Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

Hstephen Colbert & Oprah - Last Thursday On " Late Night "


Recommended Posts

Posted

Confession to make--I love Stephen Colbert.  While I don't actually have a TV, I've long enjoyed streaming his Comedy Central program in the evenings, watching it with my wife on her laptop after the kids were in bed.  And his searing roast of President George W. Bush in the 2006 White House Press Corps Dinner is for the ages (if you've never seen it - let youtube be your friend). 

 

And while I miss the faster pace of the previous show, I'm now quite enjoying his hosting on Late Night.  And last Thursday, his interview with Oprah, extraordinary.  Swapping Bible verses, his from the Gospel of Matthew, 6:25-34, Jesus's commandment to "not worry"--well, let's just say no one would have confused him with Letterman. 

 

The Atlantic did a write-up on it here: http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/10/stephen-colbert-is-bringing-religion-to-late-night/410959/. Worth a read. 

 

What do people think of Colbert's injecting his Christian Faith (he's a practicing Roman Catholic) into his program?  Is it a good thing?  And what do you think of his favorite verse?  Do you agree with his conclusion Jesus commanded something we can't do of ourselves?  And what is the implication? 

 

--Erik

 

Posted

I don't have a problem with it. It's between him and his employer. If viewers don't like it, we'll know soon enough.

Posted

I appreciate any educated host who is not overly arrogant.  There are so few out there imo that I have never developed the habit of watching talk shows (Colbert's previous show was the closest I had to a habit a few years ago, but haven't watched it for a long time), so haven't seen him yet.  Perhaps when this segment goes to youtube.

Posted

...........................................................................

 

What do people think of Colbert's injecting his Christian Faith (he's a practicing Roman Catholic) into his program?  Is it a good thing?  And what do you think of his favorite verse?  Do you agree with his conclusion Jesus commanded something we can't do of ourselves?  And what is the implication? 

 

--Erik

I think that it is refreshing, Erik.  I also like to see David Brooks refer to his Judaism, and Mark Shields to his Roman Catholic beliefs -- on the PBS Newshour.They are not ashamed of their respective faith traditions.

Posted

Confession to make--I love Stephen Colbert.  While I don't actually have a TV, I've long enjoyed streaming his Comedy Central program in the evenings, watching it with my wife on her laptop after the kids were in bed.  And his searing roast of President George W. Bush in the 2006 White House Press Corps Dinner is for the ages (if you've never seen it - let youtube be your friend). 

 

And while I miss the faster pace of the previous show, I'm now quite enjoying his hosting on Late Night.  And last Thursday, his interview with Oprah, extraordinary.  Swapping Bible verses, his from the Gospel of Matthew, 6:25-34, Jesus's commandment to "not worry"--well, let's just say no one would have confused him with Letterman. 

 

The Atlantic did a write-up on it here: http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/10/stephen-colbert-is-bringing-religion-to-late-night/410959/. Worth a read. 

 

What do people think of Colbert's injecting his Christian Faith (he's a practicing Roman Catholic) into his program?  Is it a good thing?  And what do you think of his favorite verse?  Do you agree with his conclusion Jesus commanded something we can't do of ourselves?  And what is the implication? 

 

--Erik

 

IMO Stephen Colbert is a slobbering idiot.

Posted

Just to be clear, for those who didn't see it, what we're talking about is a major network late-night talk show host asking Oprah Winfrey what her favorite scripture in the Bible is, and then them both (seriously) discussing their favorite scriptures.  It could have been the set up for a joke or punchline.  But it was a sincere discussion of their Christian faith in the middle of a late night talk show.

 

Think about that for a second.  I watched that interview the day after it aired and literally said "Wow" when the conversation turned in that direction.

 

While I'm not a huge fan of Colbert's new show, it is interesting to see how hard he is trying to make it something smarter and different than the other talk shows.  In addition to the expected celebrity guests, he has notable business and political personalities and people that you might not see on Kimmel or Fallon.  And when he does have someone one, he will ask them questions that go a little deeper and in directions you might not expect.

 

It may not be the recipe for blockbuster ratings (only time will tell), but it does make for interesting television. 

Posted

Confession to make--I love Stephen Colbert.  While I don't actually have a TV, I've long enjoyed streaming his Comedy Central program in the evenings, watching it with my wife on her laptop after the kids were in bed.  And his searing roast of President George W. Bush in the 2006 White House Press Corps Dinner is for the ages (if you've never seen it - let youtube be your friend). 

 

And while I miss the faster pace of the previous show, I'm now quite enjoying his hosting on Late Night.  And last Thursday, his interview with Oprah, extraordinary.  Swapping Bible verses, his from the Gospel of Matthew, 6:25-34, Jesus's commandment to "not worry"--well, let's just say no one would have confused him with Letterman. 

 

The Atlantic did a write-up on it here: http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/10/stephen-colbert-is-bringing-religion-to-late-night/410959/. Worth a read. 

 

What do people think of Colbert's injecting his Christian Faith (he's a practicing Roman Catholic) into his program?  Is it a good thing?  And what do you think of his favorite verse?  Do you agree with his conclusion Jesus commanded something we can't do of ourselves?  And what is the implication? 

 

--Erik

I also like Corbert. He is a good balance to Fox News.

Posted

Confession to make--I love Stephen Colbert.  While I don't actually have a TV, I've long enjoyed streaming his Comedy Central program in the evenings, watching it with my wife on her laptop after the kids were in bed.  And his searing roast of President George W. Bush in the 2006 White House Press Corps Dinner is for the ages (if you've never seen it - let youtube be your friend). 

 

And while I miss the faster pace of the previous show, I'm now quite enjoying his hosting on Late Night.  And last Thursday, his interview with Oprah, extraordinary.  Swapping Bible verses, his from the Gospel of Matthew, 6:25-34, Jesus's commandment to "not worry"--well, let's just say no one would have confused him with Letterman. 

 

The Atlantic did a write-up on it here: http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/10/stephen-colbert-is-bringing-religion-to-late-night/410959/. Worth a read. 

 

What do people think of Colbert's injecting his Christian Faith (he's a practicing Roman Catholic) into his program?  Is it a good thing?  And what do you think of his favorite verse?  Do you agree with his conclusion Jesus commanded something we can't do of ourselves?  And what is the implication? 

 

--Erik

I love Colbert. he's awesome. I missed this Oprah episode so I'm going to have to go back and find it.

His hosting, from what I've seen, has been pretty rocky, but he'll find his place. I remember when Fallon started. It was painful to watch. Now he's pretty good. Late night shows are better now than they've ever been, I think. I hardly ever get to watch them, but I like them, for the most part.

Posted

Don't be bashful, ERay; tell us what you really think. These subtle hints might just go over a few people's heads.

 

I just couldn't think of any other description that fit.  Sorry if it offends anyone.

Posted

I just couldn't think of any other description that fit.  Sorry if it offends anyone.

 

Doesn't offend me. The Colbert Report was a brilliant satire of the O'Reilly Factor, whether or not you agree with the politics of either.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...