Jump to content

All My Grandchildren Back in School, How About Yours?


Recommended Posts

One niece in school. A niece and a nephew in virtual learning. Three more nieces and a nephew in home schooling but they were doing that before the pandemic.

Link to post
1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

One niece in school. A niece and a nephew in virtual learning. Three more nieces and a nephew in home schooling but they were doing that before the pandemic.

All my grandchildren live in the same county, well the seven still in school. They do a three day week, and virtual two days a week. Of course the next county over is not going back, it is all a big mess. However, my grandchildren are thrilled to once again be around kids their own age, after no school or Church for five months. We still have no idea when, or if we will be allowed to return to Church. From what I have been told, those who have returned, won’t allow those in my age group to attend. We have a “virtual Stake Conference” this Sunday where we will get a new Stake President, ours moved away two months ago. As a family, I think since we have 16-18 people every Sunday dinner, we are just going to start having Sacrament Meetings, semi-regular, since we have three to four Priesthood holders each Sunday. I think it is best we get used to Church Services again, as we seem to becoming to informal, and having trouble with our “once Sunday habits. So, “as for me and my house”, it will be back to school, and back to Church. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
52 minutes ago, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

All my grandchildren live in the same county, well the seven still in school. They do a three day week, and virtual two days a week. Of course the next county over is not going back, it is all a big mess. However, my grandchildren are thrilled to once again be around kids their own age, after no school or Church for five months. We still have no idea when, or if we will be allowed to return to Church. From what I have been told, those who have returned, won’t allow those in my age group to attend. We have a “virtual Stake Conference” this Sunday where we will get a new Stake President, ours moved away two months ago. As a family, I think since we have 16-18 people every Sunday dinner, we are just going to start having Sacrament Meetings, semi-regular, since we have three to four Priesthood holders each Sunday. I think it is best we get used to Church Services again, as we seem to becoming to informal, and having trouble with our “once Sunday habits. So, “as for me and my house”, it will be back to school, and back to Church. 

I would be careful about modeling it after a regular sacrament meeting. The instruction is not to mimic a sacrament meeting, possibly to avoid people thinking they can do one just as well at home once it is over and that priesthood in the home does not have authority to run a full sacrament meeting. That being said meeting together for the sacrament and having a study session or discussion or whatever is very appropriate. Find out what works and go with it. ;) 

  • Like 1
Link to post
52 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

I would be careful about modeling it after a regular sacrament meeting. The instruction is not to mimic a sacrament meeting, possibly to avoid people thinking they can do one just as well at home once it is over and that priesthood in the home does not have authority to run a full sacrament meeting. That being said meeting together for the sacrament and having a study session or discussion or whatever is very appropriate. Find out what works and go with it. ;) 

Don’t worry, I am not talking about starting or replacing our Church meetings, are acting like I am the Bishop. But we need, we “all need” to maintain some type of structure. It is after all why we want (as much as possible) the Priesthood to be in every home. I am just blessed to have so many each Sunday, none us or seeking to become authorities unto ourselves, nor do we feel as if we don’t need the Church, but this continuing limbo of not knowing when, where, or how we will return to Church, is at times too little. In five months, we have heard from our Bishop one time in a small broadcast, and he is a member of my extended family. Sadly he knows nothing, so there is nothing to tell us. Relief Society has resumed functions, Youth Organizations are active again, but nothing for the Priesthood, including directions beyond the first one months ago. Since then, no communication, no instructions, no activities, just a deafening silence. 

Link to post

Some of you guys are going back to school early. We won't start here until end of August -first of Sept. I don't think we will start church until then either. By the time we get going again , the flu season will be upon us and who knows where covid will be. 

The " Neverending Story " comes to mind. 

  • Like 1
Link to post

Nope. Ours starts September and it's will be remote the first quarter. At least. 

Link to post
On 8/4/2020 at 10:30 AM, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

All my grandchildren live in the same county, well the seven still in school. They do a three day week, and virtual two days a week. Of course the next county over is not going back, it is all a big mess. However, my grandchildren are thrilled to once again be around kids their own age, after no school or Church for five months. \

Ah.  My girl starts here in person, in about 2 weeks (their normal start date).  Looking forward to it.  We did the summer school program which was sort of the test-case for the district and I was very pleased with how it went.

On 8/4/2020 at 10:30 AM, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

We still have no idea when, or if we will be allowed to return to Church. From what I have been told, those who have returned, won’t allow those in my age group to attend. We have a “virtual Stake Conference” this Sunday where we will get a new Stake President, ours moved away two months ago. As a family, I think since we have 16-18 people every Sunday dinner, we are just going to start having Sacrament Meetings, semi-regular, since we have three to four Priesthood holders each Sunday. I think it is best we get used to Church Services again, as we seem to becoming to informal, and having trouble with our “once Sunday habits. So, “as for me and my house”, it will be back to school, and back to Church. 

We've been teaming up with another family for church Sunday morning.  It's been great as well -- fun to have fellowship, lean on / help others, and generally have a sense of community - even if it's literally just another pair of adults and their kids. 

We do have the options for Phase 1 in-person Sarcament meeting here but... I haven't gone because I don't think it'll satisfy my yearning for fellowship and instead feel like the opposite.  

Edited by Jane_Doe
  • Like 1
Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...