Resign or Not to Resign

13 hours ago, The Nehor said:

No, still not a correct use.

Yes, it is LOL. By all means, articulate your point a bit more if you wish!

On 8/21/2020 at 7:36 PM, carbon dioxide said:

Dropped my son off at college today for his first year.  Just called him and told him about the do not contact list in the Church.  Told him to wait on resigning.  He is still young and if later on that is something he wants to do I am ok with it.  I am ok with him not going to church and his current agnostic views.  Right now its the resigning part that keeps my crying and if he can hold off on that for a while, I can handle the shock better.  Too much too fast.  He said he would contact the bishop to not have his records sent up and he already withdrew his resignation.  I feel a lot better.  Thanks for all of the comments brought up here.  Agency is hard.  I suppose things like this are required for us to experience.  Our heavenly parents have lost a lot of their children.  I suppose if eternal life is what one desires, its part of the package.  To allow those whom you love to make decisions that will cause pain.  There is no other way.

I had a friend tell me once, "agency is great till you become a parent". I appreciated that even though I wouldn't have it any other way.  It can be very brutal on the emotions of parents.  

• Like 2

I just wanted to say that the very thought of being able to go to his parents to talk about this speaks volumes for how he feels, his courage and the great parents that you are.  Love and communication no matter what.

• Like 1
On 8/21/2020 at 7:52 PM, The Nehor said:

There is no official "do not contact" list. I tried to surreptitiously add one to a few church records and got smacked down for it though they complimented me on my creativity in method. ;) 

I guess it isn't what the Church would deem "official," but in Relief Society when we were assigning visiting teaching routes, we had a list of "Do Not Contact" sisters that would not be assigned VT's or any contact (I'm assuming the bishopric was aware of this)... and we had a list of "Card Only" sisters who, rather than being "no contact," at least agreed to receive cards/letters.  Those were the sisters that I had (because I was terrible about actual visiting but was great at sending cards)).  I would send beautiful cards, plus one of the 0ne-page inspirational stories from the Ensign tucked inside, and a personal note written in the card.  I do that to this day...

GG  

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Garden Girl said:

I guess it isn't what the Church would deem "official," but in Relief Society when we were assigning visiting teaching routes, we had a list of "Do Not Contact" sisters that would not be assigned VT's or any contact (I'm assuming the bishopric was aware of this)... and we had a list of "Card Only" sisters who, rather than being "no contact," at least agreed to receive cards/letters.  Those were the sisters that I had (because I was terrible about actual visiting but was great at sending cards)).  I would send beautiful cards, plus one of the 0ne-page inspirational stories from the Ensign tucked inside, and a personal note written in the card.  I do that to this day...

GG  

I'm not on any DNC list and don't hear a peep from a soul, maybe I'm a doubt germ ever since I opened up with my new bishop. But told him I'd love to do service. They don't want anything to do with me I guess. I'd love to receive a card like that! What an awesome service. It means more than you'll ever know, believe me. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/20/2020 at 3:54 PM, Kenngo1969 said:

"Why don't you care that I messed up my life"?

Messing up is valuable learning material. Prize it.

I'd be concerned if you messed up someone else's life but your life, that's what it's there for.

I have one son (mid 20s) who is considering resigning. As far as my choices go, I can love, support and respect him or not.

My time of strong influence is past. In this phase, I can make analysis and guidance available. Ultimately, the decision is his alone.