Mormons Are The Salt Of The Earth.

EllenMaksoud

For Mormons concerned about those Ev always dissing us, I was talking to a Baptist Pastor today who described the Mormons as "The Salt of the Earth". That is pretty high praise, I am thinking.

And very significant, as Jesus characterized His disciples as "the salt of the earth." Ergo, anyone who would profess discipleship should aspire to be the salt of the earth.

And very significant, as Jesus characterized His disciples as "the salt of the earth." Ergo, anyone who would profess discipleship should aspire to be the salt of the earth.

He is a Pastor, and I was gratified that he refrained from calling us a cult, though he has issue with our becoming God's one day. Another was the scripture that says that God is invisible. He is nice enough, and as long as he is respectful we can talk. I told him about meetings I have attended that had Jews, Muslims and Christians and we all talked civilly and parted company on friendly terms. Heaven is won one convert at a time. :)

I have also been asked by a Shia Muslim Imam (Pastor) why I did not bring my Mormon friends by for a visit. That is a project in process. I do not want him calling Mormons Kafir, not really wanting to put them in a hurtful position.

Edited by EllenMaksoud

i disagree. i dont think mormons are the salt of the earh. im not a member but im open minded enough to visit the temple and missionaries and listen to them. im praying with real intent, an open heart and faith in christ, i still cant say if he went to america.                            . . .i think anybody with an open heart, a strong mind, true morality and serves other people as they would serve themselves could be considered 'salt of the earth' ...it doesnt not matter if your mormon or not

I don't think anyone here is claiming that only Mormons are the "salt of the earth" or that every Mormon is.  I would assume that the pastor meant that in general "Mormons are good people" and didn't mean every last one of them either.

mormons are often good people. but so are lots other people too.

So, someone can't say that X people are salt of the earth without implying that nobody else is?  Sorry, but that seems a rather narrow outlook.  If I say that Muslims are great folks, that does not mean that I am saying that Catholics are not.  I am being inclusive, just as the pastor in Ellen's OP is being, as I am sure he thinks his own folks are SOTE, too.

i disagree. i dont think mormons are the salt of the earh. im not a member but im open minded enough to visit the temple and missionaries and listen to them. im praying with real intent, an open heart and faith in christ, i still cant say if he went to america.                            . . .i think anybody with an open heart, a strong mind, true morality and serves other people as they would serve themselves could be considered 'salt of the earth' ...it doesnt not matter if your mormon or not

Our Article of Faith #13 states: We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul-We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

It nowhere states that only Mormons are these things.

Great, I agree with what you have said. I am just coming from a different perspective, probably because I do not speak on behalf of LDS. If i were to be specific, i would say that 'good people are the salt of the earth', not 'mormons are the salt of the earth'. I think in the eyes of Creator/God/Universe/Spaghetti Monster, your saltiness does not depend.on what faith/path you follow, its how you live it that has the real effect on the world... IMO

But I guess that the OP is Mormon and was/is speaking as member of a group, i.e. we're on a Mormon forum here...

Great, I agree with what you have said. I am just coming from a different perspective, probably because I do not speak on behalf of LDS. If i were to be specific, i would say that 'good people are the salt of the earth', not 'mormons are the salt of the earth'. I think in the eyes of Creator/God/Universe/Spaghetti Monster, your saltiness does not depend.on what faith/path you follow, its how you live it that has the real effect on the world... IMO

But I guess that the OP is Mormon and was/is speaking as member of a group, i.e. we're on a Mormon forum here...

Christ uses Salt of the Earth as a metaphor for giving good flavor to the whole loaf of bread. Nowhere does he claim that salt is the only good thing in the loaf of bread. Christ refers to his followers as the Salt of the Earth. The Mormons are one group of his followers.

I have also been asked by a Shia Muslim Imam (Pastor) why I did not bring my Mormon friends by for a visit. That is a project in process. I do not want him calling Mormons Kafir, not really wanting to put them in a hurtful position.

I wouldn't worry about bring your Mormon friends along for a 

visit to the Shia Imam. He would have more of an issue with

the Mormon prophet Joseph Smith teaching God was once a

man who became God.

Gail

I wouldn't worry about bring your Mormon friends along for a 

visit to the Shia Imam. He would have more of an issue with

the Mormon prophet Joseph Smith teaching God was once a

man who became God.

Gail

I have issue with certain aspects of LDS theology myself, and have been honest about it. Admitedly, some things I have just had to shelve in the belief that Heavenly Father will see to it that those areas are cleared up.  Those who know me have seen fit to Baptise me, and give me two callings, on in humanitarian service and the other as a Ward Internet Missionary.