Seriously No Politics ×

Mike Lee compares Trump to Captain Moroni

1 minute ago, bsjkki said:

Tacenda, what are the whoppers you are most concerned with?

Comparing the two candidates, I don’t see Biden as an honest man. He lied in the last debate and lies in his speeches. 

Neither have a stellar record of treating women respectfully. Biden has a string of accusers. He also had an affair with his current wife that broke up her first marriage (according to her ex). 

As far as politicians go, Trump has followed through on campaign promises. More so than most. Some don’t like that and some people do. 

My daughter in law is voting for Biden because I told her to vote policy. She took the policy tests and lines up with Democrats.

That makes the most sense to me.

I took the policy test back in 2016, lol. And one of my sisters was not happy when I admitted it said I was a Democrat, which is odd since I've been a registered Republican for all of my voting years. 

So that must be it, and I dislike Trump's bullying ways, and not having a lot to say on what he wants for the country. And during the last debate when he didn't show that he cared for the quality of life for those that lived near the factories that were causing cancer or other diseases, all he cared about was the money that they brought in. 

If Trump keeps saying that he wants to make America great again, it doesn't look like he believes he's done that in the last four years, or if he has done great things, he shouldn't be using the same campaign speech he made in 2016. 

I believe in climate change, I believe we won't need oil one day. Biden said he won't stop fracking, except for a few states, until we can sustain ourselves without it. 

I have an immigrant son-in-law, so that may have influenced me on that end.

I support equal rights for the LGBTQ, including respecting the rights of trans people that may want their identity known as they feel it inside and if they want to legally be a he or she. 

I have way too much time on my hands, and I will listen to the rallies of Trump. And they are a stark difference to how he is in different environments. He seems to say what the people in the rally want to hear. Even making fun of mask wearing. 

If it weren't for all of these things, I may not be so against voting for him. I've been thoroughly disgusted with past presidents like Cinton and even JFK, for their blatant infidelities. 

Also, I believe Biden is more in the middle, and not like other dems such as Bernie Sanders. 

I wish Mitt Romney had won, at least he has morals, and integrity as far as I know. 

Hope this helps.

9 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

@Tacenda

I was looking for the lies but it’s obvious you disagree with him on policy. 

That makes sense to me. If you trust Biden, Pelosi, Schumer more than, Trump, McConnell and McCarthy, by all means, vote accordingly.

Oh, the lies are self explanatory. Sorry if I neglected that part. But I doubt you want me to. I was disappointed in Biden's lie about his schooling, unless that was a lie. 

Here is politifact on the latest of Trump's lies: https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/list/?speaker=donald-trump&ruling=false

But I will check Biden's as well. 

Okay, I'm back, here are Biden's lies: https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/list/?category=&ruling=false&speaker=joe-biden

You're right, it must be policy too. I just can't get Trump's rallies out of my head, and the debates. But it's all perspectives I guess. And if I was super down on my luck, and thought Trump could help, then who knows. So I get why so many think Trump will help the economy. 

ETA: @bsjkkiSorry, I added so much more to my comment to you and was hoping you saw the whole thing. This is how we all should talk politics. Just as you have done kindly with me, thank you! :)

Edited by Tacenda

Seems like posters here are aching to talk politics.  It's easy to talk this topic without making it political primarily.  

I'd maintain that being captain Moroni isnt a good thing.  I'm guessing trump hasn't paid enough attention to realize Moroni would be today's war criminal.  This story is interesting because it exposes that someone didn't write it anciently or didn't in good faith.  How would they know the hearts of those who were slaughtered for their political disagreement?  So either it's written solely to exonerate those who lived on and won, or it was written as non historical allegory, to praise nonhuman-esque characters. 

1 minute ago, Tacenda said:

Oh, the lies are self explanatory. Sorry if I neglected that part. But I doubt you want me to. I was disappointed in Biden's lie about his schooling, unless that was a lie. 

The lies for me are not self explanatory but we’re good. Biden has lied about many things but I don’t really want to fact check or go back and forth. The policy reasons are a more substantial reason to vote for either candidate. 

5 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

The lies for me are not self explanatory but we’re good. Biden has lied about many things but I don’t really want to fact check or go back and forth. The policy reasons are a more substantial reason to vote for either candidate. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/07/13/president-trump-has-made-more-than-20000-false-or-misleading-claims/%3foutputType=amp

53 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I hope you don't mind me asking this, I sincerely want to get in your head, here goes. How do you get around Trump's lies? That's when I draw the line because I can't trust someone or what they say they're doing or not doing. And the bullying, it turns my stomach. But we all see things differently. And I do know people lie, but it's so much and in his position, we need to expect better.

I do think this thread could do what is being done in many households and families right now, separating people. Maybe even for life. Separation because if we each believe our family member, friend, neighbor can like one candidate over the other and we think, according to our beliefs, that the other is the worst person on earth for the job, and could alter the USA as we know it. It becomes such a stark and life altering disagreement and may last for a very long time. I'm hoping there haven't been people on this board that lost respect for one another over these posts. 

My good friends, two of my sons, one of my daughters and her spouse, and two of my sisters want Trump to win. I don't. I won't voice my opinion on FB because I value my relationships so much that I don't want to lose their respect, love, you name it, for my choice to vote Biden. It's already begun with my daughter and son-in-law. They act differently around me. Not feeling the love.

It's clear there's a reason we shouldn't discuss politics on the board because of this.

It's not a fun position for any of us, especially during the pandemic. It's been a rough year for millions of lives out there. 

I'm thinking you're glad you are retired from journalism. Or maybe not.  

At the moment, I don’t want to engage in a back-and-forth about my voting preferences. My presence here is to question why the moderation team is allowing this thread to continue in clear violation of their own clearly (and constantly) expressed “no-politics” rule. 

29 minutes ago, stemelbow said:

I will add political discussion is perhaps more dogmatic fused with less reason and logic then religious discourse.  And that's saying something.  Watching the back and forth in this thread confirms it again for me.  

So are you an apolitical anarchist?  Are you just as against politics as you are religion?  

An interesting aside. 

My daughter in law, who was born and raised inMexico, had occasion to see The Darkest Hour, when Winston Churchill assumed the Premiership of Great Britain on the day of the German invasion of France. She noted the hard decisions he had to make regarding troop movements, whether or not to come to terms with the Nazis, etc. This in the face of opposition by not only the Labor party, his natural foes, but also the powerful and pacifist segment of the Tories. 
Her remark was, he’s just like Trump. Everyone despises him, but he stood by what he said all along and made the correct decisions 

Trump has an interesting ad. It’s you they want, I’m just in the way. 

Edited by mrmarklin
11 minutes ago, mrmarklin said:

An interesting aside. 

My daughter in law, who was born and raised inMexico, had occasion to see The Darkest Hour, when Winston Churchill assumed the Premiership of Great Britain on the day of the German invasion of France. She noted the hard decisions he had to make regarding troop movements, whether or not to come to terms with the Nazis, etc. This in the face of opposition by not only the Labor party, his natural foes, but also the powerful and pacifist segment of the Tories. 
Her remark was, he’s just like Trump. Everyone despises him, but he stood by what he said all along and made the correct decisions 

They are only alike in that everyone despised him.  He did not stand his ground in being a wartime President, like Churchill.  He retreated with his tail between his legs at the first sign of struggle.  And now we are facing dark dark days ahead of us because of his cowardice and intentional downplaying of the disease.  He has burned the CDC to the ground.

https://www.ksl.com/article/50039872/a-very-difficult-time-herbert-provides-update-as-1837-more-covid-19-cases-10-deaths-reported-thursday

https://www.ksl.com/article/50039718/white-house-advisers-warn-of-unrelenting-covid-19-spread-whole-lot-of-pain

Edited by pogi