Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

Why Did Polygamy Need To Be Restored When Not Previously Commanded?


Recommended Posts

Posted

You are operating under the false assumption that the Bible is a complete record of God's dealings with man.  You need to correct your presumption that is based upon this false assumption and then get back to us.

I agree. Like most so called scripture the bible has issues. So does the LDS canon.

Posted

And why the heck should I have confidence in your alleged revelations?

You must necessarily go with your own heart and opinion (conscience).  However, one must learn to give respect in order to get it.  The golden rule, Teancum.

Posted

You know, I don't post so vehemently in defense of plural marriage because I think all people must accept it or that those like yourself who don't should be converted to my way of thinking.

There are so many who doubt, question, and don't study that will believe whatever they read.  I like to make sure that the alternative view to the anti-polygamy arguments is presented.  If someone truly despises the practice and thinks it from the devil or Joseph's lust I'm not going to be able to convince them otherwise. 

But I'll be darned if I am going to let someone tumble headlong into faith crisis without at least presenting the opposing doctrinal view and faith perspective when the issue comes up.

I get that.  You are always calm and respectful when posting here (from what I've seen).  I have not seen you resort to put downs or personal attacks either. Because of this, you are a lot more effective when compared to some on here who don't show the same restraint.  Of course, this applies to both sides of any discussion.

 

I know we disagree when it comes to polygamy, but I feel that if you and I were in the same ward, we'd get along great and have some lively discussions in a respectful manner.

Posted

You must necessarily go with your own heart and opinion (conscience).  However, one must learn to give respect in order to get it.  The golden rule, Teancum.

Yes true. But I was responding to posts that are telling others that essentially their revelation is less and not in tune with the higher law.

Posted

I get that.  You are always calm and respectful when posting here (from what I've seen).  I have not seen you resort to put downs or personal attacks either. Because of this, you are a lot more effective when compared to some on here who don't show the same restraint.  Of course, this applies to both sides of any discussion.

 

I know we disagree when it comes to polygamy, but I feel that if you and I were in the same ward, we'd get along great and have some lively discussions in a respectful manner.

Same here. JL is very polite. Much more so than me.

Posted

I get that.  You are always calm and respectful when posting here (from what I've seen).  I have not seen you resort to put downs or personal attacks either. Because of this, you are a lot more effective when compared to some on here who don't show the same restraint.  Of course, this applies to both sides of any discussion.

 

I know we disagree when it comes to polygamy, but I feel that if you and I were in the same ward, we'd get along great and have some lively discussions in a respectful manner.

 

I appreciate it, but I do occasionally lose my temper in a post.

Posted (edited)

I don't get this thread....  There is an instance or two in the Bible in which God directly commands a wife, wives, concubine, whatever.

So, clearly that's a commandment from God.

 

It should be noted that the Sealing Ordinance and Polygamy worked similarly in the early church.

Not everyone was commanded to live it.

Edited by williamsmith
Posted (edited)

I don't get this thread....  There is an instance or two in the Bible in which God directly commands a wife, wives, concubine, whatever.

So, clearly that's a commandment from God.

 

If you read the entire thread (I know it's long), you'll see that God did not directly command anyone to live polygamy as part of the gospel of Jesus Christ in the Bible.  The only record of this happening comes from Joseph Smith, the angel with the drawn sword, and so on.

Edited by ALarson
Posted

The "will of the Lord" according to Joseph Smith?  This had not been established prior to his claims about polygamy being a commandment from God.

This is why we have the Holy Spirit to confirm the truth of things. It will never be established by man.

Posted

This is why we have the Holy Spirit to confirm the truth of things. It will never be established by man.

Well, regarding your first sentence, we agree.  As far as your second sentence, the Holy Spirit has confirmed to me that the type of polygamy and polyandry that Joseph practiced was indeed established by man.  

Posted (edited)

This is why we have the Holy Spirit to confirm the truth of things. It will never be established by man.

Yet you and ALarson are still relying on interpretations of what you think are feelings and thoughts from God and not some other source. It's not as absolute as you seem to be implying. "Truth", whatever it is, is always at least established through humans, who taint its reliability.

Edited by SmileyMcGee
Posted

If you read the entire thread (I know it's long), you'll see that God did not directly command anyone to live polygamy as part of the gospel of Jesus Christ in the Bible.  The only record of this happening comes from Joseph Smith, the angel with the drawn sword, and so on.

 

And I provided a perfectly reasonable explanation as to why.

Posted

Well, regarding your first sentence, we agree.  As far as your second sentence, the Holy Spirit has confirmed to me that the type of polygamy and polyandry that Joseph practiced was indeed established by man.  

Well we each need to to follow our own conscience and decide for ourselves what voice is speaking to us. The thing is neither one of us has the whole Church under our stewardship but we will stand before Christ and Joesph Smith and answer for our words and actions.

Posted

Yet you and ALarson are still relying on interpretations of what you think are feelings and thoughts from God and not some other source. It's not as absolute as you seem to be implying. "Truth", whatever it is, is always at least established through humans, who taint its reliability.

I am relying on direct words to me by God. They are not binding on you or anyone else, only me for my stewardship. I suggest it is to each of our benefits to cultivate conversation with God. I'm a spiritual hard head, feelings are not going to cut it. 

Posted

I am relying on direct words to me by God. 

So has God actually spoken to you regarding polygamy?  This is a sincere question.  I don't belittle anyone else's spiritual experiences even if they're different from my own.

Posted

I don't get this thread.... There is an instance or two in the Bible in which God directly commands a wife, wives, concubine, whatever.

So, clearly that's a commandment from God.

It should be noted that the Sealing Ordinance and Polygamy worked similarly in the early church.

Not everyone was commanded to live it.

Leviticus is not clear, what other instance does God command it?
Posted

So has God actually spoken to you regarding polygamy?  This is a sincere question.  I don't belittle anyone else's spiritual experiences even if they're different from my own.

No, He just told me to get sealed to my wife, before it's too late.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...