General Conference Music by Tcats

HiJolly

1 hour ago, HiJolly said:

General Conference music  April 2020 

Well my friends, for a long time I have been sharing what I know about the Tabernacle Choir at Temple Square (TCATS) music for General Conference. This April things are different.  

First, TCATS will be performing both sessions of Saturday and both sessions of Sunday conference. We haven't done that in a good long time. Although I believe there is a good chance that this music may come pre-recorded, and not live. 

Second, when the list of music for Conference was published, for the first time the list was accompanied with a request that we keep the list confidential, and not share it. 

And when I saw a particular song listed for the Sunday AM conference session, well. I guess that's why. But I don't really know. I'm not sure, but I don't think we have sung that song in GC since 1893. hmmmm... 

I debated for a week or so whether I could in good conscience share only the rest hymns, and honestly I don't see how that could possibly be a problem, but I have decided not to share anything. Sorry! 

Carry on, and try not to miss Sunday morning conference. 

BTW, the next 3 weeks of 'Music and the Spoken Word' will be pre-recorded. 

Am I reading this correctly, you are not supposed to share what songs the choir will sing. I know there will be no congregation songs done, since there will not be a congregation this time, but what would be the issue of sharing what songs are to be performed? Maybe I read this wrong, or I hope I did. Also, what song have you guys not done since 1993? 27 years, is a long time between songs. 

Just now, Bill “Papa” Lee said:

Am I reading this correctly, you are not supposed to share what songs the choir will sing. I know there will be no congregation songs done, since there will not be a congregation this time, but what would be the issue of sharing what songs are to be performed? Maybe I read this wrong, or I hope I did. Also, what song have you guys not done since 1993? 27 years, is a long time between songs. 

You understood correctly, it seems like our leaders want the songs to be a surprise. Which doesn’t bother me.

And HiJolly said they haven’t sung it since 1893.  😁

38 minutes ago, bluebell said:

You understood correctly, it seems like our leaders want the songs to be a surprise. Which doesn’t bother me.

And HiJolly said they haven’t sung it since 1893.  😁

Wow, 127 years, what could that be? I don’t even know how to research it, and now I really want to know what the song is! 

I found another song that was sung that year but I cannot find lyrics or music for it. Oddly I found the name in an archived Welsh newspaper that I cannot read beyond the name of the hymn because I do not read Welsh. I am guessing that one or HiJolly misremembered on my earlier guess or I got it wrong. Hope it is good. ;) 

The only other hymn I can find is "The Spirit of God" but I am reasonably certain we have sung that one more recently

Edited by The Nehor
On 3/14/2020 at 11:31 AM, HiJolly said:

I'm not sure, but I don't think we have sung that song in GC since 1893. hmmmm... 

Now I'm curious. By "we" do you mean the choir, or the choir/congregation in general?

Based on like five minutes of research, I came up with the following songs which appear to have been sung during the April 1893 Conference (I gave up and didn't include the October sessions): 

• Come let us anew
  • Come, come ye Saints
  • Jesus, I my cross have taken
  • Redeemer of Israel
  • Come, dearest Lord, descend and dwell
  • Let the Mountains Shout for Joy
  • Doxology (i.e., Praise God, from whom all blessings flow)
  • Now let us rejoice in the day of salvation
  • The time is far spent
  • How firm a foundation
  • We thank thee O God for a Prophet
  • Behold the mountain of the Lord
  • Hark, listen to the trumpeters.
  • Come all ye Saints of Zion.
  • Let all Israel join and sing
  • The Hosanna anthem, (composed for the dedication by Evan Stephens) 
  • The Spirit of God like a Fire is Burning
  • Arise ye Saints

Going on that, my best guess would be We thank thee O God for a Prophet (which is a popular song, but I don't know that it's often sung in General Conference). I'm pretty sure the Hosanna anthem was sung at the general conference when the new conference center was completed; plus, it wouldn't really make sense unless we were building something new (new announcement maybe?).

More esoteric hymns which are no longer in the hymn book (e.g., Arise ye Saints; Jesus, I my cross have taken, etc.) would be a welcome addition - especially if coming with new arrangements. 

Guess I'll just have to wait and see. :) 

Edited by Amulek