The financial walrus that crawled into me, back acct. hack

Duncan

So, yestarday I went to the mall across the street with my son and I had cash so I got us some donuts from timmies and him a choc, milk. Well, I then tried to buy something elsewhere and my card kept getting declined so I was unsure as to why as I have money in my acct. I went to the ATM and turns out I had a negative balance and I was totally and completely  gobsmacked. So I went to the bank teller and she was new and so the manager just said that all of my money plus more to get me into a negative balance was withdrawn and told me to call their head office to figure out what happened. So, I was feeling sick about losing everything and then I called and long story short my acct. got hacked they drained everything. So, I was on the phone all yestarday with this and that person, bureau etc. some of it has come back or will as I can prove one thing and I anticipate at least financially things will be better by next week. I will have by then put some money in and then to call them 4 business days later and maybe by then the investigations people will know more what happened. I have felt physically sick since yestarday and it's feeling better somewhat now but it's not the money but that everything can be wiped out in a second and there's nothing you can do about it to prevent it and the anxiety of having it happen again. I feel like a walrus crawled into me and is slowly leaving but it sucks and the hassle of this and that. Anybody have this happen to them?

I'm so sorry!  That is a horrible thing to deal with.  Thank goodness you'll get most if not all of it back but still!  Financial stuff gives me so much anxiety and something like that is one of my worst nightmares.

I hope it doesn't take very long to get it all sorted.

17 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I'm so sorry!  That is a horrible thing to deal with.  Thank goodness you'll get most if not all of it back but still!  Financial stuff gives me so much anxiety and something like that is one of my worst nightmares.

I hope it doesn't take very long to get it all sorted.

it should I hope! hhahahha! it's just the hassle of this and that and banks and "business days"-Thank you!!!!

I'm so sorry to learn of this.  Theft is always unpleasant and dealing with the aftermath sucks.  I have had my account hacked but the bank picked it up really quickly and sorted it all out for me and returned all the money immediately, so it wasn't too bad. Never learnt how they got my details though.  Good luck. Hope you feel better soon. 

6 minutes ago, sheilauk said:

I'm so sorry to learn of this.  Theft is always unpleasant and dealing with the aftermath sucks.  I have had my account hacked but the bank picked it up really quickly and sorted it all out for me and returned all the money immediately, so it wasn't too bad. Never learnt how they got my details though.  Good luck. Hope you feel better soon. 

Thank you!!!! sorry to hear you got hacked as well

It is such a sense of violation.  Nothing substantial has happened to me, but once there was a old leather purse given to us for my daughter to play with left in the back seat of the car when I went for a walk along the river.  Got back and the window was smashed and the purse was gone.  We think the only thing in it was actually pepper spray leftover from our then very recent trip to Russia (we had stored it there for traveling as the purse was thick enough to prevent it from getting over things if it burst and had forgotten to remove it), so we were so hoping it exploded in their face.

I was never able to go back to that part of the river, it just made me physically sick to think about it.

On ocassion, I think I've pushed the wrong button in email or something else and keep myself awake all night worrying.

I am sorry this happened, holidays are supposed to be fun (well, the only trouble is supposed to be with family fights or crazy relatives :P).

Edited by Calm
7 minutes ago, Calm said:

It is such a sense of violation.  Nothing substantial has happened to me, but once there was a old leather purse given to us for my daughter to play with left in the back seat of the car when I went for a walk along the river.  Got back and the window was smashed and the purse was gone.  We think the only thing in it was actually pepper spray leftover from our then very recent trip to Russia (we had stored it there for traveling as the purse was thick enough to prevent it from getting over things if it burst and had forgotten to remove it), so we were so hoping it exploded in their face.

I was never able to go back to that part of the river, it just made me physically sick to think about it.

On ocassion, I think I've pushed the wrong button in email or something else and keep myself awake all night worrying.

I am sorry this happened, holidays are supposed to be fun (well, the only trouble is supposed to be with family fights or crazy relatives :P).

it has been an emotional roller coaster, like two days ago everything was fine and dandy, now things are getting clearer but still! thank you!!!

27 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Duncan, any words of advice,  sort of a "wish I knew then what I know now"?

Sorry this happened to you, and a rotten time of year too.  

oh, thank you!!! um, check your balance often, especially for bigger purchases, keep receipts-I can get some of it back but hopefully more. I'll know more next week. I have been reading online about others and some folks lose thousands, thankfully I am poor but it still stings. My appetite has returned though!