The “Mormon Moment” Yields... Not So Much

Sky

Read here.

It's discouraging to see that public understanding of Mormonism is so little changed, especially how almost 50% of people know "little to nothing" about our faith. Was the "I'm a Mormon" campaign all for naught? Is our faith really so hard to understand, or do people just not care very much? How much of a factor is critical information on the internet? And we continue to be caricatured or lampooned (i.e. The Book of Mormon musical). I would have hoped for something better, but we are still a young faith, and that probably plays a factor in it, too. Thoughts?

Sky -- I'm not a Mormon, but I have learned about and respected the religion. People should learn about other people's religious beliefs and philosophies.

But lets face it. Most people are dumb as a sack of doorknobs, particularly when it comes to anything philisophical, historical, or religious.

If Mitt Romney's candidacy is the "Mormon Moment," that is trully a sad footnote to John Q. Public's general unwillingness to look beyond what is directly in front of him.

Our mission has been doing alot of baptisms over the past couple of years, and will be doubling the number of missionaries in a few months -- two sets of missionaries per ward. The Mormon Moment has indeed only just begun.

We are quickly becoming a BOM society, with a sharp division among the people approaching. It will no longer be possible to be neutral. Regardless of how much people know about the Mormons, they will have an opinion.

Our mission has been doing alot of baptisms over the past couple of years, and will be doubling the number of missionaries in a few months -- two sets of missionaries per ward. The Mormon Moment has indeed only just begun.

We are quickly becoming a BOM society, with a sharp division among the people approaching. It will no longer be possible to be neutral. Regardless of how much people know about the Mormons, they will have an opinion.

it's now the Mormon Momentum!

Read here.

It's discouraging to see that public understanding of Mormonism is so little changed, especially how almost 50% of people know "little to nothing" about our faith. Was the "I'm a Mormon" campaign all for naught? Is our faith really so hard to understand, or do people just not care very much? How much of a factor is critical information on the internet? And we continue to be caricatured or lampooned (i.e. The Book of Mormon musical). I would have hoped for something better, but we are still a young faith, and that probably plays a factor in it, too. Thoughts?

I don't think it's because Mormonism is particularly hard to understand, and it's obviously not because Mormons are tight lipped about what they believe! ;) Rather, I think it's because people don't feel a need to learn about Mormonism, any more than most people feel a need to learn about Wicca, or even Catholicism. They have jobs, families to raise, bills to pay, lives to live, and learning about somebody else's religion is not high on their list of priorities.

Read here.

We are odd...we find other's beliefs interesting, most do not.

Read here.

In one sense, the biggest beneficiaries of the “Mormon moment” were evangelical Christians. Many of those who were initially against having a “non-Christian cultist”as president were able to overcome their prejudice and vote for Romney anyway. Of course, this doesn’t necessarily mean that they no longer believe that Mormon Church is a “non-Christian cult.” It does mean that they came to terms with the fact that they were not voting for “pastor-in-chief” and that a Romney presidency would not have been controlled by the LDS church. They were also able to put aside their concerns that simply having a Mormon president would have indirectly promoted the growth of the LDS Church. They simply voted for the candidate whom they felt would be a better president, even if doing so might accelerate LDS church growth.

That’s significant personal growth in my book, and IMO, the Evangelical Christian community is stronger for it.

Ironically, I had the opposite problem. As a Mormon, I had to overcome my concern that having any Mormon president at this time would be bad for the Church and hurt church growth -- at least, in the short term. As I mentioned several times previously, I was worried that the Church (especially its missionaries) would be a soft target for terrorists who were frustrated in their attempts to directly “get back” at this country and its Mormon president.

Read here.

The message will get out to those who will listen...the pure in heart.

Archived