Calm Posted November 16, 2013 Posted November 16, 2013 What people and kind of people go to Spirit Prison instead of Spirit Paradise?The ignorant (not using this in a negative way, just to mean "uninformed", ie. someone living where the gospel was never taught) and the unrepentant (who must stay until they repent or pay fully for their own sins...this very last is what I define as "hell", I see the other parts of "Spirit Prison" as "Spirit School" as in people learning the gospel or learning and accepting the benefits of repentance, I dislike the term "Prison" applied to this type of experience even if they are 'imprisoned' by the limitations of not being fully freed from the wages of sin at that point, though would go so far to give it the label "Boarding School" ).
Garden Girl Posted November 17, 2013 Posted November 17, 2013 I try to, but I keep remembering past mistakes that keep popping into my head and I keep worrying because no unclean thing can enter the Lord's presence. I hear that and immediately think I have to be perfect and that mistakes doom my chances at exaltation and even after repenting the mistakes still pop in my mind when I read scriptures about sin. Hello VGJ...In spite of Tacenda's never hearing about laying our sins at Christ's feet, etc., I have heard that for years... and more importantly, the numerous talks from our leaders on the Atonement. I think you need to review some of these...and also some of the scriptures that tell us about forgiveness... My favorites: Isaiah 1:18 & 25... "Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool." And I will turn my hand upon thee, and purely purge away thy dross, and take away all thy sin... D&C 58:42 "Behold, he who has repented of his sins, the same is forgiven, and I, the Lord, remember them no more." I encourage you to do a "scripture search" in the Topical Guide and read on repentance and forgiveness, and in the Ensign and Conference talks on the Atonement... then picture yourself laying all of your concerns at the Savior's feet... sometimes I have to tell myself... remind myself... of the forgiveness that is mine... GG 2
VideoGameJunkie Posted November 17, 2013 Author Posted November 17, 2013 Hello VGJ...In spite of Tacenda's never hearing about laying our sins at Christ's feet, etc., I have heard that for years... and more importantly, the numerous talks from our leaders on the Atonement. I think you need to review some of these...and also some of the scriptures that tell us about forgiveness... My favorites: Isaiah 1:18 & 25... "Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool." And I will turn my hand upon thee, and purely purge away thy dross, and take away all thy sin... D&C 58:42 "Behold, he who has repented of his sins, the same is forgiven, and I, the Lord, remember them no more." I encourage you to do a "scripture search" in the Topical Guide and read on repentance and forgiveness, and in the Ensign and Conference talks on the Atonement... then picture yourself laying all of your concerns at the Savior's feet... sometimes I have to tell myself... remind myself... of the forgiveness that is mine... GGVery good advice. Thanks!
Hamba Tuhan Posted November 17, 2013 Posted November 17, 2013 (edited) Try not to think about exaltation. Maybe it's just me, but the blessings of the gospel in this life are so great and so immediate that I hardly ever think of what's to come, and when I do, I consider it more as just a natural of extension of what I have here. Edited November 17, 2013 by Hamba Tuhan
VideoGameJunkie Posted November 17, 2013 Author Posted November 17, 2013 It's all I've been thinking about lately. Kinda like exaltation or bust.
Garden Girl Posted November 17, 2013 Posted November 17, 2013 It's all I've been thinking about lately. Kinda like exaltation or bust. Hello VGJ...I'm going to get irked with you if you don't stop beating yourself... Here's some rhetorical questions... Do you attend Church regularly? Do you pray daily? Do you live the standards of the Church... if not, why not? What is it that you think is holding you back... something from your past? Something you're doing now? If it's from your past, then get busy and repent through prayer and never do that behavior again... If it's something you're doing now... then pray for strength to turn aside from that behavior, asking the Lord for forgiveness... and then do everything in your power to honor your vow not to repeat the behavior...And importantly, believe Christ when he says that when you repent your sins are remembered no more... and, forgive yourself.If you are trying to live the gospel, and daily keep your promises to the Lord, you're on the right path...If you're not making a true effort to live the gospel, then it's up to you to do something about it... and when you do, you will be on the right path... heading home... and renew your commitment every week when you take the sacrament... Christ's atonement is there for us... study it... embrace it... Good luck... GG
VideoGameJunkie Posted November 18, 2013 Author Posted November 18, 2013 Hello VGJ...I'm going to get irked with you if you don't stop beating yourself... Here's some rhetorical questions... Do you attend Church regularly? Do you pray daily? Do you live the standards of the Church... if not, why not? What is it that you think is holding you back... something from your past? Something you're doing now? If it's from your past, then get busy and repent through prayer and never do that behavior again... If it's something you're doing now... then pray for strength to turn aside from that behavior, asking the Lord for forgiveness... and then do everything in your power to honor your vow not to repeat the behavior...And importantly, believe Christ when he says that when you repent your sins are remembered no more... and, forgive yourself.If you are trying to live the gospel, and daily keep your promises to the Lord, you're on the right path...If you're not making a true effort to live the gospel, then it's up to you to do something about it... and when you do, you will be on the right path... heading home... and renew your commitment every week when you take the sacrament... Christ's atonement is there for us... study it... embrace it... Good luck... GGI attend church regularly, I pray daily, and I live the standards of the church the best I can. What's holding me back is my Tourette Syndrome and ADHD combo that causes me to worry about things when I shouldn't. I'm not sinning now, but I'm having trouble believing that I'm forgiven for my past of breaking temple covenants and the commandments in the past. It's from my past and I have repented, but I still feel the same, so I'm waiting for that forgiveness feeling to come upon, and occasionally the thoughts of the past sins come creeping into my memory. I am trying to live the gospel and keep my promises to the Lord, I'm just focused so much on my past life.
Hamba Tuhan Posted November 18, 2013 Posted November 18, 2013 I'm not sinning now... Then you're a far, far better man than I am! I have repented, but I still feel the same, so I'm waiting for that forgiveness feeling to come upon... I'm not sure what exactly you think you're waiting for, but can you feel the influence of the Holy Spirit in your life? A few years ago when Elder Oaks was here and did a fireside, someone asked in the Q&A about how to know if the burden of sin had been lifted. He pointed out that the Spirit cannot dwell in unholy places, so if we have the Spirit with us, then obviously we've been justified. 1
VideoGameJunkie Posted November 18, 2013 Author Posted November 18, 2013 Then you're a far, far better man than I am! I'm not sure what exactly you think you're waiting for, but can you feel the influence of the Holy Spirit in your life? A few years ago when Elder Oaks was here and did a fireside, someone asked in the Q&A about how to know if the burden of sin had been lifted. He pointed out that the Spirit cannot dwell in unholy places, so if we have the Spirit with us, then obviously we've been justified.I think it's I haven't recognized the spirit then recently. I do have anxiety issues caused by my medical conditions, so I think it's mainly the Tourettes and ADHD clouding my mind. But I'll live.
Calm Posted November 18, 2013 Posted November 18, 2013 (edited) I went for three years not being able to fell the Spirit due to a medication I was on..I can relate. I was able to trust that it was willing to work in my life even without me knowing it was there and eventually I could see signs of where it had been at worked...mostly in how others responded to the Spirit for my benefit.It does come down to trust though because it would be easy to say something was just a coincidence and talk oneself into believing that the further you get from the episode and the fuzzier the details get. Edited November 18, 2013 by calmoriah
VideoGameJunkie Posted November 18, 2013 Author Posted November 18, 2013 I went for three years not being able to fell the Spirit due to a medication I was on..I can relate. I was able to trust that it was willing to work in my life even without me knowing it was there and eventually I could see signs of where it had been at worked...mostly in how others responded to the Spirit for my benefit.It does come down to trust though because it would be easy to say something was just a coincidence and talk oneself into believing that the further you get from the episode and the fuzzier the details get.I'm happy someone else knows what I go through with my mental problems.
VideoGameJunkie Posted November 18, 2013 Author Posted November 18, 2013 So I worry because of my mental condition, as because my sins were fornication, which I confessed to my Bishop and he thankfully didn't pull my temple recommend. I've repented as much as I could and it's been a very long time since the mistake, but I still worry about it in my mind since it was such a serious sin. It's not like trying to find forgiveness for a minor sin, such as buying pizza on Sunday. So I've been worried and made this thread, because I'm hoping my sexual sins of my past, being very serious, won't prevent me from exaltation qualification. Hey that rhymed.
Hamba Tuhan Posted November 18, 2013 Posted November 18, 2013 (edited) So I've been worried and made this thread, because I'm hoping my sexual sins of my past, being very serious, won't prevent me from exaltation qualification. Nothing repented of has the power to separate us from the atoning power of Christ. 'For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved' -- John 3:17. On the other hand, all sin (including buying pizza on Sunday) is enough to damn us without Christ. Edited November 18, 2013 by Hamba Tuhan 1
VideoGameJunkie Posted November 18, 2013 Author Posted November 18, 2013 Nothing repented of has the power to separate us from the atoning power of Christ. 'For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved' -- John 3:17. On the other hand, all sin (including buying pizza on Sunday) is enough to damn us without Christ.Thank you for that. That helps a lot.
thesometimesaint Posted November 18, 2013 Posted November 18, 2013 I attend church regularly, I pray daily, and I live the standards of the church the best I can. What's holding me back is my Tourette Syndrome and ADHD combo that causes me to worry about things when I shouldn't. I'm not sinning now, but I'm having trouble believing that I'm forgiven for my past of breaking temple covenants and the commandments in the past. It's from my past and I have repented, but I still feel the same, so I'm waiting for that forgiveness feeling to come upon, and occasionally the thoughts of the past sins come creeping into my memory. I am trying to live the gospel and keep my promises to the Lord, I'm just focused so much on my past life. There is nothing to repent over in having Tourette's Syndrome and/or ADHD. Those are medical conditions not of your choosing. You have repented of those sins. God will not hold you accountable for them, nor will he even remember them. We remember them to give us wisdom to not do them again. 2
VideoGameJunkie Posted November 18, 2013 Author Posted November 18, 2013 There is nothing to repent over in having Tourette's Syndrome and/or ADHD. Those are medical conditions not of your choosing. You have repented of those sins. God will not hold you accountable for them, nor will he even remember them. We remember them to give us wisdom to not do them again.That's good to hear!
Calm Posted November 18, 2013 Posted November 18, 2013 So I worry because of my mental condition, as because my sins were fornication, which I confessed to my Bishop and he thankfully didn't pull my temple recommend. I've repented as much as I could and it's been a very long time since the mistake, but I still worry about it in my mind since it was such a serious sin. It's not like trying to find forgiveness for a minor sin, such as buying pizza on Sunday. So I've been worried and made this thread, because I'm hoping my sexual sins of my past, being very serious, won't prevent me from exaltation qualification. Hey that rhymed.In my opinion one should not judge the 'sinfulness' of sins by what they are, but by their tendency to keep us from giving ourselves fully to God. Remember the horror of the Anti-Nephi-Lehites of their past sins of murder which turned them so dramatically and firmly on a pathway to God. Compare that to someone who has a lifelong habit of gossiping about neighbours causing conflict and hurt feelings unnecessarily, who just can't seem to give it up and justifies it because its such a little thing, God won't mind....and yet if that sin is the one an individual can't let go of, that they've treasure more than their relationship with God, then ultimately that 'small'sin will be much worse than the murders of the truly repentant ANLs.And the others are right, the Lord takes into account our weaknesses and does not judge us for what we aren't capable of doing due to no fault of our own.
Garden Girl Posted November 19, 2013 Posted November 19, 2013 VGJ...One thing that helps me is to understand that I must forgive myself also... unless we forgive ourselves as we repent then we do feel continual shame and things eat at us which keeps us from finding the peace of the atonement and that comes from repentance... which it sounds like what you are feeling... so, have you forgiven yourself... if not, then perhaps that should be a focus... and also keeping an inner prayer in your heart. This will help you heal your Spirit and bring you closer to the Savior. GG
VideoGameJunkie Posted November 19, 2013 Author Posted November 19, 2013 VGJ...One thing that helps me is to understand that I must forgive myself also... unless we forgive ourselves as we repent then we do feel continual shame and things eat at us which keeps us from finding the peace of the atonement and that comes from repentance... which it sounds like what you are feeling... so, have you forgiven yourself... if not, then perhaps that should be a focus... and also keeping an inner prayer in your heart. This will help you heal your Spirit and bring you closer to the Savior. GGThat's the thing. I have not forgiven myself because I keep thinking about the seriousness of the sins. I need to forgive myself and move on. Someone suggested I watch a video by Jeffrey Holland called Rember Lot's Wife. I will soon.
Calm Posted November 19, 2013 Posted November 19, 2013 Believing Christ is another good book to help us remember the repentance process doesn't just stop at stopping sin, but purging it from our soul...including guilt.
Tacenda Posted November 19, 2013 Posted November 19, 2013 Believing Christ is another good book to help us remember the repentance process doesn't just stop at stopping sin, but purging it from our soul...including guilt.I tried to get that book to my brother, who was in jail. I know he is overwelmed with guilt. He's been in and out of jail and gave my parents a lot of grief. But wasn't able to give him it until he got out. I doubt he read it. Now he's back in jail for breaking probation. Hopefully he'll learn to forgive and love himself enough to quit his alcohol addiction and the things he does while under the influence.
VideoGameJunkie Posted November 19, 2013 Author Posted November 19, 2013 I tried to get that book to my brother, who was in jail. I know he is overwelmed with guilt. He's been in and out of jail and gave my parents a lot of grief. But wasn't able to give him it until he got out. I doubt he read it. Now he's back in jail for breaking probation. Hopefully he'll learn to forgive and love himself enough to quit his alcohol addiction and the things he does while under the influence.I'm sorry he and your family have to go through that.
Calm Posted November 19, 2013 Posted November 19, 2013 I tried to get that book to my brother, who was in jail. I know he is overwelmed with guilt. He's been in and out of jail and gave my parents a lot of grief. But wasn't able to give him it until he got out. I doubt he read it. Now he's back in jail for breaking probation. Hopefully he'll learn to forgive and love himself enough to quit his alcohol addiction and the things he does while under the influence.That can be heartbreaking to watch in our loved ones. It can be almost impossible to deal with addiction on one's own. I hope he will be able to get the help he needs when he is ready to use it.
Tacenda Posted November 19, 2013 Posted November 19, 2013 Thanks Miss Cal:) and VGJ! I really appreciate both of your comments. I really wanted VGJ to learn from the situation with my brother if possible, to break free of that chain of guilt. .
VideoGameJunkie Posted November 19, 2013 Author Posted November 19, 2013 Thanks Miss Cal:) and VGJ! I really appreciate both of your comments. I really wanted VGJ to learn from the situation with my brother if possible, to break free of that chain of guilt..And it's helping!
Recommended Posts