Miss Utah

thesometimesaint

Beauty contestants aren't known for their good sense, but this isn't helping.

http://occupyamerica...h.3SISl4u1.dpbs

Life in America is actually Bizarre and it is not Miss Wanna Be Utah that is Bizarre! I am just waiting to see how ridiculous the law enforcement people get over this. It's not the cops, but the self important megalomanialc paranoid people who spend their time counting their quarters and being walled up in gated communities. The prosecutors who are licking their chops wanting to have some trial that will make them a name. Where oh where are the people who have actual horse sense gone? :morg:

Hasn't anyone here put Menthos in pop? Has no one else ever broken the speed limit, or toilet papered a friiends house, or walked into the Mormon Visitor's center wearing a Niqab? What she did in my mind is pure foolish fun, and if I could, I would have been out there with her. Her only sin is she got caught. :acute:

Life in America is actually Bizarre and it is not Miss Wanna Be Utah that is Bizarre! I am just waiting to see how ridiculous the law enforcement people get over this. It's not the cops, but the self important megalomanialc paranoid people who spend their time counting their quarters and being walled up in gated communities. The prosecutors who are licking their chops wanting to have some trial that will make them a name. Where oh where are the people who have actual horse sense gone? :morg:

Hasn't anyone here put Menthos in pop? Has no one else ever broken the speed limit, or toilet papered a friiends house, or walked into the Mormon Visitor's center wearing a Niqab? What she did in my mind is pure foolish fun, and if I could, I would have been out there with her. Her only sin is she got caught. :acute:

This appears to have gone beyond the normal harmless prank stage. What they did had the potential to hurt someone.

I saw this in the news and it made me so angry.

I don't care where she's from or what religion she belongs to, what the he** was she thinking?! These things can kill people or animals. If I was her parents, I would have left her in jail a while longer.

"None of the bombs hurt anyone but they could have easily maimed or killed anyone they exploded near, Mecham said.

"They're very caustic, very nasty. So they can cause injury to somebody just if the chemicals get on somebody, much less the fragmentation of the shrapnel damage that can be caused," Mecham said. "They can very easily cause serious harm or even death."'

What she did in my mind is pure foolish fun
I think you need to look at the details a bit more. It was foolish and they may have not realized that what they used was so dangerous, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be held accountable anymore than a teen that gets drunk and goes for a joy ride and ends up accidentally killing someone or young adults who were playing with guns and shoot someone. It was dark, they could have easily not seen a dog or cat or even a person if they were driving fast and not taking their time to look at their targets. They could have killed themselves if the bombs had gone off accidentally. I know a guy who lost a hand because of foolish fun as a kid playing with firecrackers.

I think you need to look at the details a bit more. It was foolish and they may have not realized that what they used was so dangerous, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be held accountable anymore than a teen that gets drunk and goes for a joy ride and ends up accidentally killing someone or young adults who were playing with guns and shoot someone. It was dark, they could have easily not seen a dog or cat or even a person if they were driving fast and not taking their time to look at their targets. They could have killed themselves if the bombs had gone off accidentally. I know a guy who lost a hand because of foolish fun as a kid playing with firecrackers.

When I was growing up, I'd have been across my stepfather's knees, and the boys would be stringing fence till they got to china.

I don't care where she's from or what religion she belongs to, what the he** was she thinking?! These things can kill people or animals. If I was her parents, I would have left her in jail a while longer.

Oh, I see the gravity of the situation. When this young woman is 40 and herding 6 children, she will cringe at her past. Mean while, I will giggle in private from now on, promise. :)

I might have done this same thing myself, but I greatly feared being beaten within an inch of my life. It would never have gone to law, save being summoned by my parents. Even now, I shiver about the prospect.

They made bombs using hydrochloric acid and threw them from a car window, several times. If they used the internet to make the bombs, they certainly could have also searched for what the consequences are for making and throwing an acid bomb. It is arrest, every time. There is no reason these four people should be an exception.

An acid bomb is not really the same as a geyser made from soda and candy or a harmless prank like toilet papering someone's house.

They made bombs using hydrochloric acid and threw them from a car window, several times. If they used the internet to make the bombs, they certainly could have also searched for what the consequences are for making and throwing an acid bomb. It is arrest, every time. There is no reason these four people should be an exception.

An acid bomb is not really the same as a geyser made from soda and candy or a harmless prank like toilet papering someone's house.

What ? An acid bomb? You mean they actually could have hurt people with acid? What the ____ were they thinking! There has to be more to the story of such maliciousness. Of course, kids now days, spend all their time texting, doing video games, and other unseemly activities.

Oh wait! There is a new substance out in the ranks of college students called Bath Salts. I wonder if this was involved? In some places it is still not illegal, and makes users act irrationally. It is suspected that Bath Salts were involved in the Face Eating incident.

Wow, your link was overloaded but I did find one of dozens of links about these things on youtube. This is shockingly common. In the one I saw, the dumb boy put it withing a few feet of his house, and put a few pieces of aluminum in about a cup of acid. After seeing it, I wonder if all women should quit their jobs and stay home with the children and if all fathers should be required to spend at least one hour in direct conversation with their children every night? It was no real explosion, the bottle just gave up, spreading acid all up and down the side of his parents house and perhaps killing the hedge.

Now, 14 sticks of dynamite under an oak stump in the middle of the field is an explosion. These children, they know nothing.

Growing up, we always had a box or so of stumping dynamite out in a far shed. My brothers used it clearing land, and my mother spanked me if I got near them. If nothing else, it gave them horse sense. Life was no nonsense then, and there were no video games, or cell phones. I think I have no place in the world today.

The mischief that the young get up to today, almost makes me miss my pseudo Amish childhood. :(

Wow, your link was overloaded but I did find one of dozens of links about these things on youtube. This is shockingly common. In the one I saw, the dumb boy put it withing a few feet of his house, and put a few pieces of aluminum in about a cup of acid. After seeing it, I wonder if all women should quit their jobs and stay home with the children and if all fathers should be required to spend at least one hour in direct conversation with their children every night? It was no real explosion, the bottle just gave up, spreading acid all up and down the side of his parents house and perhaps killing the hedge.

Now, 14 sticks of dynamite under an oak stump in the middle of the field is an explosion. These children, they know nothing.

Growing up, we always had a box or so of stumping dynamite out in a far shed. My brothers used it clearing land, and my mother spanked me if I got near them. If nothing else, it gave them horse sense. Life was no nonsense then, and there were no video games, or cell phones. I think I have no place in the world today.

Ours was the irrigation ditch 100 yards up the road. Go near it and you knew you'd first be told of the kid who drowned at the very spot and then know you were grounded until you turned 30. Making any kind of explosive device would not have entered the realm of consideration. I don't know who these people are that make bombs "for fun".

They were thowing them at people also? Wonder how they would feel if the acid blinded someone, or scarred their face... or any number of injuries that apparently the bombs were capable of causing... and they thought this was funny?? How incredibly stupid...

GG

When I was growing up, I'd have been across my stepfather's knees, and the boys would be stringing fence till they got to china.

I suspect my mother would have looked at me like "do I know you?"...of course, I can't imagine doing this myself, the one chance I got to go TPing, I bailed on as all I could think of what the cleanup it would cause....it just didn't feel like the right kind of attention that time around.

I suspect my mother would have looked at me like "do I know you?"...of course, I can't imagine doing this myself, the one chance I got to go TPing, I bailed on as all I could think of what the cleanup it would cause....it just didn't feel like the right kind of attention that time around.

I mostly stayed out of trouble out of fear.

What ? An acid bomb? You mean they actually could have hurt people with acid? What the ____ were they thinking! There has to be more to the story of such maliciousness.

If it was household chemicals and aluminum foil, my husband says it was probably lye or drano as that combined with the foil makes hydrogen which goes, you know, boommm!, I tend to agree with him.

Some images of lye burns: never mind, they turned my stomach so anyone who is curious can look them up themselves.

If it was household chemicals and aluminum foil, my husband says it was probably lye as that combined with the foil makes hydrogen which goes, you know, boommm!, I tend to agree with him.

Some images of lye burns: never mind, they turned my stomach so anyone who is curious can look them up themselves.

When I was a teen, I worked in the kitchen of a 500 bed hospital full of combat fatigue, and TB veterans. Every once in a while, the cooks would fill one of the steam pots, which was huge, with lye and put the cookie sheets and other grease covered untilsils in. Just one drop of it on my hand was enough.

Oddly, I think the man I worked with may have been my first contact with Mormons. That was about 1962. I wish I had listened then. I am now.

Beauty queen Kendra Gill, crowned Miss Riverton in June, and three other 18-year-olds were arrested on Saturday on suspicion of detonating incendiary devices during a bomb-throwing spree that began on Friday night, Unified Fire Authority Captain Clint Mecham said.

"This wasn't just like kids blowing up a mailbox," he said.

Police received numerous calls late on Friday about the sound of explosions or gunshots in a Riverton neighbourhood where investigators later found remnants of bombs constructed from household chemicals, aluminum foil and plastic water bottles.

Residents of the neighbourhood and other areas of Riverton reported that the devices were being thrown from a dark-coloured car, according to arrest records.

A resident of one of the homes targeted told investigators her former boyfriend, Bryce Stone, owned a car matching that description. Stone later told investigators he had spent the evening "'pranking' with fireworks with friends," records show.

Gill, Stone and two other 18-year-olds were arrested on suspicion of 10 felony counts of setting off explosives, according to booking documents. They were each released on $50,000 bail on Sunday, jail officials said.

No one was injured by the blasts, which caused minor property damage, but the explosives could have caused severe harm from acid burns or shrapnel, Mecham said.

Officials with the Miss Utah Scholarship Pageant said they have taken no action since no official charges have been filed against Gill.

"We're supportive of her and the local Riverton pageant organization," said spokeswoman Justi Lundeberg. "Since no formal charges have been brought, we're hopeful this will just blow over and we'll consider it an unfortunate event."

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/08/06/utah-beauty-queen-kendra-gill-accused-of-throwing-homemade-bombs

Not that we're supportive of her because we think she's innocent...but instead we're hoping no one will notice....

If I lived in Riverton, I'd be writing the contest people and letting them have it.

They were arrested, how is that not formal charges?

The string of incidents began on Friday night when people began calling 911 to report people in a dark car hurling explosive devices at people and homes in Riverton, a city of about 40,000 people 20 miles south of Salt Lake City, according to arrest records.

Kendra McKenzie Gill and three others were arrested early Saturday after allegedly tossing makeshift explosives in neighborhoods at least 10 times.

Witnesses in one incident told investigators people in a car threw four devices them, which exploded, and then sped off in the car, according to arrest records.

Police said the four 18-year-olds admitted buying plastic bottles, aluminum foil and household chemicals at a local Walmart store before assembling the devices.

"Apparently these individuals were throwing them at various people and property throughout Riverton," Unified Fire Authority Captain Clint Mecham told KUTV-TV, adding that nobody was injured. "This goes well beyond a teenage prank."

Gill was booked on suspicion of 10 felony counts of detonating an incendiary device. She didn't appear on the Salt Lake County jail roster Monday morning, and no phone number for her was listed.

The others arrested in the case were John Patrick Reagh, Shanna Marie Smith and Bryce Christopher Stone. It wasn't immediately clear if any of the four had an attorney.

Stone, who was driving the car, reportedly told investigators that he and his friends were "pranking" with fireworks with his friends.

But fire officials said the devices -- which can spew caustic chemicals and shrapnel when they burst -- can be very dangerous.

"These kind of devices can damage property, they can maim and kill individuals if they come in close proximity to them," Mecham told ABC 4/KTVX.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/utah-beauty-queen-accused-of-hurling-homemade-bombs-from-car

So it appears that the only reason no one got hurt was because their aim was bad....

http://www.thedenver...-bombs-from-car

So it appears that the only reason no one got hurt was because their aim was bad....

I, too, would be writing pageant officials... I actually think there should be some type of consequences, whether it be service or something else... and, that she should not be able to compete for Miss Utah, instead of merrily going on her way. I hope the potential seriousness of what they did does not escape them...

GG

So I guess she won't be giving "World peace" as an answer to everything, huh?

I, too, would be writing pageant officials... I actually think there should be some type of consequences, whether it be service or something else... and, that she should not be able to compete for Miss Utah, instead of merrily going on her way. I hope the potential seriousness of what they did does not escape them...

GG

There is a rule in the pageant about criminal behaviour disqualifying someone and some of the other articles I read made it sound like the pageant officials were taking it more seriously than the quote I quoted above...it is possible that the woman quoted didn't have the information yet as another paper quoted her as hoping it was a misunderstanding, so it may have been the reporter's slanting it a bit to make it sound more sensational.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/article/Utah-pageant-winner-accused-of-throwing-bombs-4707201.php

Apparently when the bottles explode there is a 'flash fire' and the chemicals/water is boiling...that doesn't even address the caustic effect of having drano or toilet bowl cleaner being thrown at you, getting in your eyes, etc.

I am not suggesting throwing the key away or ruining her life, but some jail time--short because no one was harm--and some major community service AND going door to door in that neighbourhood and apologizing for risking people's lives and property should be required, imo.

And perhaps she should make an education video where she gets to have makeup put on her that mimics what happens when lye is throw at you to show in schools and such would be a good idea.

One of the bottles (or more) was apparently thrown at the exgirlfriend's house of the guy she was with. Sounds like malice to me.

http://www.upi.com/O...83621375739962/

And she should either give back the $2000 for the pageant she won or donate it to a victims' group.

Apparently when the bottles explode there is a 'flash fire' and the chemicals/water is boiling...that doesn't even address the caustic effect of having drano or toilet bowl cleaner being thrown at you, getting in your eyes, etc.

I am not suggesting throwing the key away or ruining her life, but some jail time--short because no one was harm--and some major community service AND going door to door in that neighbourhood and apologizing for risking people's lives and property should be required, imo.

And perhaps she should make an education video where she gets to have makeup put on her that mimics what happens when lye is throw at you to show in schools and such would be a good idea.

One of the bottles (or more) was apparently thrown at the exgirlfriend's house of the guy she was with. Sounds like malice to me.

http://www.upi.com/O...83621375739962/

And she should either give back the $2000 for the pageant she won or donate it to a victims' group.

You missed your calling out there. The call for a good judge. ;) Edit to Add: a different smiley, a serious one. :)

Archived