has a definition for sexual assault that fits this situation perfectly. 

i understand not putting the victim through the trauma if they choose not to pursue charges but excommunication is not enough punishment for this man. Authorities were most likely never notified and he was sent stateside ASAP. Sad case all around. 

How do you know the authorities in Puerto Rico were not notified?

-Smac

When you have questions or concerns, your first source of help is your Father in Heaven. Seek His guidance through the scriptures and personal revelation. Your companion and your district and zone leaders are your next sources of support. They can help you with everyday matters. For special needs, such as illness or confidential matters, talk with your mission president.

https://www.lds.org/manual/missionary-handbook/missionary-organization?lang=eng

Communicating with Family

Write to your family each week on preparation day. Limit correspondence with others. Share your spiritual experiences. Never include anything confidential, sensitive, or negative about the areas where you serve.

Stay Together. Never be alone. It is extremely important that you stay with your companion at all times. Staying together means staying within sight and hearing of each other. The only times you should be separated from your assigned companion are when you are in an interview with the mission president, on a companion exchange, or in the bathroom.

Your loyalty is first to the Lord, then to your mission president, then to your companion.

I can’t seem to find the section containing advice for missionaries on what to do when the problem is their Mission President.

Edited by Marginal Gains