Temple Envelopes

I'm going to try to ask this carefully without breaking any rules, it is not my intention to so I beg to the holy moderator(s) forgiveness if I do and to freeze this post if so. :sad: But I do hope I get some advise... lol

The reason I think its safe to ask however is because anyone and their mother can walk into a Deseret Book Store and ask, talk, touch, feel these things.

So I've been going to the temple for many years and mostly rent my temple ceremonial clothing for convenience purposes. However, my wife and I traveled the country for the first time while dropping off our son at the MTC in Utah and also visited temple's along the way. We brought our own temple ceremonial clothing however because we weren't sure if the temples we would visit would have that option or not.

Since we were going to Utah, I wanted to purchase a new 'envelope' for my own ceremonial clothing. I don't like the one I have and have always wanted an exact version of what the temples use and rent out to patrons. The difference...

My version: (and every one I've seen advertised) - opens in the middle and has a flap that closes, is loose.

Temples version: opens at the top, no flap and keeps the clothing snug/tight

I like the Temples version but could not find anywhere in the places I visited in Utah that sell something like this? I even asked the person at Deseret Book Store if they sold any like that and the answer was just no?

Do anyone know where I could get one? Or even know where there might be a pattern where I could make one? Honestly it looks just like a tiny pillow case but I'm not sure if material, dimensions, etc.. need to be a certain way?

Edited by RegularMormon

Hello RegularMo...

I've never seen one as you describe... mine is just a rectangle with the opening along the top with a flap across the top... just like an envelope... hence the name. Guess they've changed the style. I got mine at a regular temple clothing distribution center years ago when I bought all of my clothes. Surely they must have the old style also somewhere. I don't see any reason not to make one...

GG

I'm going to try to ask this carefully without breaking any rules, it is not my intention to so I beg to the holy moderator(s) forgiveness if I do and to freeze this post if so. :sad: But I do hope I get some advise... lol

The reason I think its safe to ask however is because anyone and their mother can walk into a Deseret Book Store and ask, talk, touch, feel these things.

So I've been going to the temple for many years and mostly rent my temple ceremonial clothing for convenience purposes. However, my wife and I traveled the country for the first time while dropping off our son at the MTC in Utah and also visited temple's along the way. We brought our own temple ceremonial clothing however because we weren't sure if the temples we would visit would have that option or not.

Since we were going to Utah, I wanted to purchase a new 'envelope' for my own ceremonial clothing. I don't like the one I have and have always wanted an exact version of what the temples use and rent out to patrons. The difference...

My version: (and every one I've seen advertised) - opens in the middle and has a flap that closes, is loose.

Temples version: opens at the top, no flap and keeps the clothing snug/tight

I like the Temples version but could not find anywhere in the places I visited in Utah that sell something like this? I even asked the person at Deseret Book Store if they sold any like that and the answer was just no?

Do anyone know where I could get one? Or even know where there might be a pattern where I could make one? Honestly it looks just like a tiny pillow case but I'm not sure if material, dimensions, etc.. need to be a certain way?

Like GG I got mine many years ago. Don't know if they still make them or not. However it shouldn't be too hard to sew one.

Usually the online store carries everything that the temple uses, sometime the description even says that it is the rental version, you might want to check there. Unfortunately you wont be able to feel its the same version through the web. Here is the link: http://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category3_715839595_10557_21152_-1_Y_image_0

Hello RegularMo...

I've never seen one as you describe... mine is just a rectangle with the opening along the top with a flap across the top... just like an envelope... hence the name. Guess they've changed the style. I got mine at a regular temple clothing distribution center years ago when I bought all of my clothes. Surely they must have the old style also somewhere. I don't see any reason not to make one...

GG

I got mine from a distribution center and I really dislike it. It opens at the top, has a flap, but it won't "close" and it is very annoying. I think GG's idea to make your own is a great idea. I've thought of this, and I would definitely install a quiet zipper at the top so I can actually CLOSE it.

I got mine from a distribution center and I really dislike it. It opens at the top, has a flap, but it won't "close" and it is very annoying. I think GG's idea to make your own is a great idea. I've thought of this, and I would definitely install a quiet zipper at the top so I can actually CLOSE it.

I've seen people put in white velcro, or a snap, etc. I keep meaning to add something to mine to help keep it closed.

edit to add: I keep meaning to add a pocket to the bottom of my slip to hold the envelope.

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

I struggle with mine. It has to be straight pinned to keep it closed, never thought of velcroing it!

Do you really want that Velcro sound when your opening the envelope during a session? I don't know about the larger temples but in the smaller ones I can imagine it becoming quite annoying.

I've seen people put in white velcro, or a snap, etc. I keep meaning to add something to mine to help keep it closed.

edit to add: I keep meaning to add a pocket to the bottom of my slip to hold the envelope.

GG

I'm not sure velcro is a good idea. Velcro is not quiet. Although I guess if you take it easy opening it ...

Megalodon's idea of a quiet zipper seems best.

Edited by Stargazer

I'm not sure velcro is a good idea. Velcro is not quiet. Although I guess if you take it easy opening it ...

Megalodon's idea of a quiet zipper seems best.

I agree... maybe Velcro isn't a good idea... some people put a "frog" or a snap...\

GG