Seriously No Politics ×

Newly Legal Marijuana And Wow

With the legalization of drugs MUST come the strong enforcement of laws which condemn and punish those who use and then put society at risk by driving or using machinery .Society has not been firm enough with DUI cases and we still get people with 10 or 20 DUI convictions and wait until such people kill someone before intervening. Drug and alcohol abuse and recovery programs should be widely available and mandatory from those who put the public at risk. Unfortunately ,I don't see that happening.

This I agree with. I actually lean toward legalization (perhaps a result of growing up in California ;) ) but I believe it should be regulated like alcohol plus much more strict penalities for misuse that harms others. I just don't get the reduced capacity condition that lessens the penalty for such behaviour when the person is at full capacity when s/he makes the decision to drink or drug full knowing that the drug (alcohol is as much of a drug as mj) has an effect on mental states and can result in really stupid behaviour, especially where it is repeat behaviour such as multiple DUIs.

Correct...this is a no brainer.

It's understood because it was stated that way specifically in the missionary discussions. My question is whether or not they will have to change the wording since marijuana no longer comes under the umbrella of illegal drugs. Caffeine is a dug, but not against the word of wisdom. How many bishops would ask if you're takng caffeine tablets to go to work in the morning?

And yet we see no positive outcomes of such a legalization, especially in regards to the changes in youth behavior that such a law change will bring about. The debate should have nothing to do with the WoW. Adding another easily procurable drug to the two, alcohol and tobacco, already available for youth to experiment with, bodes no one well. The cost to society long term will be staggering.

Alcohol is illegal for those under 21 in the USA even if the level of enforcement is questionable.

No. I believe that demand over time will decrease. Look at what happened to cigarettes in this country. While remaining legal demand is way down. Plus there probably will be less of the "Forbidden Fruit" problem.

I would agree with this.

Moreover, as comprehensive consumer research comes out it will become as ridiculous to smoke pot as it is becoming to smoke tobacco - of course that says nothing about conception in brownie form.

This I agree with. I actually lean toward legalization (perhaps a result of growing up in California ;) ) but I believe it should be regulated like alcohol plus much more strict penalities for misuse that harms others. I just don't get the reduced capacity condition that lessens the penalty for such behaviour when the person is at full capacity when s/he makes the decision to drink or drug full knowing that the drug (alcohol is as much of a drug as mj) has an effect on mental states and can result in really stupid behaviour, especially where it is repeat behaviour such as multiple DUIs.

I sometimes have wondered about legalization but think it should be monitered for medicinal purposes because (I know this is often repeated) it can be a gateway drug. When the user no longer gets anything out of using it will they move onto the stronger drug? I had some friends in high school, during a tough stage, that would smoke pot and I indeed saw a difference in their countenance. They were very peaceful and docile compared to the drunkards but they were reverting somehow and they became almost child like (stunted their growth) on occasion. Just my two cents worth.

Alcohol is illegal for those under 21 in the USA even if the level of enforcement is questionable.

While the drinking and/or procurement of alcohol may have a legal age limit, adults may possess alcohol without fear of fines and/or imprisonment. The same cannot be said for drugs. While i think the penalties for drug possession within the US are ludicrous, taking the step to legalize marijuana will have serious future costs.

I sometimes have wondered about legalization but think it should be monitered for medicinal purposes because (I know this is often repeated) it can be a gateway drug. When the user no longer gets anything out of using it will they move onto the stronger drug? I had some friends in high school, during a tough stage, that would smoke pot and I indeed saw a difference in their countenance. They were very peaceful and docile compared to the drunkards but they were reverting somehow and they became almost child like (stunted their growth) on occasion. Just my two cents worth.

Here is a link to an interesting article in Time magazine entitled - Marijuana as a gateway drug: The myth that will not die.

http://healthland.time.com/2010/10/29/marijuna-as-a-gateway-drug-the-myth-that-will-not-die/

Here is a link to an interesting article in Time magazine entitled - Marijuana as a gateway drug: The myth that will not die.

http://healthland.ti...t-will-not-die/

Here's a little snip-it for those of you who do not want to read the whole article: "

Holland began liberalizing its marijuana laws in part to close this particular gateway — and indeed now the country has slightly fewer young pot-smokers who move on to harder drugs compared with other nations, including the U.S."

While this may be so, I suspect it is easier for a teenager to grab a beer out of the refrig or pantry or whereever it is kept than it is to grab a joint off the kitchen shelf.

That's true, but if a kid has a choice between a joint and beer, I would hope that the kid picks the joint over the beer any day of the week. Alcohol is a far more deadly drug health-wise, with far more negative consequences in terms of domestic violence, other crime, and road fatalities.

If legalizing MJ means fewer kids drinking, or at least drinking less often...bring on the MJ.

That's true, but if a kid has a choice between a joint and beer, I would hope that the kid picks the joint over the beer any day of the week. Alcohol is a far more deadly drug health-wise, with far more negative consequences in terms of domestic violence, other crime, and road fatalities.

If legalizing MJ means fewer kids drinking, or at least drinking less often...bring on the MJ.

I agree with you about MJ-i also believe it is far less dangerous than beer. However, i don't think that legalizing pot will have any effect on lessing alcohol use. It's too much of a social convention in this country. And it's too addictive for certain parts of the population.

I agree with you about MJ-i also believe it is far less dangerous than beer. However, i don't think that legalizing pot will have any effect on lessing alcohol use. It's too much of a social convention in this country. And it's too addictive for certain parts of the population.

You may be right, but here are some interesting figures (realizing that correlation does not imply causation):

"Marijuana use among teens rose in 2011 for the fourth straight year—a sharp contrast to the considerable decline that had occurred in the preceding decade. Daily marijuana use is now at a 30-year peak level among high school seniors."

"Alcohol use—and, importantly, occasions of heavy drinking—continued a long-term gradual decline among teens, reaching historically low levels in 2011"

This info was taken from: http://www.sampler.isr.umich.edu/2012/research/marijuana-use-continues-to-rise-among-u-s-teens-while-alcohol-use-hits-historic-lows/

While it may not be proof, it is evidence worth looking into further.

I put good odds on the possibility that anyone who thinks marijuana is ok for Mormons just because it is legal is already a user. 8)

Lol, you are right, those are probably pretty good odds! So far, I haven't seen anybody make that claim yet.

Why is your emoticon wearing sun-glasses and chewing gum? Highly suspect!

I just watched a youtube video called Portugal's Fix. About 15 min. long. Portugal legalized the use of ALL drugs for personal use only, 10 years ago. It is an Australian program called 'dateline' that presents it and discusses pros and cons. Very interesting.Sorry,don't know how to link.

I just watched a youtube video called Portugal's Fix. About 15 min. long. Portugal legalized the use of ALL drugs for personal use only, 10 years ago. It is an Australian program called 'dateline' that presents it and discusses pros and cons. Very interesting.Sorry,don't know how to link.

I think it is a great idea to treat it as a health issue for the users, but that creates a problem with legally differentiating between dealer and user. Depending on what result one wants, I think needs to be addressed with more specific laws beyond general decriminalizing.

Edited by calmoriah