Stone holm Posted July 1, 2013 Posted July 1, 2013 Tell that to a wonderful young man in my stake who just returned from Tonga where he was, for a portion of his mission, on an island with 700 people who essentially lived off the land, what crops they had planted, and what fish they caught. No plumbing, no electricity, no running water except as provided by running to the well.Under those conditions a mobile device is less useful than a rock. At least, with a thrown rock, you might bag a seagull for lunch. Incidentally, that missionary testified that without his seminary training- the "hardship" of getting there at 6 am to memorize scriptures, he would not have been able to complete his mission. He already had the discipline from seminary to do what he needed to do.I try to always throw in the disclaimer about foreign countries in what I say the snarky stuff about our practices regarding the gathering -- I don't think my comments apply to foreign missions. And our missionaries here go into such areas, but the aim normally is to extract people from them.
Recommended Posts