church issues statement about utopia project

My first question is....is he living in 200 sq ft of space? Hopefully, his teams can come up with helpful ideas and devices for practical use but other than that this seems like a pampered rich guy dictating what other people should do. This is the first I have heard about residents having to hand over all their money which makes it ever so much creepier. My first reaction to this and his tiny homes was a feeling of rats in a cage. His outdoor space is great...but not in winter.  And I have not seen him address the biggest obstacle of all, jobs. Are the people going to be milking the over the hill neighbors' cows for money?

"Each NewVistas community would be governed by a board comprised of husband-and-wife couples. Each resident would contribute all their net worth to a corporate trust that would operate businesses on-site.

"Your dividends are according to what your contribution is," Hall said."

Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Sounds like he has read Walden II.

Iirc, everyone does put in several hours a week doing the tending the crops, weeding the yard.  No one has cars, but there is supposed to be a light industry area.  Probably sees shopping as mostly online for larger inventory, small stores to get an idea.  But it looks like the boards give out allowances or something so maybe little choice as well.

I find his business ethics dishonest, the sites he has purchased in the Pleasant View area if I have targeted right look awful in a lovely neighbour which is still getting lots of improvements on older homes so his refusal to let them go and instead arming them out as vacation homes or overloading them with students or his worse, turning 3 of them into parking lots is just rotten tricks to force people out.

And he could go a half an hour or less south and pick up land that is just being developed with little ti no disruption of neighbours.  Pure selfishness to put his "this is the place" stack in other people's neighbourhood.

my first question was shouldn't he start on a smaller scale to see if it can work before he starts with such a huge project? A failure with say 10,000 people, while tragic, has far less negative impact than a failure with 2,000,000 people.

second, I dont see any particular reasoning for choosing the locations he does. Shouldn't you choose a location based on resources and someplace the already local residents wont have a cow?

third, how is this based off josephs model? While it shares some principles, Josephs city was centered around the church and gospel, with the centerpiece being the temple. How can he do that if the church isn't onboard? He sure as heck can't build a temple on his own.

Of course the church doesn't support it.   

I am not surprised it doesn't support what is proposed for Provo ---- that has the whole community up in arms. 

The LDS Church is not supporting NewVistas. When asked for comment, church spokesman Eric Hawkins issued the following statement:

"This is a private venture and is not associated with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in any way. The church makes no judgment about the scientific, environmental or social merits of the proposed developments. However, for a variety of reasons, we are not in favor of the proposal."

6 hours ago, Avatar4321 said:

my first question was shouldn't he start on a smaller scale to see if it can work before he starts with such a huge project? A failure with say 10,000 people, while tragic, has far less negative impact than a failure with 2,000,000 people.

second, I dont see any particular reasoning for choosing the locations he does. Shouldn't you choose a location based on resources and someplace the already local residents wont have a cow?

third, how is this based off josephs model? While it shares some principles, Josephs city was centered around the church and gospel, with the centerpiece being the temple. How can he do that if the church isn't onboard? He sure as heck can't build a temple on his own.

He chose one for emotional reasons according to past articles.  Vermont is familiar to him from childhood, iirc.  I have no clue why the BYU neighbourhood choice....perhaps because he wants it where it would be visible or seen as in the middle of things so people don't think of it as unrealistic?  Spring Creek sounds like the most (only) reasonable approach he has had but I haven't read stuff from that neighbourhood yet.

He stated in another article in regards to the Provo venture something that amounted to his way was the future and people should just accept that and move on (meaning give up on their own hopes for their home and neighbourhood and accept his terms for selling their home and move out).  He was going to win because he could afford to take his time.  All paraphasing...

Edited by Calm

I love that he imagines that all he has to do to create the things he needs for this pipe dream is to tell people to build modular rooms and little robots that rearrange the furniture as if no one had thought of these ideas before.

One that only hope that a fool and his money are soon parted.

18 hours ago, Calm said:

He chose one for emotional reasons according to past articles.  Vermont is familiar to him from childhood, iirc.  I have no clue why the BYU neighbourhood choice....perhaps because he wants it where it would be visible or seen as in the middle of things so people don't think of it as unrealistic?  Spring Creek sounds like the most (only) reasonable approach he has had but I haven't read stuff from that neighbourhood yet.

He stated in another article in regards to the Provo venture something that amounted to his way was the future and people should just accept that and move on (meaning give up on their own hopes for their home and neighbourhood and accept his terms for selling their home and move out).  He was going to win because he could afford to take his time.  All paraphasing...

which leads me to wonder how you can build a City on Josephs model from a position of pride.