Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

Phases Of Missionary Work-?


Recommended Posts

Posted

Has anyone heard of this new approach to missionary work, i.e Phase 1 is Missionaries do all the work,Phase 2 is members help the missionaries with their work but Phase 3 is when missionaries help the members with their missionary work. Phase three is the best approach according this way of doing things. I was wondering if this is a local idea or not.

Posted

Phase 4: The calling and anointing of 144,000 high priests.

Seriously though, phase 3 is usually the most effective, and a big focus for missionary work around the world. Actually calling it phase 3 might just be a local thing though.

Posted

I think it's a false tricotomy. I don't think missionary work can be divided into distinct "phases" like that, either/or ---- I think "all of the above" is correct and appropriate in different situations or at different times --- sometimes all at once.

 

It sounds "new-age-ish," "foofy,", "happy-feely-fuzzy", etc. to me. Similar to "we don't have to work harder ---- we have to work smarter."

 

My mission (Arizona Tempe) has an outright ban on tracting, and a stated goal (an ideal) of having the missionaries be at the stake center all day with members bringing people to teach to them. This isn't missionary work, to me, and is not the type of mission I would have wanted to serve. I am concerned about this obvious trend, beginning with the recent missionary broadcast (tracting strongly disparaged, missionary "work" downgraded to less-than work in many cases ---- facebook/twitter missionary work, "chapel tours," all of which involve the appearance of doing missionary work without doing any actual "work").

 

Even the buzzword of the last two conferences: it's not missionary work, it's missionary fun!

 

To me, this "phase" theory is just another indication that the bar is at its lowest as far as perceived capability and potential of missionaries.

Posted

I think a big part of missionary work is for the missionaries themselves, lock, stock and barrel. I can't think of a better way to keep the youth from straying.

Posted

I think it's a false tricotomy. I don't think missionary work can be divided into distinct "phases" like that, either/or ---- I think "all of the above" is correct and appropriate in different situations or at different times --- sometimes all at once.

 

It sounds "new-age-ish," "foofy,", "happy-feely-fuzzy", etc. to me. Similar to "we don't have to work harder ---- we have to work smarter."

 

My mission (Arizona Tempe) has an outright ban on tracting, and a stated goal (an ideal) of having the missionaries be at the stake center all day with members bringing people to teach to them. This isn't missionary work, to me, and is not the type of mission I would have wanted to serve. I am concerned about this obvious trend, beginning with the recent missionary broadcast (tracting strongly disparaged, missionary "work" downgraded to less-than work in many cases ---- facebook/twitter missionary work, "chapel tours," all of which involve the appearance of doing missionary work without doing any actual "work").

 

Even the buzzword of the last two conferences: it's not missionary work, it's missionary fun!

 

To me, this "phase" theory is just another indication that the bar is at its lowest as far as perceived capability and potential of missionaries.

 

 

one of the elders told me just recently that if he knew they would be on facebook and doing indexing and chapel tours then he could have saved himself 10K and stayed home and not have to deal with the mumbo jumbo rules and stuff! haha! just be a local missionary during the day and do whatever at night

Posted

one of the elders told me just recently that if he knew they would be on facebook and doing indexing and chapel tours then he could have saved himself 10K and stayed home and not have to deal with the mumbo jumbo rules and stuff! haha! just be a local missionary during the day and do whatever at night

The chapel tours part really floored me. Elder Perry made it sound like there is a massive demand from non-members to have chapel tours at all hours of the day, and the buildings are usually locked, so missionaries will need to be "on-site" a lot more so they're there when people come to look inside. In reality, I think this is a "legalization" of the hanging around the chapels that many missionaries do ---- they are often in our building, doing nothing, really, for hours on end. Sometimes playing piano. It is a recognition that this crop of missionaries will hang around the buildings either way, so why not make it quasi-official.

 

I don't think there is a missionary or member with building keys who won't respond quickly to requests for actual building tours. I've given some myself (font, chapel, sacrament table, seminary rooms, gym, etc.). But to implement full-scale chapel tours as a regular part of the schedule?

 

I think this is a big part of the facebook/twitter "working smarter, not harder" thing. Since many missionaries are ill-prepared from their upbringing for the rigors of missionary work (cultural and generational, not the Church's fault), and since so many are electronics-addicted, more can stay out and feel like they're doing "work" by "officially" playing around on electronics. Isn't each missionary supposed to get an Ipad now?

 

We have a good sister from our ward on a mission, and she changes her profile pictures daily and posts things on facebook. And she really is a "cream of the crop" sister. I think the 18-24 month hiatus from things like that is really good for them, and is a thing of the past, now.

Posted (edited)

The chapel tours part really floored me. Elder Perry made it sound like there is a massive demand from non-members to have chapel tours at all hours of the day, and the buildings are usually locked, so missionaries will need to be "on-site" a lot more so they're there when people come to look inside. In reality, I think this is a "legalization" of the hanging around the chapels that many missionaries do ---- they are often in our building, doing nothing, really, for hours on end. Sometimes playing piano. It is a recognition that this crop of missionaries will hang around the buildings either way, so why not make it quasi-official.

 

I don't think there is a missionary or member with building keys who won't respond quickly to requests for actual building tours. I've given some myself (font, chapel, sacrament table, seminary rooms, gym, etc.). But to implement full-scale chapel tours as a regular part of the schedule?

 

I think this is a big part of the facebook/twitter "working smarter, not harder" thing. Since many missionaries are ill-prepared from their upbringing for the rigors of missionary work (cultural and generational, not the Church's fault), and since so many are electronics-addicted, more can stay out and feel like they're doing "work" by "officially" playing around on electronics. Isn't each missionary supposed to get an Ipad now?

 

We have a good sister from our ward on a mission, and she changes her profile pictures daily and posts things on facebook. And she really is a "cream of the crop" sister. I think the 18-24 month hiatus from things like that is really good for them, and is a thing of the past, now.

 

 

I see the elders in rural areas out here putting up stuff constantly on FB, problem is most of the people they friend are already members and they were told to keep it local for FB friends. I can see some good coming from it but I dunno. Our stake Centre is not visible at all from the main drag which means they elders and myself have to advertise!and you are correct that at least for us I don't know how many people want to walk in off the street into a chapel and just check it out, on some other day other then sundays. I feel for the missionaries, I really do. This mission has sent hoem now about 40 missionaries in the last 18 or so months. They just sent home another two last week. Last transfer our ward had 7 missionaries and within 3 weeks we were down to 3, with 2 going home early and 2 leaving to fill spots left by other missionaries going home. The elders told me they are told to say if anyone asks why elder or sister so and so went home it was because of medical reasons, even though the elders know that's a lie and the people they are telling knows it's a lie as well, one elder from England says he doesn't even know who to trust anymore, from leadership or other missionaries who things are "fine" the night before and then you hear they left a day later

 

plus we are having a ward mission leader training mtg on sunday with the stake president and the inactive High Councilor over missionary work, maybe he'll show up and they are having us call the members to get meal appointments because the missionaries don't know how to budget properly besides the meals they already get. Our ward has 6 missionaries which is really 2 too many and only maybe 80-90 active people and families don't usually have them over more then once a month

Edited by Duncan
Posted

one of the elders told me just recently that if he knew they would be on facebook and doing indexing and chapel tours then he could have saved himself 10K and stayed home and not have to deal with the mumbo jumbo rules and stuff! haha! just be a local missionary during the day and do whatever at night

This thread is discouraging to me... and if widespread seems like it would be discouraging to those who came out thinking they would be doing the "old style" of missionary work...  Have we tinkered with the program so much that it loses its effectiveness... I agree that members should be helping to find individuals for the mishes to teach, etc., but facebook, tours, etc doesn't sit well as the best use of young missionaries... If that's the emphasis, let regular ward members handle such things.

 

GG

Posted

This thread is discouraging to me... and if widespread seems like it would be discouraging to those who came out thinking they would be doing the "old style" of missionary work...  Have we tinkered with the program so much that it loses its effectiveness... I agree that members should be helping to find individuals for the mishes to teach, etc., but facebook, tours, etc doesn't sit well as the best use of young missionaries... If that's the emphasis, let regular ward members handle such things.

 

GG

 

 

and I think that's part of the problem, they have basically eliminated tracting and have stuffed so many missionaries into wards that their areas are the size of postage stamps and they do stuff that they could do at home and it seems like they are leaving, at least here, in droves. I think it's porportional to the amount of missionaries but didn't we raise the bar or teach them what to expect?  In my province and the next one over, after everyone who turns 12 is ordained to the AP and then everyone who is still active at 18 and gets the Melc. Priesthood and everyone who is active a year later and can go on a mission only 12% of those actually go on a mission. Then, if they stay out and then come home how many stay active? I dunno but I can count too, too many who aren't active. 

Posted

This thread is discouraging to me... and if widespread seems like it would be discouraging to those who came out thinking they would be doing the "old style" of missionary work...  Have we tinkered with the program so much that it loses its effectiveness... I agree that members should be helping to find individuals for the mishes to teach, etc., but facebook, tours, etc doesn't sit well as the best use of young missionaries... If that's the emphasis, let regular ward members handle such things.

 

GG

 

Tracting is not going away. Missionaries will not be hanging out at chapels all day, and using internet all day. I regularly meet with our Mission President. Programs are rolling out mission to mission, and such descriptions are not in the program. Some missionaries after watching the broadcast got overly excited, and started doing things they weren't authorized to do yet. The Church has very specific online rules and guidelines, and time restrictions in place.

 

These are not replacing the 'old ways', there are new tools being added to the toolbox to be used wisely and appropriately. It's unfortunate that some missionaries will take advantage of it, but I don't believe this will be the norm.

Posted

Tracting is not going away. Missionaries will not be hanging out at chapels all day, and using internet all day. I regularly meet with our Mission President. Programs are rolling out mission to mission, and such descriptions are not in the program. Some missionaries after watching the broadcast got overly excited, and started doing things they weren't authorized to do yet. The Church has very specific online rules and guidelines, and time restrictions in place.

Whether tracting is going away or not depends (for now) on the mission and the mission president. The "no tracting" ban *is* in place in multiple missions I am aware of, including my own (Arizona Tempe). We have two sets of elders in our ward: the Spanish ones (one waiting for a visa to Argentina, another from Mexico), and a set of new 18 year olds (one brand new, the other out six weeks). Last Wednesday, one of our High Priests went with the new pair, and they had no appointments. He suggested that they knock on doors, and they told him in no uncertain terms that *any* door to door was prohibited, no exceptions. He took them to visit inactive families.

 

Even under the very best of ideal circumstances, missionaries *will* have downtime (appointments fall out, etc.). If tracting/contacting is prohibited in favor of "easier" activities (chapel tours, social media, etc.), there is no way that this is more effective than that. And, nobody listening to the broadcast came away with a "just more tools for the toolbox" impression --- Elder Perry emphasized that tracting just isn't effective any more, people don't answer the door, etc.; hence, social media, chapel tours, and the like. It is no surprise that increasingly many mission presidents are taking that cue and eliminating tracting.

Posted

Whether tracting is going away or not depends (for now) on the mission and the mission president. The "no tracting" ban *is* in place in multiple missions I am aware of, including my own (Arizona Tempe). We have two sets of elders in our ward: the Spanish ones (one waiting for a visa to Argentina, another from Mexico), and a set of new 18 year olds (one brand new, the other out six weeks). Last Wednesday, one of our High Priests went with the new pair, and they had no appointments. He suggested that they knock on doors, and they told him in no uncertain terms that *any* door to door was prohibited, no exceptions. He took them to visit inactive families.

 

Even under the very best of ideal circumstances, missionaries *will* have downtime (appointments fall out, etc.). If tracting/contacting is prohibited in favor of "easier" activities (chapel tours, social media, etc.), there is no way that this is more effective than that. And, nobody listening to the broadcast came away with a "just more tools for the toolbox" impression --- Elder Perry emphasized that tracting just isn't effective any more, people don't answer the door, etc.; hence, social media, chapel tours, and the like. It is no surprise that increasingly many mission presidents are taking that cue and eliminating tracting.

 

 

The elders came by my place, they called ahead of course, but they stayed 2.5 hours! they had nothing to do and I was home but wasn't expecting them to stay for that long but I know how it is! so, we went over how things are and how we can get the word out better in the area. They were saying tht the Church won't spring for a $400 billboard ad to be seen by thousands, apparently some dept. is in charge and only they are in charge. the elders (we have one who is british and has a WICKED accent and says funny words!) were saying "they keep hollering on about hastening the work and for 400 dollars they could do that in this city but they leave us to our devices, which aren't good enough"

Posted

 but they leave us to our devices, which aren't good enough"

They must not have the Ipads, yet. Those devices are going to be awesome! ;)

Posted (edited)

And, nobody listening to the broadcast came away with a "just more tools for the toolbox" impression...

 

I did.

 

And the missionaries in our ward (we have four sisters) absolutely employ an all-of-the-above approach.

 

ETA: We had an Area 70 visit our ward in July, and after spending a day with us, he thanked us for aligning our efforts with 'prophetic priorities', so I didn't get the impression that we're doing anything too wrong. (Since I moved to this ward 10 years ago, our average sacrament attendance has gone up just shy of 250%, and the number of those holding temple recommends has roughly tripled, so my own assessment would be that we're doing some things right.)

 

ETA further: We did bishopric/stake presidency splits tonight, and at the beginning our stake president said he'd been with our new (as of 1 July) mission president and his wife last night. The report, according to the stake president, is that the mission president said he'd be happy if he could clone our ward across the mission since the report from our sisters is that we're actually doing the work with their help. Sorry to let you down, Cinepro.

Edited by Hamba Tuhan
Posted

From a UK perspective, I've been impressed by the missionaries I've encountered. A case in point a couple arrived early in my town for a meal with us. So what did they spend the 60 minutes they had free doing? Knocking on doors and talking to people they met.

The ones I've met seem to want to be "out there" teaching and talking to people. I find their faith a real encouragement.

I think the social media thing has advantages and disadvantages. I'm sure it'll be a learning curve for everyone.

As for the "phases", I'm sure wards go through those.

One thing I impress on missionaries is they are more than likely laying foundations for other missionaries. I bumped into my first pair on the street about 12 years ago. And over last 18 months met with many in my ward and near where I work and at temple visitors centre. Keeping a longer term view is important.

Oh and I'm meeting my local ones tomorrow to discuss and set baptism date. (Thanks to YOU folks for being "missionaries" too)

Light, Love and Peace

Posted

I had a companion who absolutely hated tracting and refused to do much of it.  At the time I thought he was lazy and disobedient, but it turns out he was just ahead of his time.

Posted

One thing I impress on missionaries is they are more than likely laying foundations for other missionaries. I bumped into my first pair on the street about 12 years ago. And over last 18 months met with many in my ward and near where I work and at temple visitors centre. Keeping a longer term view is important.

 

 

This is a crucial thing that detractors of tracting (detracters? :)   ) miss. The value in tracting far exceeds the mere numbers of baptisms and lessons taught through tracting. Many of my best experiences on my mission came through tracting. And many people who will eventually join the Church had contact via tracting over the years, and the "unsuccessful" tracting elders forge links in the chain. We taught a family in Germany, a wealthy and sharp one, whom we found through door to door, and the father had an old Book of Mormon from the 1960s that his father had gotten through door to door, and which he had given his son (both parents were school teachers). I have many such experiences like that.

Posted

The point is to contact people wherever and however we can. When I was a fulltime missionary in the 1990s, we tailored our contacting approaches to each area we served in. In small country towns, we knocked on doors much of the time because that's where people were. We knew, however, when the busy times at the local shops were, and we therefore made sure we often contacted outside the shops during those times. When assigned to certain city quarters, we used tracting in residential neighbourhoods that consisted of detached houses, but we saved that for late afternoon and into the evenings because that was when people were home. In other city quarters, we didn't knock on a single door since we couldn't; everyone lived in highrise buildings with security systems. Instead we contacted in busy shopping districts, on university campuses, and in subway stations, in each case picking the venue and time based on when we knew we were most likely to meet the greatest number of people. When and where appropriate, we used display boards in public places, and on the weekends we street-preached in the handful of public squares where that was common.

 

I would have loved to have access to additional resources like the internet and social media to utilise in addition to the abovementioned contacting methods, especially during less-productive times, which for us would have been mornings and, during the dead of winter, dark evenings when no one in his right mind wished to open the door. All of which sounds like what the apostles had in mind during the recent broadcast: 'During less-productive times of the day -- chiefly in the mornings -- missionaries will use computers in meetinghouses and other Church facilities to contact investigators and members, work with local priesthood leaders and mission leaders, receive and contact referrals, follow up on commitments, confirm appointments, and teach principles from Preach My Gospel using mormon.org, Facebook, blogs, email, and text messages'.

 

Regarding guided tours of buildings, I have to say that I love the idea of keeping our buildings open more frequently. The chapel our ward shares is located diagonally from the local shops in a very pedestrian-heavy neighbourhood, and we regularly have people just stop in on Sundays, during our Mutual nights, etc. I've even had this happen when I've been at the building quite late on a Saturday evening fulfilling a cleaning assignment. The young man who walked in was just hoping to ask directions to a sports club but ended up with an invitation to attend church, and he even came a couple of times after that.

Posted

The elders came by my place, they called ahead of course, but they stayed 2.5 hours! they had nothing to do and I was home but wasn't expecting them to stay for that long but I know how it is! so, we went over how things are and how we can get the word out better in the area. They were saying tht the Church won't spring for a $400 billboard ad to be seen by thousands, apparently some dept. is in charge and only they are in charge. the elders (we have one who is british and has a WICKED accent and says funny words!) were saying "they keep hollering on about hastening the work and for 400 dollars they could do that in this city but they leave us to our devices, which aren't good enough"

 

So basically these missionaries were whinging about some presumably magically effective billboard whilst camped out at your house for fully one-quarter of their proselyting hours doing nothing? I'm afraid they would have found me a bit less hospitable.

Posted

So basically these missionaries were whinging about some presumably magically effective billboard whilst camped out at your house for fully one-quarter of their proselyting hours doing nothing? I'm afraid they would have found me a bit less hospitable.

 

 

basically! one of them is British, from the "Norf" and he kept saying really weird words I couldn't figure out, but I hope things go better for them 

Posted

basically! one of them is British, from the "Norf" and he kept saying really weird words I couldn't figure out, but I hope things go better for them

Maybe the members need to buy the bulletin or get one donated. Seems the church gets plenty of donations, why not for that too.
Posted

Maybe the members need to buy the bulletin or get one donated. Seems the church gets plenty of donations, why not for that too.

 

 

ah, we are going to make a small billboard ourselves. The ward has a small budget so we'll just bill them for it!

Posted (edited)

Truth be told, though, I don't think a billboard (or any advertising, really) is any sort of panacea. The best thing, ultimately, is for people to see the missionaries "at work" and for missionaries to interact with people.

 

In our town (ca. 45,000 people), many non-members are amazed at seeing the "Schwinn Twins" (their term --- I thought it was clever, and not said disparagingly) riding bikes in shirt and ties with helmets in 115 degree heat. While they may not necessarily let them in the door, yet (granted that door to door is banned in our mission), the constant presence of them works on people over time.

Edited by rongo
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...