Why Do Topics Get Locked?

Buzzard

As someone who stumbled across this forum as a result of a google search, still only having posted less than a dozen times, obviously less intellectually gifted than some (most?) of the posters here, I have several times in just the last few days, devoured a page full of posts, went to offer my own poor insights, and found the topic locked. So why is it that so many get locked in such short order? Are there subjects that are taboo, is it solely at the discretion of the mod, or much like the stipulation that new members can only start topics in the "Social Hall", will I find with time and increasing posts that what is locked today is not locked next month to me?

Inquiring minds wanna know...

A topic may be locked for a variety of reasons.

The original poster (topic initiator) can close it because the question is answered, the discussion is too heated, or for any other reason he deems fit.

A mod may close a topic when the discussion is too personal, gets political, is too redundant (circular never-ending postings of the same material. or any other reason he deems fit.

I have had the same experience, even having written marvelously erudite responses to helf-baked posings, only to find the topic has been locked while I was composing said retort. 'Tis indeed frustrating.

Lehi

Or, if you've read the topic and are ready to reply but haven't logged in yet, all of the topics will appear as locked until you log in. As much as I love vast, evil-laugh-inducing conspiracies (Bwah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah! ;)) it could be as simple as that.

I was just noticing that some, like the Romney thread in "News", get zapped after a few posts, others seem to have several pages of posts before they are shut down. And some locked topics seemed to my limited understanding to be well inbounds. I was not aware that the originator of a thread could lock it, that might explain why an active thread with multiple pages is shut down.

stupid comments, name calling junk,politics, sin based confessions,Temple related material, and a few other subjects that aren't appropriate and that no one wants to read about

Also duplication and too personal stuff (though most personal stuff is allowed in Social Hall, except for ones looking for personal advice that would come better in a face to face scenario)

I was just noticing that some, like the Romney thread in "News", get zapped after a few posts, others seem to have several pages of posts before they are shut down.

A lot has to do with if anyone is interested in reporting it or not as mods don't read all threads and may not even be on the board unless notified by someone that a thread or post is a problem.

I was just noticing that some, like the Romney thread in "News", get zapped after a few posts, others seem to have several pages of posts before they are shut down. And some locked topics seemed to my limited understanding to be well inbounds. I was not aware that the originator of a thread could lock it, that might explain why an active thread with multiple pages is shut down.

Political threads must be directly related to religion to survive. A thread that is only about a political candidate is not appropriate for this forum. Any implication that God is backing a particular party will likely result in a poster being banned from the thread or if it is too far gone the thread will be shut down. Also there are some hot button topics that rarely end well that are limited to one or two threads at a time. And sometimes a mod may just go beserk. :tribal:

Political threads must be directly related to religion to survive. A thread that is only about a political candidate is not appropriate for this forum. Any implication that God is backing a particular party will likely result in a poster being banned from the thread or if it is too far gone the thread will be shut down.

God is a Republican.

Also there are some hot button topics that rarely end well that are limited to one or two threads at a time.

Like BYU-vs-Utah football.

And sometimes a mod may just go beserk. :tribal:

A million posts, plus? Tell me about it! ;)

Edited by Kenngo1969

Yeah, that thread originator thing was something I was unaware of until I just started one myself -- suddenly I see a Moderation button in the topic. Of course, that may be a feature of having a certain number of posts. Either that, or the button is intended to keep me moderate.

:D

Good luck with that last one if that is the case.

• 4 months later...

I didn't previously have any posts at this forum, but thought I'd start. I locating a topic where I knew I could contribute, I noticed that there was no Post] button. Instead, at the upper-right corner was a red-boxed notice that read, This topic is locked. Given the fact that there was only one reply, and the OP's question was not decidedly answered ... it seems that the topic might have been prematurely locked.

Since I am John L. Sorenson's son, and since I am doing all the mapping illustrations for the text, I do have information regarding it's publication schedule.

Thanks for listening.

Some topics are locked just due to being older. It prevents someone from opening up an old thread expecting a response from someone who may not even be posting on the board anymore.

In your case I would contact the mods and ask that it be reopened if age is an issue.

If you like I would be happy to start a thread for you in the main forum, just give me a title and topic line....

When you reach 25 posts you will be able to post your own topic in the main forum as well as edit your posts. One way to quickly build up posts is to go join the three word thread pinned at the top of this forum, for 75 words or so, you get bumped up to full status.

It sure would be convenient if I were able to edit the mistakes in my posts. =)

You will get there. 25 posts and a whole new world opens up. In the meantime, type carefully.

I guess this will be it. 8P

Several days ago I sent a PM (personal message) to a senior moderator (Chaos) requesting that the "Mormon's Codex" topic be reopened. When I got no reply, I assumed that perhaps he's not that frequent a visitor to the forum. I then sent another PM to an individual here who has been VERY active here over these last several days, asking which moderator is the most active. I received no response from him. Now the question ... is a new member unable to successfully send PMs if they don't have at least 25 posts?

I don't have a clue. Too late to test it with me....but I think you are right. I am sorry, I should have "reported" your post, I usually think of doing that when I see someone asking for mod's attention that are new.

However, now you should try it again and if it still doesn't work you'll know they just don't like you. ;)

Can you report a locked thread? If so, you could do a report on the first post of "Mormon's Codex" for them to reopen it.

Good luck and mention in here if you still are having problems and someone will likely step up and help (I am hoping to go to bed now, had an allnighter last night....too much fun during the day, I guess, and I am finally thinking my eyes might cooperate about staying shut for awhile so if you wait for me, it might not be till tonight).

Oh, one more option you could try if no PM answer, start a new thread with the same title, report yourself and ask them to either merge the old thread with your new one or just open the old one and delete that one.

Thanks for the great suggestions. I didn't think about clicking the Report button at the bottom of the last post in the Mormon's Codex thread. I've done as you recommended. 8)

[ I can now EDIT! ]

Edited by cursor