I Think Someone Here Has A Sock-Puppet…

I stumbled across a profile of someone who posts here, who has some strange ideas…often chides others in a condescending way. Despite this his rep points are double some of the most talented pundits on this site…I certainly do not include myself in that role. I have not even reached 100. Without proof, should I notify the mods. In fact I have never seen a higher rating.

Having no hard proof, I will under no circumstances give the name, except to the mods privately...what would you do?

You have been banned before for pot-stirring personal posts. Give that some thought before you use our Discussion Folder again.

I stumbled across a profile of someone who posts here, who has some strange ideas…often chides others in a condescending way. Despite this his rep points are double some of the most talented pundits on this site…I certainly do not include myself in that role. I have not even reached 100. Without proof, should I notify the mods. In fact I have never seen a higher rating.

Having no hard proof, I will under no circumstances give the name, except to the mods privately...what would you do?

I think if you are concerned you should point it out to them. If there's something to it, they can look into it.

But I agree with Lehi about the rep points. Papa, the points tell us someone 'liked' a post, but what does that mean? We have no explanation of what they 'liked' about it--for all we know they have an understanding with another poster to 'like' eachother's stuff, no matter what it says. Or it may be that they 'liked' that someone zinged another poster who they don't like.

If the points have come to mean that posters with more points are better or smarter or more likeable, then IMO, they are not a good thing. Then the points become just another way to create competition among posters and establish a kind of 'caste' system among particpants.

And if you come to this board for validation, you'll probably be disappointed.

...then I started looking at the brights and best to compare.

Interesting. It might be fun. Is there a sorting mechanism or something?

They're visible when you look at someone's profile, I know. But going through and looking individually seems like a monumental job. It would take more dedication than I could muster, I know.

Oh, well.

Lehi

Don't tell me you just figured out who Xander was.

I think if you are concerned you should point it out to them. If there's something to it, they can look into it.

But I agree with Lehi about the rep points. Papa, the points tell us someone 'liked' a post, but what does that mean? We have no explanation of what they 'liked' about it--for all we know they have an understanding with another poster to 'like' eachother's stuff, no matter what it says. Or it may be that they 'liked' that someone zinged another poster who they don't like.

If the points have come to mean that posters with more points are better or smarter or more likeable, then IMO, they are not a good thing. Then the points become just another way to create competition among posters and establish a kind of 'caste' system among particpants.

"Zingers" do get a lot of points. Maybe that is it.

If it is the person I think it is, I think the points are for real.

Does it make any difference if they are not? Do you believe the sock puppet is being used for anything besides to give himself extra points? If not, I wouldn't worry about it as I don't see any individual using the rep points to make him/herself into some kind of authority or anything else for that matter.

Interesting. It might be fun. Is there a sorting mechanism or something?

They're visible when you look at someone's profile, I know. But going through and looking individually seems like a monumental job. It would take more dedication than I could muster, I know.

Oh, well.

Lehi

After seeing the one...buy clicking on the wrong thing. I then picked 10 of those who shine at this kind of thing...they did not even compare. No big deal, just asking for advice.

I have noticed that some politically themed and verging on politically themed posts garner an unusual amount of rep points so this might add to a greater amount of points as opposed to someone who keeps to strictly academically themed posts.

Yours is 247...indeed no slouch. Good job.

Papa, what do YOU think the points represent?

As for me, I stand by what I said. After you brought it up, I looked at some of the posters' rep points. I don't think they are a valid gauge of quality. Some of the more argumentative posters have high points. This fits with what Calmoriah said, too.

I wouldn't think or do much if anything about it.

It's essentially the same person who is writing, even though they're writing under 2 (or possibly more) different names, so what's the real differnce between them writing under only one name or writing under several different names.

Just a different/additional name, and probably a different/additional picture/avatar, with the same personality behind everything they write.

Based on that assumption I must be the anti-Christ, without knowing it. :ph34r:

The position of THE anti-Christ is taken by someone we usually refer to as Satan.

You can be "an" anti-Christ, though, if you really want to be, but get used to the fact that the position of THE anti-Christ has already been taken.

All too true!

I know I have spent a lot of time, and expended a lot of effort into answering a question. Now, I know I am more than a bit conceited, but it seems these messages get "dissed", as it were, by not getting an "honorable mention" via Rep Points. But it seems I'll get a Rep Point for a "throw away" a good deal of the time.

Believe me, Rep Points are no indication of anything's being concrete, or useful, or even interesting. It's a reflection, as far as I can tell, about how the reader feels about something you've written, not about the quality it may have, nor even about the subject matter.

And, as I have found out, it's all too easy to click the "+" button when I've meant to "Reply". I can recall three times in the last few weeks where that's happened. So the system is not very reliable even if it had any serious meaning. "Operator head space", to be sure, but the gun don't fire.

It's all fun'n'games. At least in my view.

Now, as to sock puppets. Well, that's an entirely different matter. 'Tain't fun, and it's no game.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

I was going to cash in my points for some cool stuff at the Moderator Point Store, but they told me I didn't have enough points to even enter the door!

All too true!

I know I have spent a lot of time, and expended a lot of effort into answering a question. Now, I know I am more than a bit conceited, but it seems these messages get "dissed", as it were, by not getting an "honorable mention" via Rep Points. But it seems I'll get a Rep Point for a "throw away" a good deal of the time.

I'm not sure the majority of posts are even read. I am often surprised by comments from posters where its clear they did not read any of the previous posts. And yet, there seems to be no shortage of reputation points being doled out to the favored few. ;)

Believe me, Rep Points are no indication of anything's being concrete, or useful, or even interesting. It's a reflection, as far as I can tell, about how the reader feels about something you've written, not about the quality it may have, nor even about the subject matter.

I agree, which is why I told Papa, he shouldn't worry about them.

And, as I have found out, it's all too easy to click the "+" button when I've meant to "Reply". I can recall three times in the last few weeks where that's happened. So the system is not very reliable even if it had any serious meaning. "Operator head space", to be sure, but the gun don't fire.

It's all fun'n'games. At least in my view.

Now, as to sock puppets. Well, that's an entirely different matter. 'Tain't fun, and it's no game.

Lehi

About the sock puppets;

Ahab, Lehi is right, sock puppets are no game here at Mormon Dialogue--You might want to read the board guidelines, because I could be wrong, but I think that making a sockpuppet can get a poster banned. Sockpuppets might be okay on other boards--I know Mormon Discussions encourages them. It makes an otherwise less populated board seem like there are many more active members.

Rameumptom: I was going to cash in my points for some cool stuff at the Moderator Point Store, but they told me I didn't have enough points to even enter the door!

Maybe if we pooled our points we could get a key chain or pencil and eraser set.

We could take turns using it. ;)

I gave you a rep point cause that was funny

The points mean nothing, Thats right, the points are like .......

A microphone at a britney spears concert.

A double cheeseburger to a vegetarian.

The other guy in Wham!

Fathers day at Madonna's house.

A clock to a BYU college student

An accordian in an unlocked car.

Steak sauce in India.

Nutrition facts on a Happy Meal.

:crazy: