Seriously No Politics ×

The Alchemist

I’ve heard of this book-  But was recently inspired to read it by an acquaintance through work. 

I’m listening in audible.  I let it read me to sleep- it’s a good one for that.  But last night the main character meets with a Wise Man who is named Melchizedek who uses two truth stones called a “ureem and thumeem” (this is how the reader pronounces it)-

i was nearly asleep and this jolted me awake.  I’ve never heard these things outside of the BOM.  

I know I’m in poor company as I’m not well read in these matters.  I can hear eyes rolling as I type. 

That is all. 

Edited by MustardSeed
4 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

“ureem and thumeem” (this is how the reader pronounces it)-

Yes I have heard this pronunciation before on a program about the stones as used by the High Priest in Solomon's Temple.

On 5/5/2019 at 10:37 AM, MustardSeed said:

I’ve heard of this book-  But was recently inspired to read it by an acquaintance through work. 

I’m listening in audible.  I let it read me to sleep- it’s a good one for that.  But last night the main character meets with a Wise Man who is named Melchizedek who uses two truth stones called a “ureem and thumeem” (this is how the reader pronounces it)-

i was nearly asleep and this jolted me awake.  I’ve never heard these things outside of the BOM.  

I know I’m in poor company as I’m not well read in these matters.  I can hear eyes rolling as I type. 

That is all. 

I watched a “Jeopardy!” episode years ago in which one of the questions pertained to the translation of the Book of Mormon. Alex Trebek pronounced Urim and Thummim in that manner. I suppose we Latter-day Saints are the ones with a quirky pronunciation. 

On 5/10/2019 at 8:56 PM, Scott Lloyd said:

I watched a “Jeopardy!” episode years ago in which one of the questions pertained to the translation of the Book of Mormon. Alex Trebek pronounced Urim and Thummim in that manner. I suppose we Latter-day Saints are the ones with a quirky pronunciation. 

I watch Jeopardy almost every night... love it.  I've chuckled because I think someone responsible for questions is LDS because often there is a question pertaining to the CoJCoLDS...

GG

On 5/5/2019 at 9:37 AM, MustardSeed said:

That is all. 

The Urim v’tummim from a Jewish source...https://www.templeinstitute.org/beged/priestly_garments-8.htm

Compare with Joseph’s method of translating the Book of Mormon.

Edited by Bernard Gui