Dead Sea Scrolls Forgeries

Mark Hofmann is still in prison, right?  Has anyone checked on that lately?

Edit:  After reading the article a little more closely, I think Hofmann could have done a better job.  Definitely not him.

Edited by InCognitus
9 hours ago, Calm said:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/15/us/bible-museum-dead-sea-scrolls/index.html

Any scholars here that can tell us the implications for scholarship, if any?

It all goes back to the Kando family in Bethlehem.  If there are bucks to be made, someone will do it.

The implications are nicely lined out in this National Geographic story:  https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/2020/03/museum-of-the-bible-dead-sea-scrolls-forgeries/

Edited by Robert F. Smith
  • Like 3

When I saw that headline a few days ago, I thought "why is this news?  Haven't we known about dead sea scrolls fakes for many years?"

7 minutes ago, rpn said:

When I saw that headline a few days ago, I thought "why is this news?  Haven't we known about dead sea scrolls fakes for many years?"

Not me, sucker that I am!

These are not the Dead Sea Scrolls, the lions share being kept at the Israel Museum in East Jerusalem. These are recently bought by the Hobby Lobby family for their museum dedicated to proving an Evangelical Christian interpretation of the Bible. In buying them, it’s almost certain that they helped fund the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria.

So I guess you could say the implications here are that a set of forgeries bought by the Hobby Lobby owners helped export terrorism and commit genocide, but the implications for Bible scholarship are close to zero.

• Like 3
Posted (edited)

Thanks for clarifying, it wasn't completely clear if these were 'unique' passages or duplicates already had, etc.  I was too lazy to research that day and unfortunately the National Geographic website never works for me these days beyond the headline and picture.  I figured we would have heard a lot more if it had been significant in terms of scholarship.

Edited by Calm
On 3/20/2020 at 2:53 PM, halconero said:

These are not the Dead Sea Scrolls, the lions share being kept at the Israel Museum in East Jerusalem. These are recently bought by the Hobby Lobby family for their museum dedicated to proving an Evangelical Christian interpretation of the Bible. In buying them, it’s almost certain that they helped fund the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria.

So I guess you could say the implications here are that a set of forgeries bought by the Hobby Lobby owners helped export terrorism and commit genocide, but the implications for Bible scholarship are close to zero.

My husband made a product and even got a patent, they were wire/re-bar pumpkins of all sizes. He had them in boutiques, Ben Franklin stores, etc. Hobby Lobby took one of my husband's pumpkins to China to replicate. My husband sued them when he found out. But not for much, interesting though that they didn't walk the talk here. Later on another company that my husband knew, got permission to take them to China, but not much came of it, they may still be in boxes as I speak.

Edited by Tacenda
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2020 at 3:53 PM, halconero said:

Considering their dangerous reaction to the current pandemic they are trying to commit genocide everywhere. :vader: 

• Like 1