Seriously No Politics ×

How many times can you be sealed in temple

MeeMee

My question as I am still a new convert is how many times can you be sealed to someone or others. Say for example you were sealed to your current husband but he pass away. Years later down the line you meet someone and want to get sealed with the new husband instead. How does it work in the end. I never understand this and every time I ask someone nobody seems to really want to explain it. Please clarify only if you truly have the answer.

Thank You

This is one of those questions where the answer is messy.

Doctrinally, a living woman can only be sealed to one man.  There have been some exceptions but they are not advertised and take First presidency approval.  A dead woman can be sealed to multiple men, with the understanding that she would choose who she would want to be sealed to for eternity.  

A woman who's husband has died and has remarried typically has the choice between not being sealed to her new husband, or cancelling the sealing she had with her deceased husband and getting sealed to the new one.

Most people probably don't want to explain it because it's a painful doctrine for women who have been widowed, especially for women who remarry and have more children with their new husband.  For those women, there are no good answers.

"A dead woman can be sealed to multiple men, with the understanding that she would choose who she would want to be sealed to for eternity."

That was the understanding.  That explanation has apparently been removed from the handbook.  What that means has not be explained.

10 hours ago, Calm said:

"A dead woman can be sealed to multiple men, with the understanding that she would choose who she would want to be sealed to for eternity."

That was the understanding.  That explanation has apparently been removed from the handbook.  What that means has not be explained.

I can understand them not wanting that in print anymore and not wanting to put forth 'reasons why' that were not necessarily inspired but instead extrapolations based on existing doctrine.  As long as they routinely refuse to seal a living woman to more than one man while routinely sealing dead women to multiple husbands though, there isn't much else that it can mean.  

I really like the answer that Spencer W. Kimball gave when asked about this.  He was seeing a couple where the woman had been married, her husband had died, and she remarried another man and had children with him and everyone was worried about who would be sealed to who.  Spencer W. Kimball, if I recall correctly, just smiled and said that, while he is not sure how these things would end up being worked out, everyone should just concentrate on getting to the Celestial Kingdom, and the family arrangements would be more wonderful than they could possibly imagine.

While I admit the idea of my wife being sealed to another man or even married for this life to another man if I die causes a part of me to cringe, I like President Kimball's answer and I think I can get behind it.

There is a Brigham Young quote about whatever is happening in the CK it is indescribable (JLHPROF probably can say it off the top of his head).  Leads me to believe families then will be nothing like families now because we find it quite easily to describe families now, even when very messy. 

Edited by Calm
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2018 at 10:13 AM, bluebell said:

I can understand them not wanting that in print anymore and not wanting to put forth 'reasons why' that were not necessarily inspired but instead extrapolations based on existing doctrine.  As long as they routinely refuse to seal a living woman to more than one man while routinely sealing dead women to multiple husbands though, there isn't much else that it can mean.  

As an outsider, I would have to say I see it as a contradiction. A person is either sealed or that person is not sealed. If the dead woman could pick and choose and make her own determination upon seeing her intended, then I would have to submit that the sealing amounted to NOTHING! It would be more fuel for my side of a debate that believes that no one is married or given in marriage in heaven because there is no need for procreation in the afterlife. The countless multitudes that are in heave will be quite enough for all eternity. Besides, the entire CHURCH (body of all believers) are the bride of CHRIST anyway. I cannot imagine CHRIST believes in being joined to more than one body at a time.;)

Edited by LittleNipper
9 minutes ago, LittleNipper said:

As an outsider, I would have to say I see it as a contradiction. A person is either sealed or that person is not sealed. If the dead woman could pick and choose and make her own determination upon seeing her intended, then I would have to submit that the sealing amounted to NOTHING! It would be more fuel for my side of a debate that believes that no one is married or given in marriage in heaven because there is no need for procreation in the afterlife. The countless multitudes that are in heave will be quite enough for all eternity. Besides, the entire CHURCH (body of all believers) are the bride of CHRIST anyway. I cannot imagine CHRIST believes in being joined to more than one body at a time.;)

I can understand why you would see it that way, but what you don't know as an outsider is that the sealing isn't 'official' (for lack of a better word) until it is sealed by the Holy Ghost to have any binding power in the next life.  That is why a sinful person can't be sealed or be baptized, etc. and lie his way into heaven.  God must sign off (so to speak) on what has taken place in order for it to have any power.

2 hours ago, bluebell said:

I can understand why you would see it that way, but what you don't know as an outsider is that the sealing isn't 'official' (for lack of a better word) until it is sealed by the Holy Ghost to have any binding power in the next life.  That is why a sinful person can't be sealed or be baptized, etc. and lie his way into heaven.  God must sign off (so to speak) on what has taken place in order for it to have any power.

So, why not just let it up to GOD? I agree the Holy Ghost must in fact do the saving as well as the baptizing  ---- the rest is an illustration.

54 minutes ago, LittleNipper said:

So, why not just let it up to GOD? I agree the Holy Ghost must in fact do the saving as well as the baptizing  ---- the rest is an illustration.

Because that’s not what God wants us to do. He asks us to exercise our faith in Him by making covenants, and He gives men power to seal on earth and in heaven. 

None of that is an illusion. 

10 hours ago, bluebell said:

Because that’s not what God wants us to do. He asks us to exercise our faith in Him by making covenants, and He gives men power to seal on earth and in heaven. 

None of that is an illusion. 

I believe you will find that Jesus was still alive and speaking directly with HIS Apostles. They all died approximately 2000 years ago. What HE did say to the Church was to spread the Gospel. Satan is PRESENTLY still the cherub in command of the material realm which includes EARTH.  None of that is an illusion either ---- just note what the world is like and it isn't getting better! There will be a Millennial Kingdom for 1000 years with Jesus as KING (after the rapture & the 7 YEAR TRIBULATION), but after that come the final battle at Armageddon and the universe is obliterated and a New Heaven and New Earth created. Satan will exist only in the eternal lake of Fire and Brimstone and be remembered no more. Just in a short way explaining where Fundamentalists/Evangelical are coming from. 

24 minutes ago, LittleNipper said:

I believe you will find that Jesus was still alive and speaking directly with HIS Apostles. They all died approximately 2000 years ago. What HE did say to the Church was to spread the Gospel. Satan is PRESENTLY still the cherub in command of the material realm which includes EARTH.  None of that is an illusion either ---- just note what the world is like and it isn't getting better! There will be a Millennial Kingdom for 1000 years with Jesus as KING (after the rapture & the 7 YEAR TRIBULATION), but after that come the final battle at Armageddon and the universe is obliterated and a New Heaven and New Earth created. Satan will exist only in the eternal lake of Fire and Brimstone and be remembered no more. Just in a short way explaining where Fundamentalists/Evangelical are coming from. 

Jesus is still alive and still speaking with HIs apostles and prophets, just like the bible says. 

13 hours ago, LittleNipper said:

Gods people have always been a Covenant people, throughout the Bible. Why aren't you?

Biblical Covenants

The Bible reveals 7 different covenants, 4 GOD made with Israel: Abrahamic, Palestinian, Mosaic, Davidic. Of these, 3 are unconditional in nature ---- meaning, regardless of Israel's obedience or disobedience, God is committed to fulfilling these covenants with Israel. The Mosaic Covenant; however, is conditional in nature. That is, this covenant will bring either blessing or cursing depending on Israel's obedience or disobedience. 3 covenants: Adamic, Noahic, New are made between God and mankind in general, and are not limited to the nation of Israel.

The Adamic Covenant is split between the Edenic Covenant (innocence) and the Adamic Covenant (Genesis 3:16-19). The Edenic Covenant is found in (Genesis 1:26-30; 23:16-17). The Edenic Covenant outlined man’s responsibility regarding creation and God’s directive involving the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. The Adamic Covenant included the curses for the sin of Adam and Eve, as well as God’s provision for that sin (Genesis 3:15).

The Noahic Covenant was an unconditional covenant between God and Noah specifically and humanity (in general). After the Flood, God promised humanity that He would never again destroy all life on earth with a Flood (Genesis chapter 9). God established the rainbow as the covenant sign, a promise that the entire earth would never again be totally flooded and a reminder that God can and will judge sin (II Peter 2:5).

The Abrahamic Covenant (Genesis 12:1-3, 6-7; 13:14-17; 15; 17:1-14; 22:15-18) God promised many things to Abraham. GOD personally promised that He would make Abraham’s name great (Genesis 12:2), that Abraham would have numerous physical descendants (Genesis 13:16), and that he would be the father of many nations (Genesis 17:4-5). God also made promises regarding a nation called Israel. The geographical boundaries of the Abrahamic Covenant are laid out on more than one occasion in the book of Genesis (12:7; 13:14-15; 15:18-21). Another provision in the Abrahamic Covenant is that families of the world will be blessed through the physical line of Abraham (Genesis 12:13; 22:18) ----- referencing the Messiah of the line of Abraham.

The Palestinian Covenant (Deuteronomy 30:1-10), or Land Covenant, spotlights the land aspect that was detailed in the Abrahamic Covenant. According to the terms of this covenant, if the people disobeyed, God would scatter them around the world (Deuteronomy 30:3-4); however, He would restore the nation (verse 5). When the nation is restored, they will obey Him perfectly (verse 8), and God will cause them to prosper (verse 9).

The Mosaic Covenant (Deuteronomy 11) was a conditional covenant that either brought God's direct blessing for obedience or God's direct cursing for disobedience upon the nation of Israel. Part of that Mosaic Covenant was the 10 Commandments (Exodus 20) and the rest of the Law containing over 600 commands— approxamately 300 positive and 300 negative. The history books of the Old Testament (Joshua–Esther) detail how Israel succeeded at obeying the Law or how Israel failed miserably at obeying the Law. Deuteronomy 11:26-28 details the blessing/cursing motif.

The Davidic Covenant (II Samuel 7:8-16) focuses on the “seed” aspect of the Abrahamic Covenant. The promises to David in this passage are important. God promises David's lineage would be eternal and that his kingdom would never pass away permanently (verse 16). Obviously, the Davidic throne has existed for centuries. There will be a time, however, when someone from the line of David (JESUS) will again sit on the throne and rule as king. (Luke 1:32-33).

The New Covenant (Jeremiah 31:31-34) is made initially with the nation of Israel and, ultimately, with all mankind. In the New Covenant, God promises to forgive sin, and establish a universal knowledge of the Lord. Jesus Christ came to fulfill the Law of Moses (Matthew 5:17) and create a new covenant between God and His people. Now that we are under the New Covenant, both Jews and Gentiles can be free from the penalty of the Law. We are now given the opportunity to receive salvation as a free gift (Ephesian 2:8-9).

Within the discussion of the biblical covenants, there are a few issues that Christians do not agree on. Some Christians believe that all of the covenants are conditional in nature. If the covenants are conditional, then Israel failed miserably trying to fulfill them. Others believe that the unconditional covenants are not totally fulfilled and, regardless of Israel's disobedience, will occur at a future date. How does Christ's Church relate to the covenants? Some believe that the Church fulfills the covenants and God has abandoned Israel --- termed replacement theology and has little scriptural evidence. Others believe that the Church initially or partially will fulfill these covenants. While many of the promises towards Israel are future, many believe the Church shares in the covenants in some way. Still others feel that the covenants are for Israel ONLY, and that the church has no part in these covenants.

Edited by LittleNipper
36 minutes ago, LittleNipper said:

I'm under GOD's Covenant. He isn't under mine.

A covenant is a binding agreement between two or more people. God is not under covenant to us but He is bound by the covenant He makes with us once He makes it.

On 4/11/2018 at 9:18 PM, Calm said:

Pardon me...haven't read yet the whole thread..but I stopped here..how does things get removed from the handbook..without some sort of revelation or approval and/or more knowledge of something this important?

You will have to ask the editors.  I assume the department/committee dealing with the Handbook like others are overseen by a couple of apostles (don't know if there is a separate committee just for it, seems likely it would be handled by the Coorelation committee.