Ask to become a high priest

Doctrine 612

One of the members in my ward came to me asking if he could be ordained a high priest, he is 26 and has been attending the high priest group for 5 years now as an elder. the bishop before me place him there because they felt he would get along better with them.

I ask you what you think about this, and if you have ever come upon this in you neck of the woods or is this a singular event, also what do you think should happen.

i ask only because this is new to me.

One of the members in my ward came to me asking if he could be ordained a high priest, he is 26 and has been attending the high priest group for 5 years now as an elder. the bishop before me place him there because they felt he would get along better with them.

I ask you what you think about this, and if you have ever come upon this in you neck of the woods or is this a

singular event, also what do you think should happen.

I'm sure you know why someone would be ordained a high priest. Those reasons are usually decided on by the stake for a calling that requires that someone be a high priest.

I ask you what you think about this, and if you have ever come upon this in you neck of the woods or is this a singular event, also what do you think should happen.

High Priest

Brethren are ordained high priests when they are called to a stake presidency, high council, or bishopric or when otherwise determined by the stake president. The rights and responsibilities of high priests are to preside and to hold all the authority of elders (see D&C 107:10).

Source: http://lds.org/handbook/handbook-2-administering-the-church/melchizedek-priesthood?lang=eng&query=high+priest

For this situation it seems that only the Stake President can make the decision, the brother can be ordained a High Priest if the Stake President decides to do so.

Without knowing why was he moved to High Priests from Elder's Quorum, it is difficult to understand, regardless though this is an issue for the Bishop and Stake President to decide on, you best option is to bring this to the Bishop's attention.

It is not uncommon for some elders, especially older ones, to attend High Priests' meeting. However, unless there is some need determined by the stake president, it doesn't make much sense to ordain someone a high priest (especially someone as young as him). I think Brigham Young's statement may also be pertinent: "In our early career in this Church, on one occasion, in one of our Councils, we were telling about some of the Twelve wanting to ordain us High Priests, and what I said to brother Patten when he wanted to ordain me in New York State: said I, brother Patten, wait until I can lift my hand to heaven and say, I have magnified the office of an Elder."

There is nothing to be gained by being a high priest unless a calling/responsibility necessitates it.

And to me.

I would expect this kind of question only from a person of scant understanding of the Church. We do not ask for callings, and that includes priesthood advancement. While we generally expect that certain priesthood callings, such as young brethren receiving the Aaronic Priesthood as part of their preparation to eventually receive the Melchizedek Priesthood and ordination to Elder, even there we don't make a request for the ordination. If it is not offered at the expected time (ages 12, 14, 16, and 19 if departing on a mission, etc) then perhaps we might legitimately question the appropriate authority (the Bishop) as to the reason, but "advancement" to High Priest? No. It is as it is written in the Handbook, as LDS Guy cited.

My suggestion is that the brother doesn't evidence understanding of the order of the Church and it should be gently explained to him. On the other hand, there is a certain "cachet" to holding the office of High Priest, because it is such a "catchy" title. Really sounds noble, doesn't it? And there are some very few HPs who act as if they are somehow more "upscale" now that they have it. Fortunately, very few.

Brethren are called to the office of High Priest because they've been called to a leadership position that requires it, or because their long experience in the Church makes them an appropriate candidate for keeping the membership roll of the High Priests Quorum "topped off" with mature brethren. This perhaps helps to keep those who hold that office by virtue of their calling or former calling feeling less important, I don't know. I am a High Priest, and I got that office because I hung around long enough. I was perfectly content with being an Elder, although I was beginning to look a little out of place in Elders Quorums meetings.

Bruce R. McConkie gave an address at a conference for Regional Representatives of the Twelve in 1974 that eventually appeared in the Ensigh and was adapted to a pamplet entitled "Only an Elder" . The brother you are speaking of needs to read it. Perhaps you can order a copy of the pamphlet, or reference the Church website, where it is found here: http://lds.org/ensign/1975/06/only-an-elder?lang=eng

There is nothing to be gained by being a high priest unless a calling/responsibility necessitates it.

I agree completely, the only two difference between a Elder and a High Priest:

1) A High Priest can preside over any meeting, and an Elder can only preside over a meeting if there is no High Priest present.

2) An Elder cannot ordain someone a High Priest, but a High Priest can ordain someone an Elder (or Priest, or Teacher, or Deacon).

If your calling doesn't require you to be a High Priest there is no advantage to being a High Priest over an Elder, besides the two above mentioned insignificant exceptions.

There isn't a age requirement per say, but most 29 year old don't have enough experience in the Church and regular life to understand the responsibilities associated with the being a High Priest. Usually that is around 45 years of age. Again that doesn't mean that a man younger than 45 can't, just means it is not usual practice.

Usually that is around 45 years of age. Again that doesn't mean that a man younger than 45 can't, just means it is not usual practice.

I would add one big exception to that rule:

Usually that is around 45 years of age, unless called to a leadership position that requires one to be a High Preist. Again that doesn't mean that a man younger than 45 can't just means it is not the usual practice, unless they are called to a position that requires them to be a High Priest.

President Thomas S. Monson was ordained a High Priest at 22 because he was called as the Bishop of his ward. Our current bishop is only in his late 30's and have been a High Priest since his early 30's because he was called as Second Councilor in the Ward Bishopric.

About 45 is the case for most people (because they usually lack the experience in there younger years), unless you are called to a leadership position that requires you to be a High Priest.

There isn't a age requirement per say, but most 29 year old don't have enough experience in the Church and regular life to understand the responsibilities associated with the being a High Priest. Usually that is around 45 years of age. Again that doesn't mean that a man younger than 45 can't, just means it is not usual practice.

all good resposes i am only 28 my self and was ordained a hp a few months ago, age should never be a factor but understanding of the gospel.

one of my good friends was also ordained the same time as me and he is only 23 and there was no calling with his.

so you could see why this young man would think this way.

all good resposes i am only 28 my self and was ordained a hp a few months ago, age should never be a factor but understanding of the gospel.

one of my good friends was also ordained the same time as me and he is only 23 and there was no calling with his.

so you could see why this young man would think this way.

Interesting goings-on in your ward, there, Doc! :P

P.S.: I'm in absolutely no hurry to be ordained a High Priest, and there's absolutely no reason why I should be. (I'm not holding my breath awaiting a leadership calling that requires it, and the only thing it would say about me if I were ordained otherwise is that I'm officially "old." ;))

There isn't an age requirement, and it also doesn't necessarily require a calling to a leadership position. I was ordained a high priest at the age of 33. It was not associated with any calling. I remember visiting with a member of my stake presidency and after reviewing the qualifications of those who are ordained high priests as outlined in chapter 13 of Alma with him, I actually expressed my reservations for my advancement because I felt like I did not as yet meet these qualifications. But he assured me that whom the Lord calls, he qualifies. There were also a handful of other brethren in my quorum that were advanced about the same time, also about my age, that were ordained high priests that were also not associated with a calling. However, I do believe that it is against the "norm", but I believe it was necessary as our newly created ward was very young and the high priest group was seriously lacking members which hampered it's functionality.

There isn't an age requirement, and it also doesn't necessarily require a calling to a leadership position. I was ordained a high priest at the age of 33. It was not associated with any calling. I remember visiting with a member of my stake presidency and after reviewing the qualifications of those who are ordained high priests as outlined in chapter 13 of Alma with him, I actually expressed my reservations for my advancement because I felt like I did not as yet meet these qualifications. But he assured me that whom the Lord calls, he qualifies. There were also a handful of other brethren in my quorum that were advanced about the same time, also about my age, that were ordained high priests that were also not associated with a calling. However, I do believe that it is against the "norm", but I believe it was necessary as our newly created ward was very young and the high priest group was seriously lacking members which hampered it's functionality.

The big thing here also was it was a Stake President calling you to the office of High Priest, the Church's policy says a Stake President can decide to ordain High Priest's for non leadership reasons. It is very possible that the spirit guided him to advance a few Elders to High Priest because there was plenty of Elders for EQ but hardly any HP for HPG.

LDS Guy 1986:

I've been in only one Branch and that was pretty big one, they became a Ward a few years later. One of my former Bishops was pretty young when was called to be the Bishop(around 30 years old). So it does happen. But it is unusual.

I actually asked to become at High Priest too at 45. At that point my kids were grown, and I didn't have a whole lot in common with those young Elders. I have had a few calling to preside but I've never sought them.

Interesting goings-on in your ward, there, Doc! :P

P.S.: I'm in absolutely no hurry to be ordained a High Priest, and there's absolutely no reason why I should be. (I'm not holding my breath awaiting a leadership calling that requires it, and the only thing it would say about me if I were ordained otherwise is that I'm officially "old." ;))

Now that i think of it every high priest in the ward is over 65 and there is not many of them ( 11 ) before now 13. and the calling thing is not such a big deal, i was in the high priest group for 3 years before the call, the reason, to be with and assist them in home teaching, getting to church, driving them to the store, mowing there grass, ect. i say why do i need to be with them in there group, the bishop said it will help them and you be able to get to know each other easier. so i took it. plus my wife working at a retirment home might of helped a bit.

so the young man asking should not be in trouble here he just wanted to jump on the boat.

I was a 47 year-old elder when I was called as bishop a little over a year ago. Several months before that, plans were being made for an EQ activity. They were going to meet at someone's home and play "Rock Band". I was asked if I would be there.

My reply--"When you're closer to 50 than you are to 30, 'Rock Band' begins to lose its appeal."

You are a bishop?

Yes, and i keep asking the sp why since i am such a trouble maker, his response, that is true, but you get the job done.

Maybe these kind of questions would be better directed to your sp?

It is my general feeling that it is (at best) in poor taste to ask for a calling.

And to me.

I would expect this kind of question only from a person of scant understanding of the Church. We do not ask for callings, and that includes priesthood advancement.

I think there is a slight difference in this case as he is currently meeting with the High Priests and has been for a number of years. He may be assuming he is going to always be there from now on and therefore it makes sense that he be called so that he can fully participate with the group that he meets with (and I assume has activities and fulfills service with).

Why the bishop originally had him meet with the older group when he was so young is surprising to me, must be an unusual situation.

It is my general feeling that it is (at best) in poor taste to ask for a calling.

Not 100% true, we are also told in the D&C "Therefore, if ye have desires to serve God ye are called to the work;" (D&C 4:3)

When my Stake Presidency interviewed me for the Melchizedek Priesthood this is the first verse they brought up, he said if I didn't desire after this calling I can't receive it.

Now I do agree that badgering your poor Bishop ever Sunday about getting into the EQ Presidency or about being ordained a High Priest is not appropriate, but bringing up to your Bishop that you desire to be a High Priest is doing exactly what we are expected to do.

I know this is how my process started, I approached the Bishop set up an interview and told him that I desired to be conferred the Melchizedek Priesthood and be ordained and Elder. From there he pondered the issue prayed about it and decided my the EQ president and the Bishop interviewed me to submit my name to the high council for approval.

This process wouldn't of started though if I didn't express a proper desire, as guided by the spirit to do.

Now that i think of it every high priest in the ward is over 65 and there is not many of them ( 11 ) before now 13. and the calling thing is not such a big deal, i was in the high priest group for 3 years before the call, the reason, to be with and assist them in home teaching, getting to church, driving them to the store, mowing there grass, ect. i say why do i need to be with them in there group, the bishop said it will help them and you be able to get to know each other easier. so i took it. plus my wife working at a retirment home might of helped a bit.

so the young man asking should not be in trouble here he just wanted to jump on the boat.

I agree he shouldn't be getting into trouble, I would be wondering myself what was going of after being in the group for 5 years...perhaps he's thinking some paperwork got misplaced (it happens, I got called into my branch presidency's office at BYU after several months of attending the branch where he asked me since I had been attending the meetings, if I was interested in being taught by the missionaries....apparently my papers did not indicate I was baptized, I told him if he wanted to send the missionaries that would be okay, but probably a waste of their time)?

That makes sense (why he is there). I think it should be explained to him why he is with them and that if he were to move to a different ward it might be better for him to be an elder so to retain that level might be most beneficial for him at this point in his life.

Maybe these kind of questions would be better directed to your sp?

I do but with this site i get answers from all people from diffrent back grounds and understanding that is a big plus.

to be able to ask something with out fear of being looked down upon or made fun of is great, i love reading everything others say its refreshing.

also being able to answer others questions is joyful.

and one of the big pluses to this site is that after all is said and done we here can take what we like and leave what we dont, we still have are choice.

I've asked for several callings when I've seen a need for it, such as teaching the 15 year olds in SS after I was told they had 13 or so different teachers in the last year. At that age a consistent teacher is important imo. I've also asked to be released from callings when consistency was lacking for health reasons. I've never had anyone be anything but very grateful when I've done so.

Archived