Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

How Can Seminary Be Improved?


Recommended Posts

Posted

As long as the seminary teachers are not as wacky as the BYU Religion teacher who told my friend's daughter, in class last week, that she could only feel the spirit when she was wearing a dress, I think the the program may be worthwhile.

Posted

I never saw the value in memorizing scriptures. I feel like truly understanding them would be a better use of time. Do they still spend a lot of time teaching how to find specific scriptures in the combo quickly? It seems like that's a less useful skill when most teens just use their mobile devices, not the actual books.

But what if you are teaching someone?

"Uh, there's this scripture somewhere, and it kind of says something like this I think..."

Not too effective

Posted

There's a difference between an identifying mark and a curse. The mark had to do with skin color, but the curse was separation from God. I don't know that any of the "latest in apologetic thinking" is required beyond that.

If there's a 1:1 correlation between the mark and the curse, the rest is just semantics.

Posted

As for seminary, I would feel a lot better if there were at least a discussion about the collateral damage...

Yeah one of my sons tried to show support for an embattled seminary teacher who had switched to early morning seminary, but gave up when he fell asleep at the wheel. Some of the over achieving kids like him could have used a little consideration from the Church with regards to scheduling.

Posted

I never saw the value in memorizing scriptures. I feel like truly understanding them would be a better use of time. Do they still spend a lot of time teaching how to find specific scriptures in the combo quickly? It seems like that's a less useful skill when most teens just use their mobile devices, not the actual books.

Our ward encourages the use of actual books, especially for the youth. Things may be changing, but for now, missionaries use books when teaching, and the ability to know where a scripture is and find it is key when teaching. For me, it is much easier to visualize where a scripture is located or marked on a physical page than it is on a virtual one. It may be the way my 20th century brain is wired.

Posted

I never saw the value in memorizing scriptures. I feel like truly understanding them would be a better use of time. Do they still spend a lot of time teaching how to find specific scriptures in the combo quickly? It seems like that's a less useful skill when most teens just use their mobile devices, not the actual books.

Do you think this is a good strategy for missionaries who are called to places with no electricity and no internet, and people who don't have computers much less mobile devices?

Posted

Do you think this is a good strategy for missionaries who are called to places with no electricity and no internet, and people who don't have computers much less mobile devices?

Well don't we tend to hit the more prosperous areas anyway?

Posted

I vaguely remember seminary parties. I don't believe that happens anymore. Atleast not with my children. Did they get away from those? I also remember scripture chases, which were fun. Memorizing is difficult to me. I guess it can be a learned gift, my husband cites scriptures all the time, out of the blue, it's impressive.

I was considering calling the seminary building and speaking to the teacher to ask if there has been a change in curriculum. I know they will be learning church history starting in the fall. I'm so tempted to ask the teacher if they will discuss openly JS's wives, head in the hat, etc. Does anyone think this to be a bad idea? Seminary teachers don't live on boards like this, or like me saturate their lives in church history or atleast not the challenging church history.

Another thought, has anyone heard about online seminary? My sons seminary teacher mentioned it to me last year, when I was wondering if my son should even go because I wanted my son to get as many school credits as possible, because here in Utah it is part of their school day.

Posted

I vaguely remember seminary parties. I don't believe that happens anymore. Atleast not with my children. Did they get away from those? I also remember scripture chases, which were fun. Memorizing is difficult to me. I guess it can be a learned gift, my husband cites scriptures all the time, out of the blue, it's impressive.

I was considering calling the seminary building and speaking to the teacher to ask if there has been a change in curriculum. I know they will be learning church history starting in the fall. I'm so tempted to ask the teacher if they will discuss openly JS's wives, head in the hat, etc. Does anyone think this to be a bad idea? Seminary teachers don't live on boards like this, or like me saturate their lives in church history or atleast not the challenging church history.

Another thought, has anyone heard about online seminary? My sons seminary teacher mentioned it to me last year, when I was wondering if my son should even go because I wanted my son to get as many school credits as possible, because here in Utah it is part of their school day.

I doubt that I could have talked many of my kids into giving up part of their school day -- most were already complaining that they couldn't take all the classes they wanted and were wrestling with trying to stay in music programs, etc.

Posted (edited)

Well don't we tend to hit the more prosperous areas anyway?

Tell that to a wonderful young man in my stake who just returned from Tonga where he was, for a portion of his mission, on an island with 700 people who essentially lived off the land, what crops they had planted, and what fish they caught. No plumbing, no electricity, no running water except as provided by running to the well.

Under those conditions a mobile device is less useful than a rock. At least, with a thrown rock, you might bag a seagull for lunch. ;)

Incidentally, that missionary testified that without his seminary training- the "hardship" of getting there at 6 am to memorize scriptures, he would not have been able to complete his mission. He already had the discipline from seminary to do what he needed to do.

Edited by mfbukowski
Posted

I vaguely remember seminary parties. I don't believe that happens anymore. Atleast not with my children. Did they get away from those? I also remember scripture chases, which were fun. Memorizing is difficult to me. I guess it can be a learned gift, my husband cites scriptures all the time, out of the blue, it's impressive.

I was considering calling the seminary building and speaking to the teacher to ask if there has been a change in curriculum. I know they will be learning church history starting in the fall. I'm so tempted to ask the teacher if they will discuss openly JS's wives, head in the hat, etc. Does anyone think this to be a bad idea? Seminary teachers don't live on boards like this, or like me saturate their lives in church history or atleast not the challenging church history.

Another thought, has anyone heard about online seminary? My sons seminary teacher mentioned it to me last year, when I was wondering if my son should even go because I wanted my son to get as many school credits as possible, because here in Utah it is part of their school day.

I think you are painting seminary teachers/CES personnel with a broad brush. Those I know, (and having been one myself) are pretty well-versed in gospel topics as well as historical issues. Of course there will be individual variability, but by and large I see seminary teachers as a fairly informed group. The question becomes, what is the purpose of Seminary? This has been discussed here previously.

Posted

Personally, I'm not a great fan of Seminary.

I can see the benefits but there are downsides.

Posted

Well don't we tend to hit the more prosperous areas anyway?

We came across missionaries in small towns in Russia that were quite out of the way and I've known missionaries that have gone into slum areas, onto reservations so even in the States, they may not have great access to electronics.
Posted

I think you are painting seminary teachers/CES personnel with a broad brush. Those I know, (and having been one myself) are pretty well-versed in gospel topics as well as historical issues. Of course there will be individual variability, but by and large I see seminary teachers as a fairly informed group. The question becomes, what is the purpose of Seminary? This has been discussed here previously.

Out of four teachers that I had, I would say one was well versed in history, one was semiwellversed and one I can't remember while the other one was an elderly woman who was probably a last resort who pretty much just read out of the BoM manual that year. I can't imagine why they thought she would work well with teens, it was a worthless match. That would have been in the early 70s in San Fran.

OTOH, my son loved all of his teachers, said they were very well versed in what they were studying and he certainly appeared to be familiar with the in depth stuff as well as the controversies. That would have been in the middle and late 90s in Calgary.

Posted

That would have been in the early 70s in San Fran.

Seminary in The Haight?

Holy cow- no wonder we have a lot in common! ;)

Posted (edited)

Seminary in The Haight?

Holy cow- no wonder we have a lot in common! ;)

Actually in Redwood City, but I lived in several places in the area starting with being born in San Fran, so I just blur them all together under the one label.

And I don't see seminary as having contributed anything to my theological knowledge save for a recognition that I much preferred studying on my own as daily religion courses were terminally boring for me (having read pretty much all the stuff years before encountering it in seminary except for church history which at the time didn't interest me at all). And the religion classes at BYU confirmed this stance for me except for the ones I was able to take from Victor Ludlow on the OT. Unfortunately at the time I was not that proactive of a student and chose teachers by time of the class rather than quality and style of teaching. If only I knew then what I know now....

Edited by calmoriah
Posted

If only I knew then what I know now....

That tends to be a universal feeling! ;)

Posted

Seminary in The Haight?

Holy cow- no wonder we have a lot in common! ;)

My wife and I went to San Francisco a few years back and spent several days. We had never been there before.

We spend an afternoon in the Haight. Talk about walking into a time warp! It was a blast.

Posted

My son served in the Oakland mission and awhile after he returned we took a family vacation to visit areas of that mission and spent time in San Fran! Loved Chinatown and the whole city. And of course Alcatraz, which may not be availble in the future for tourists to see. Unless they get more funding I heard. To have lived in that environment, not Alcatraz but SF, would be an education in and of itself, with so much diversity.

Posted

Our ward encourages the use of actual books, especially for the youth. Things may be changing, but for now, missionaries use books when teaching, and the ability to know where a scripture is and find it is key when teaching. For me, it is much easier to visualize where a scripture is located or marked on a physical page than it is on a virtual one. It may be the way my 20th century brain is wired.

Good points. I'm just overly-connected and hate memorizing. :D For teaching, you guys are right that it's still essential. I just wish it wasn't.

Posted

My wife and I went to San Francisco a few years back and spent several days. We had never been there before.

We spend an afternoon in the Haight. Talk about walking into a time warp! It was a blast.

It's a really great city- I loved the foggy days too. Before I was a member I spent a lot of time in the fog there, even when it was a sunny day. ;)

If you really want to start a fight just call it "Frisco".

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...