Women'S Hats In Church !

So, I have never seen an episode of Downton Abbey, and so many of my friends have that I think that I must do so. Some are even speaking of a Downton Abbey clothing line! So, in one magazine, I see the cutest hat and it seems as if "Tar Jay" will be selling it! :) OH wow ! So, years and years ago, we wore hats in church, but the men had to doff theirs. I wonder that correct LDS custom is for women?

So, I have never seen an episode of Downton Abbey, and so many of my friends have that I think that I must do so. Some are even speaking of a Downton Abbey clothing line! So, in one magazine, I see the cutest hat and it seems as if "Tar Jay" will be selling it! :) OH wow ! So, years and years ago, we wore hats in church, but the men had to doff theirs. I wonder that correct LDS custom is for women?

I see women do it on ocassion as long as I am not sitting behind them then it make me no nevermind

OH, I want a great huge one, like the English royalty wear ! :)

For a while after William and Kate's Royal Wedding, numerous sisters wore hats to church... there is no LDS "custom" per se, but it used to be that women wore hats more generally than they do today, i.e., we were taught in our 1950's high school business classes that the proper way to a job interview was a conservative dress, heels, hat and gloves... in the 60's that sort of softened, and by the 70's and 80's was almost nil. And today? The casualness of attire in a job interview boggles my mind.

GG

I wear xlarge in men's hats...which limits my choice in hat styles, thankfully I like men's styles**** more than women's but alas my fedora that I used to wear to church has seen better days.

*****except I would love one of those big floppy beach hats.

Edited by calmoriah

Having lived and worked in the South for several decades, I have observed hats in LDS churches, more in rural than city environments.

Hat wearing is far more a female adventure, based on my observation, than a male one, far more done in African American congregations than white ones, and almost never observed in LDS congregations.

It is socially acceptable for women to wear hats in Church, and expected of men to remove theirs. Unless you are Jewish, I have known of a couple of Jewish men who came to Church and they dressed according to their custom.