Official Statement On Mainland China

cdowis

During stake conference, the stake president said that the church has responded to the rumors that missionaries will be sent to mainland China.

The church said that these rumors are untrue, and any change in missionary policy will be done "by the front door". All such rumors should cease immediately.

The president then gave a hint on the source for these rumors. Year ago he got an email regarding some "exciting news" about the church. He then went directly to someone employed with the church and asked about it. They then did research and discovered that the source of the information was an antimormon group in California.

Clearly such rumors are designed to embarrass and discredit the church as members spread these false rumors.

As the stake president said, STOP IT.

During stake conference, the stake president said that the church has responded to the rumors that missionaries will be sent to mainland China.

The church said that these rumors are untrue, and any change in missionary policy will be done "by the front door". All such rumors should cease immediately.

The president then gave a hint on the source for these rumors. Year ago he got an email regarding some "exciting news" about the church. He then went directly to someone employed with the church and asked about it. They then did research and discovered that the source of the information was an antimormon group in California.

Clearly such rumors are designed to embarrass and discredit the church as members spread these false rumors.

As the stake president said, STOP IT.

I hope we get in the front door someday.

What I do know and I heard it read from the Bishop today is a statement about people going to China. We have a Chinese national investigating the Church and he will probably go back to China so the Bishop, from Hong Kong, read to our ward council a 9? point document about what to do about being a Mormon living in China. You can bring church materials into the country but you can't mail stuff in, give stuff out, you have to contact an Elder there and this elder will tell you more about what to do.

I heard the China rumor over a decade ago

Yep. About a week or so before conference people were getting an email about a someone who was recently called as a missionary, but not told which mission. (in some versions, the prophet himself called the young man on the phone.)

"Just listen to General Conference and you will find out where you will be going." (nudge, nudge). This story was related here on this forum and several responded, "Can't wait to listen to conference to see if it is true".

I understand that in the current version has a stake president making an official announcement in his stake conference. Our stake president was just shaking his head over this story.

I hope we get in the front door someday.

Hey, I remember people saying that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints wouldn't get into East Germany in my lifetime. Not only did it happen in my lifetime, it happened when I was young. As hard as it might be to imagine the Church getting into China, never say never. There is a far larger representation among the Brethren of people from Asia. I would assume that this includes China, as well, at least Hong Kong. I'm not sure the full extent of the Church's dealings with East Germany became known until Thomas S. Monson's biography was published. It wouldn't surprise me if similar things were going on underneath the radar between the Church and Chinese leaders.

Yep. About a week or so before conference people were getting an email about a someone who was recently called as a missionary, but not told which mission. (in some versions, the prophet himself called the young man on the phone.)

"Just listen to General Conference and you will find out where you will be going." (nudge, nudge). This story was related here on this forum and several responded, "Can't wait to listen to conference to see if it is true".

Heard this first in 1998. I was tol pd by someone who was the friend of a nephew of a Seventy so it must have been true.

I heard that there's this african prince who has been abducted, and that if we use some of the Church funds to help pay his ransom he will gladly open up his country to the missionaries for the preaching of the gospel.

He just needs us to take the money to a western union in order to begin the transfer, then, once he is released, he will begin the process of extending visas.

At least that's what the email told me.

Archived