cursor Posted August 19, 2012 Posted August 19, 2012 The Doctrine & Covenants, section 89 offers what it I consider to be a myopic (if not seriously misguided) prescription for longevity and quality health. What are the elements of responsible diet and physical investment that truly contribute toward said goal(s)?
Carborendum Posted August 19, 2012 Posted August 19, 2012 Well it obviously states that if we do nothing but suck on cheerios for nourishment and maybe take a vitamin once in a while, we will live forever. In fact, it has been theorized by some that Cheerios are made from the fruit that was very similar to the tree of life. Therefore, if we eat of the fruit of that tree, we can avoid all manner of diseases, aging, and even heal from life-threatening injuries. Maybe General Mills (is that who makes it?) could start an ad campaign based on this.If you honestly only see a myopic and misguided prescription for longevity and health, you are missing quite a bit.
cursor Posted August 19, 2012 Author Posted August 19, 2012 (edited) ... Edited August 19, 2012 by cursor
cursor Posted August 19, 2012 Author Posted August 19, 2012 It you want to get serious Carborendum, I'd be happy to engage (on a much more serious level)
cursor Posted August 19, 2012 Author Posted August 19, 2012 eating shredded wheat unfrosted. Surely, you can offer more.
DBMormon Posted August 19, 2012 Posted August 19, 2012 (edited) Surely, you can offer more.using low fat milk on the unfrosted shredded wheat????? Edited August 19, 2012 by DBMormon
cursor Posted August 19, 2012 Author Posted August 19, 2012 (edited) or ... more?is it in fact the "fat" in the dairy product that might be contributing to ill health?What are the real dietary health issues? Edited August 19, 2012 by cursor
mapman Posted August 19, 2012 Posted August 19, 2012 As far as I can tell there isn't any consensus about this as you constantly get mixed messages. So what I do is follow to rules I came up with: eat foods that our bodies are adapted to eat (this would include cooked foods and means that I avoid eating too much processed food) and I eat food that I'm hungry for that doesn't break the first rule. This might not be the best way to live the longest, but I feel healthy. I think that the Word of Wisdom works well with this.Another thing that I've thought about is that the word of wisdom might not be just suggestions for having better health for individuals, but also the health of communities and humanity as a whole. We depend so much on grains not because they are the most nutritional things we can eat, but because it can be harvested in vast amounts with relatively fewer resources. Having a more balanced diet would probably mean eating more meat and things. So perhaps we aren't supposed to eat too much meat so that we can sustain larger populations and use extra resources to help lift others out of poverty and undernourishment.These are just some thoughts I've had. I'm sure that there are people who know a lot more about the subject. 2
cursor Posted August 19, 2012 Author Posted August 19, 2012 Thanks for your significant personal perspective, mapman.
blackstrap Posted August 19, 2012 Posted August 19, 2012 It's easy.Eat whatever the latest research says is bad for you,and don't eat whatever the latest research says is good for you.
Maidservant Posted August 19, 2012 Posted August 19, 2012 Without taking away from its revelatory nature and its ability to have long-sightedly protect us over time against such ills as alcohol, I do think there is some element of the fact that Joseph Smith could only talk about, or Jesus could only talk with Joseph Smith about, things and ways of food that would be understandable to the people at that time.But what do you think is the problem with the nutrition in the Word of Wisdom?I actually think human diet should be based on vegetables, and that carbohydrates should be only a small amount (but not missing--very crucial, just not voluminous). I do think that the less meat we eat, the better (but not completely missing). So I would 'modify' the Word of Wisdom like that for myself, but I still experience that 'modification' as being made possible by the material in the Word of Wisdom, if that makes sense.
rpn Posted August 19, 2012 Posted August 19, 2012 Since the promise is to run and not be weary and to walk and not faint and to have the destroying angel pass by, what makes you think that the word of wisdom has ever been about nutrition? After all, the recent research in CA showed that it was the regular fasting that made the difference in LDS longevity and health, not the word of wisdom.
DH Posted August 19, 2012 Posted August 19, 2012 (edited) The Doctrine & Covenants, section 89 offers what it I consider to be a myopic (if not seriously misguided) prescription for longevity and quality health. What are the elements of responsible diet and physical investment that truly contribute toward said goal(s)?I'm not clear on how eating grains and vegetables, and reducing the amount of meat in our diet, are myopic or misguided. Isn't that pretty much what dieticians suggest?Granted, it doesn't specify whole grains, and doesn't go into detail about things like cholestorol or sodium intake, but I don't see the WoW as a bad general guide.I don't think it was originally intended as a commandment, or a measure of personal worthiness, though. And I'm not convinced that total abstention from coffee, tea, and alcohol was necessarily intended, either. But the current interpretation is the sort of thing that happens when legalism gains a foothold... Edited August 19, 2012 by DH 2
Maidservant Posted August 19, 2012 Posted August 19, 2012 I do agree that the coda is not a discussion of longevity, per se. It is a temple symbolism.
DH Posted August 19, 2012 Posted August 19, 2012 (edited) Since the promise is to run and not be weary and to walk and not faint and to have the destroying angel pass by, what makes you think that the word of wisdom has ever been about nutrition? After all, the recent research in CA showed that it was the regular fasting that made the difference in LDS longevity and health, not the word of wisdom.I'm not saying that the Word of Wisdom is only about nutrition, but to imply it's not about nutrition at all is bizarre. Good nutrition is conducive to good health, and good health increases people's energy and strength, and helps them live longer. That's not to say that other things, like fasting and exercise don't also contribute to good health, but to say that the promise to "run and not be weary and to walk and not faint" has nothing to do with nutrition seems nonsensical to me.Of course, not everyone who follows the WoW will enjoy good health, due to other factors besides nutrition, but as a general rule, I think it helps. Edited August 19, 2012 by DH
CV75 Posted August 19, 2012 Posted August 19, 2012 The Doctrine & Covenants, section 89 offers what it I consider to be a myopic (if not seriously misguided) prescription for longevity and quality health. What are the elements of responsible diet and physical investment that truly contribute toward said goal(s)?D&C 89.And spinach.
cursor Posted August 19, 2012 Author Posted August 19, 2012 The Doctrine & Covenants, section 89 offers what it I consider to be a myopic (if not seriously misguided) prescription for longevity and quality health. What are the elements of responsible diet and physical investment that truly contribute toward said goal(s)?What I mean is that emphasis is placed on some very specific foods (which really have little to do with quality health and longevity) while leaving out broad sectors of nutritional concerns that carry substantially greater weight.
KevinG Posted August 19, 2012 Posted August 19, 2012 The Word of Wisdom is not comprehensive in any way. It is a starting point and a minimum standard for the weakest of those who can be called Saints.I consider any new knowledge of healthy eating and exercise to be included in the spirit of the Word of Wisdom as long as it does not conflict with some of the basic dietary laws we are asked to obey.
thesometimesaint Posted August 19, 2012 Posted August 19, 2012 Eat a well balanced diet from many different sources. Focus on grains, and legumes for fuel and protein; veggies for vitamins, and minerals; and use meat sparingly more as a flavoring and supplement than main dish. Avoid tobacco, and drinking alcohol, and things you personally are allergic to. Dress warmly in cold weather. Pray always. You won't live forever, but it sure makes life more enjoyable while you are here.
Carborendum Posted August 19, 2012 Posted August 19, 2012 using low fat milk on the unfrosted shredded wheat?????HERETIC!!!We all know that it is Cheerios which are endorsed by the WoW. Woe unto any who eat the staleness of that wheat which is shredded. Yea, woe unto any who place sugar on their staff of life. For we know that it is the honey and nut that is ordained to sweeten the breaking of our fast--which ordaining is for the use of man. Not to be used in excess but in wisdom and knowledge with sound judgment.
Calm Posted August 19, 2012 Posted August 19, 2012 (edited) I think when it comes to actual health and nutrition, the WoW is trying to teach more of an attitude than specifics and using just a few specifics to start people off (for the weakest as referred to above). Edited August 19, 2012 by calmoriah 1
blackstrap Posted August 19, 2012 Posted August 19, 2012 How many decades did it take to get the members to embrace the " do nots " of the Word of Wisdom? It will probably take a couple more generations to get the members to embrace the " dos" completely, especially for the refreshments and dinners we provide . Meanwhile ,there is no prohibition in the WoW to seek wisdom in our choices of food.
Recommended Posts