Seriously No Politics ×

Historic!!!??? A Sister just conducted a GenConf Session

Did a subtle, but historic change just happen?

Pres Oaks explained the Women's Session was a General Session of GenConf, just like the other sessions, just targeted to specific audience.

I think this is the first time a woman has ever conducted a General Session of Conference.

What's next, RelSoc Presidents conducting SacMtg, cats and dogs living together?

Personally, I'm all for Sisters conducting more general church meetings and more (you know what I mean)😉

23 minutes ago, Broker said:

Did a subtle, but historic change just happen?

Pres Oaks explained the Women's Session was a General Session of GenConf, just like the other sessions, just targeted to specific audience.

I think this is the first time a woman has ever conducted a General Session of Conference.

What's next, RelSoc Presidents conducting SacMtg, cats and dogs living together?

Personally, I'm all for Sisters conducting more general church meetings and more (you know what I mean)😉

Meh. Until this moment, I’d forgotten (or never noticed) that that’s not how it has always been done. 

9 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I thought that sisters always conducted their session?  Maybe I’m getting it confused with the old general RS meeting they used to have before they added the women’s session to GC weekend. 

This one has a woman conducting:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/2018/10/womens-session?lang=eng

47 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Meh. Until this moment, I’d forgotten (or never noticed) that that’s not how it has always been done. 

39 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I thought that sisters always conducted their session?  Maybe I’m getting it confused with the old general RS meeting they used to have before they added the women’s session to GC weekend. 

30 minutes ago, SeekingUnderstanding said:

17 minutes ago, bluebell said:

That’s what I was thinking.

So I’m not obtuse then? Good to know. 

Just now, InCognitus said:

Speaking from personal experience, conducting a meeting is highly overrated.  Last week, a member of the Stake Presidency in my stake said (in a hallway conversation), "I'd rather give a talk than conduct a meeting any day".

My husband agrees. 

Perhaps Broker was confused when President Oaks made a point to say that the RS general president would conduct this time, but future such sessions might be conducted by the Primary or YW general president. I guess they want it known that no single organization has ownership of the session. 

Nope, not confused.

Listen to Pres Oaks opening remarks. He calls this a "unique women's session of General Conference." He then says the church is embarking on a new direction with the Saturday evening sessions, which may have varying focuses. This one just happens to focus on women. While sisters may have conducted past sessions, those were sessions for women, conducted by women.  Today's session was for everyone, it was a  "general session" of conference (though in person attendance was limited to the women), with a focus on the sisters. Women have never before conducted a General Session of Conference...until today.

10 hours ago, Broker said:

Nope, not confused.

Listen to Pres Oaks opening remarks. He calls this a "unique women's session of General Conference." He then says the church is embarking on a new direction with the Saturday evening sessions, which may have varying focuses. This one just happens to focus on women. While sisters may have conducted past sessions, those were sessions for women, conducted by women.  Today's session was for everyone, it was a  "general session" of conference (though in person attendance was limited to the women), with a focus on the sisters. Women have never before conducted a General Session of Conference...until today.

I'm struggling to find where today's Saturday evening session is publicized as a session for everyone.  In the letter sent out by the First Presidency on February 11 to be read in sacrament meetings, the second paragraph reads:

"We invite all women and young women (including those who turn 12 in 2022) to participate in a 'Women's Session of General Conference,' which will be held the evening of Saturday, April 2.  General sessions for all individuals, families, and friends will be held on Saturday and Sunday, April 2 and 3."

There seems to be a clear distinction made between the Saturday evening "Women's Session of General Conference", and the other "General sessions for all individuals, families, and friends".  

Years ago, the Women's session was held on a different weekend than General Conference.  But there have been other Women's Sessions (like in October 2019) held on the same Saturday as the general sessions of conference.  So I'm not sure I understand what is unique about this time around.

Edited by InCognitus
6 hours ago, Broker said:

Nope, not confused.

I watched the session with my wife and daughter. Everything about it seemed directed toward women, including the talk by Elder Renlund and the brief introductory remarks by President Oaks representing the First Presidency. The choir was exclusively women. Nothing to indicate it was a general session directed toward everybody. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
7 hours ago, Broker said:

Nope, not confused.

Women’s Session had already been declared a general session not long ago and a woman has conducted for as long as I remember. The only difference was a man being the first speaker.