The Divine Nature and Destiny of Women

MorningStar

A friend posted a link to this response to a devotional talk given by Elder Pace based on this BYU article describing what he said.

This is the transcript of the talk.

Do you think it was accurately portrayed in the BYU article? Was the blog response misdirected?

Is "Elder Petunia" merely showing the flip side or does it illustrate a desire for women to be ordained to the Priesthood?

Elder Petunia is trying to show how offensive the talk is by reversing it, only their post is based on the article about the talk rather than the talk itself. There are some phrases in the article that appear to be direct quotes, but if you read the transcript, they are not direct quotes.

No, I didn't know that. Do you think he would be my friend? ;)

That is interesting he mentioned Heavenly Mother. She's not mentioned too often. :P

No, I didn't know that. Do you think he would be my friend? :crazy:

That is interesting he mentioned Heavenly Mother. She's not mentioned too often. ;)

She was mentioned in my Ward last Sunday by a well meaning fanatical (also my HT companion); there was then a 20sec pause for reflection and crickets. The comment was ignored and the lesson resumed.

Sometimes I wonder if Consig is my HT companion and I just don't know it. :P

Big UP!

Lamanite

After reading this thread, I am forced to wear a turtle neck and darn pants. Sit in a beatnick coffee shop and say

"Woman... woe-man... whoooa-man. She was a thief, you gotta believe, she stole my heart and my cat. Betty, Judy, Josie and those hot little cats... they make me warmy, Saturday morny... girls of cartoo-ins will leave me in ruins... I want to to be Betty's Barney. Hey Jane... get me off this crazy thing... called love."

Not my work, just my editing.....

After reading this thread, I am forced to wear a turtle neck and darn pants. Sit in a beatnick coffee shop and say

"Woman... woe-man... whoooa-man. She was a thief, you gotta believe, she stole my heart and my cat. Betty, Judy, Josie and those hot little cats... they make me warmy, Saturday morny... girls of cartoo-ins will leave me in ruins... I want to to be Betty's Barney. Hey Jane... get me off this crazy thing... called love."

Not my work, just my editing.....

:P Warmy?

In the interest of "decorum". :P

I started reading it and was laughing, but wondered how you would handle that part. Pretty funny. ;)

Ok, so this is what the BYU article says:

Women have a sacred role in the purification and sanctification of men, said a member of the Quorum of the Seventy at Tuesday

You know, men have a divine nature and destiny as well.

I think he states that in his talk.

You know, men have a divine nature and destiny as well.

I'm not sure if this is what you're referring to, but it seems that whenever men try to explain why women don't have the priesthood we do it at the expense of our own divinity and worth.

Hyperbolic Example: Women are so wonderful and men are so depraved and stoopid (see Archie Bunker and Homer Simpson) that we needed an equalizer during mortality.

nonsense I say.

Big UP!

Lamanite

I'm not sure if this is what you're referring to, but it seems that whenever men try to explain why women don't have the priesthood we do it at the expense of our own divinity and worth.

Hyperbolic Example: Women are so wonderful and men are so depraved and stoopid (see Archie Bunker and Homer Simpson) that we needed an equalizer during mortality.

nonsense I say.

Big UP!

Lamanite

I don't think it's just the priesthood issue, but men try to reassure us because of the history of the way women have been treated.

No, I didn't know that. Do you think he would be my friend? ;)

That is interesting he mentioned Heavenly Mother. She's not mentioned too often. :P

I'm not sure! I tried to be Elder Spencer V. Jones' friend and well the thing of it is he didn't reciprocate, he sent me a nice message though!

A friend posted a link to this response to a devotional talk given by Elder Pace based on this BYU article describing what he said.

Do you think it was accurately portrayed in the BYU article? Was the blog response misdirected?

I think Jack said it better in 'As Good As It Gets' when he said:

You make me want to be a better man.

(feel free to substitute woman for man if you are a woman)

I think Jack said it better in 'As Good As It Gets' when he said:

You make me want to be a better man.

(feel free to substitute woman for man if you are a woman)

Same movie:

Woman (to author Melvin, played by Jack Nicholson): "How do you write women so well?"

Melvin: "I think of a man, and I take away reason and accountability."

I kind of thought the blog response was rather immature but I don't know anything about the author. Maybe I would have appreciated it more if I did. I think the BYU article is just kind of brief synopsis, but it does seem to kind of hit the key points. Of course it is not as good or complete as Elder Pace's talk, but they would have to print the talk in it's entirety to get that result. It seems like he was saying that men and women are not complete without each other but he didn't delve into the reasons that women need men. The attitude that women are inherently better than men is really kind of offensive but I can see how it evolved from thousands of years of men acting like men are inherently better than women. :P We both need each other.

Archived