How Does Your Ward/Branch Do Christmas Hampers?

Duncan

Yeah, i've never heard of 'christmas hampers' but in our last ward we did thanksgiving and christmas boxes.

It was a full participation event. The RS would gather enough donated food for about 20 families and have it at the church on a wednesday night ready to go (and would also pack the food after the boxes were ready). The YW would assemble and decorate the boxes (they always turned out beautifully-almost professionally done thanks to the talents of some of the counselors) and the YM (changed from a typo) and bishopric would deliver them to the families.

It was always a lot of work but so worth it!

Edit to add-at the same time as making the boxes, we would make goodie plates for widows and the elderly in our ward to be delivered, who didn't need a whole box of food but who needed to be reminded of how much we loved them. We would usually do about 15 of those-which were also very nicely decorated with fancy ribbons and a card.

Edited by bluebell

Yeah, i've never heard of 'christmas hampers' but in our last ward we did thanksgiving and christmas boxes.

It was a full participation event. The RS would gather enough donated food for about 20 families and have it at the church on a wednesday night ready to go (and would also pack the food after the boxes were ready). The YW would assemble and decorate the boxes (they always turned out beautifully-almost professionally done thanks to the talents of some of the counselors) and the YW and bishopric would deliver them to the families.

Edit to add-at the same time as making the boxes, we would make goodie plates for widows and the elderly in our ward to be delivered, who didn't need a whole box of food but who needed to be reminded of how much we loved them. We would usually do about 15 of those-which were also very nicely decorated with fancy ribbons and a card.

Great idea. Now if there was a way to get the EQ and YM involved...

It was a full participation event. The RS would gather enough donated food for about 20 families and have it at the church on a wednesday night ready to go (and would also pack the food after the boxes were ready). The YW would assemble and decorate the boxes (they always turned out beautifully-almost professionally done thanks to the talents of some of the counselors) and the YW and bishopric would deliver them to the families.

OH... MY... WORD!!!!!!!! You haven't ever heard of the term Christmas hampers????? I just fell off my chesterfield. Same concept but yours sound SO much better then the ones we have done! I know that several ladies here have done cookies and plates and snicky snack stuff year round. I don't know that I have ever heard of a thanksgiving hamper

Edited by Duncan

I don't know what you crazy Canadians do with your hampers on Christmas but in the good ol USA we use our hampers for clothes... Year round.

we differentiate between hamper and laundry basket, which is what I have always called it!!!

Thanksgiving is much bigger in the States than Canada. Two days off of work for one thing....

that is very, very true! I recall my last thanksgiving as a missionary preaching to the Southern Californians. Football and Thanksgiving are like a local religion. I went to three thanskgiving dinners in a row and man alive I was stuffed to the rafters after that! I slept through most of my American companion playing football with the local brethren

that is very, very true! I recall my last thanksgiving as a missionary preaching to the Southern Californians. Football and Thanksgiving are like a local religion. I went to three thanskgiving dinners in a row and man alive I was stuffed to the rafters after that! I slept through most of my American companion playing football with the local brethren

As an aside my wife and I just got back from a vacation in Canada. The War of 1812 is huge up there and here most do not even know who was involved in it, (althought most can guess the time period, lol).

As an aside my wife and I just got back from a vacation in Canada. The War of 1812 is huge up there and here most do not even know who was involved in it, (althought most can guess the time period, lol).

it's big in Ontario! is that where you were? I live west of Ontario

This is one of the reasons I love MD&D so much. I learn something new everday, now pick yourself back up off the floor Duncan!

I do what I can! ha! I am getting up quite nicely thank you!

Edited by Duncan

Great idea. Now if there was a way to get the EQ and YM involved...

Yeah, sorry-i meant that the YM delivered, not the YW! I honestly don't remember if the EQ was involved, which is sad, since i was in the YW presidency and was around for most of the process. I'm guessing they did something.

Yeah, sorry-i meant that the YM delivered, not the YW! I honestly don't remember if the EQ was involved, which is sad, since i was in the YW presidency and was around for most of the process. I'm guessing they did something.

I remember RS putting together the "Christmas hampers" and delivering them for years. But I really shouldn't get too upset especially after witnessing the EQ and High Priest doing alot of service like helping people move and one time putting on a new roof for an inactive needy family, even some of the older, older HP were involved.

Where the US invaded Canada and got their butts handed to them.....