Something I’Ve Learned In Church Today....

LOSTONE

I love my church. Love the people and the message. It feels like home to me. I have no real complains about it. However... It would seem that there is a structure that must be respected at church, especially during service, while the message is being given.

Turns out I nor does anyone have the right to stand up, raise their hand, and shout “ I object “ when the pastor says something you disagree with during services. Turns out, many including church security considers that to be a bold distribution that will not be accepted. Turns out, church is not structured the same way as court is.

So grateful my church is a forgiving church. I will now sit silently off to the side and listen without expressing my view points so obviously. :sorry:

Dang, that would have been fun to hear though. :). It would break my heart to miss church on bad days if I was going to risk missing something like that. :)

Let me tell you I've had that urge more than a few times. Mine wouldnt be "i object", it would be closer to "excuse me, but i think you may have gotten that slightly off doctrinally/historically speaking...if you wouldn't mind to much, I can share with you a great book/website where you can get more details but the gist is.....". Wonder how far I would make it through all that and if I would manag to actually get to the point.

No church security in our ward, I think people would just stare in shock and then I would mumble an apology and sit down very embarrassed if I ever had the nerve to follow through on the impulse.

If it was a burly guy who refused to sit down we have an excop, ex fireman in the congregration, couple of cowboys, exmilitary and a few others who can be quite intimidating when they want to be...and I would be shocked if there were not one or two concealed carriers as well just out of habit....so who needs church security. :)

We did have a lovely fast and testimony meeting today and a great RS lesson for which I was grateful since a friend from Norway was visiting and I wanted them to be worth her time, something just a little special to take home to fondly remember...but nothing so exciting as that.

I realize it would play havoc with the spirit, but it would make Sunday a learning experience about people and how they see things differently.

Edited by calmoriah

If it was a burly guy who refused to sit down we have an excop, ex fireman in the congregration, couple of cowboys, exmilitary and a few others who can be quite intimidating when they want to be...and I would be shocked if there were not one or two concealed carriers as well just out of habit....so who needs church security. :)

Our ward too, Cal...Our bishop was the Chief of Police for our city... his counselor was the Emer Rm head... Another member was a Sgt in the State Police... we have 2 city officers who attend in full uniform, with guns, because they go from Sac Mtg right to duty... I always felt quite secure. 

Now the bishop has retired, and also completed his service as bishop.  I have an appt for him and his wife to go target practicing because I haven't been in a while and I need to practice.   He teaches the gun safety class at Comm College.  He always carries... his wife is a crack shot, and has a gun that looks like Dirty Harry's.

Today we confirmed a new convert who was in uniform.. a fire dept person.  It's always funny to see the reaction of the visitors to these men in uniform because they are big and imposing in stature.

GG

It wasn’t so much what he said I disagreed with, but rather how he said it that I found seriously incorrect and annoying. The subject was about evolution. I agreed that I did not come from no apes or monkeys ( all though many swear I am the birth of a true Jack*ss ). But how he stated things just clicked wrong with me and the next thing I knew, I was standing up, hand raised, and objecting in a service about 3,000 strong. Yep, church is not structured the same way as court. Wow... Was this a totally new discovery for me to make, lol. It’s okay. I bet I will now have many new friends out of all this and a pastor who will look for me on Sundays, lmao.

This makes me chuckle... sort of... because it reminds me of a recent convert who came from an  evangelical background, one in which it was common to shout "Amen" and "Hallelujah"... So one Sunday someone was giving the talk and she shouts out "Amen!"  Not too long after she shouted out "That's right, Hallelulah!!"  Needless to say, people's mouths dropped open.  It was just such a surprise because that's not part of our culture...  I think someone spoke to her because she has not done so since.

GG

This makes me chuckle... sort of... because it reminds me of a recent convert who came from an  evangelical background, one in which it was common to shout "Amen" and "Hallelujah"... So one Sunday someone was giving the talk and she shouts out "Amen!"  Not too long after she shouted out "That's right, Hallelulah!!"  Needless to say, people's mouths dropped open.  It was just such a surprise because that's not part of our culture...  I think someone spoke to her because she has not done so since.

GG

Maybe I belong to the wrong church or it's how far off I've gone, but that sounds awesome!!

I am not going to say what I did was right or wrong, just that it was me being me in the moment of passion as it hit me. In my church, you can shout out “Amen!” and other things. Apparently you can not shout out “ I object! ” Who knew...? Apparently everyone but me, lol. Wow. Can’t say I didn’t learn anything. I sure did. :crazy:

GG

The Mormon version of that is to nod ones head.

It makes me appreciate how humble and reverent sacrament meeting is. No one claps after musical performances either.

Sacrament meeting is for worship, not entertainment and therefore calls for reverence.