Michael Medved: The Media Grudge Against Romney

Stargazer

Michael Medved states that it isn't so much conservation Christians who are really against Romney because of his religion, it's the Left in general, particularly the mainstream media and Hollyweird.

His column in The Daily Beast for 3/13/2012 covers this observation,

Even the most cursory examination of primary coverage by The New York Times demonstrates that the Journal of Record despises the GOP frontrunner to an unprecedented extent and tirelessly attempts to discredit him.

On March 10, a typical headline proclaimed: “On Romney Song List, Guys Win, 18 to 1.” The shocking report by Jon Pareles revealed the scandalous news that the 19 song playlist released by the Romney campaign included only one title by a female (Carrie Underwood’s “All-American Girl”) and two contributions by African-American artists (vintage numbers by Nat King Cole and the Commodores). The clear implication seemed to be that the Mittster’s deeply conservative taste in pop music revealed his sexist and racist outlook, especially since the playlist also featured two songs (count ’em—two!) by the Las Vegas band the Killers, whose lead singer has become a national spokesman for (wait for it) … the Mormon Church.

As if this expose didn’t count as damaging enough, a front-page story on the same day highlighted Romney’s allegedly geeky, cold, and off-putting personality. Under the headline “Legislators Recall a Governor Who Didn’t Mingle,” Michael Barbaro noted that “Mr. Romney’s “awkward style and aloof manner” spoiled his relationships with the members of the Massachusetts Legislature who found him “an emotionally remote figure who tended not to socialize—and because of his Mormon religion did not drink.” The lengthy report rehearses a long list of petty slights from a legislature that was at the time more than 85 percent Democratic, while noting that “two former Romney aides said they pushed their boss to extend himself more to lawmakers, sensing his style was counterproductive.”

and he addresses it in this brief excerpt from his radio show, broadcast on 3/22/2012:

"The people who really hate Mormons are the people on the Left, who basically don't like a Church that stands for something..."

And here I thought the Left loved us. Imagine that.

Edited to add: by the way, for interested persons, Medved's website is at: http://www.michaelmedved.com/ You can sign up as a Medhead there and be able to download the radio show -- for a small fee, unfortunately.

On March 10, a typical headline proclaimed: “On Romney Song List, Guys Win, 18 to 1.” The shocking report by Jon Pareles revealed the scandalous news that the 19 song playlist released by the Romney campaign included only one title by a female (Carrie Underwood’s “All-American Girl”) and two contributions by African-American artists (vintage numbers by Nat King Cole and the Commodores).

Failing to consult the Affirmative Action Commission regarding music choices? Now that's a dealbreaker! :huh::unsure: (The Commission has black-clad, jackbooted hit squads which zip-line from black helicopters through open windows of unsuspecting music listeners to conduct snap inspections of their music libraries to ensure compliance. It was a squeaker, but fortunately, I passed my last inspection. B:))

Hummm. I don't like Romney because he's a Mormon? What utter claptrap.

Despite what appears to be your personal politics, I don't think you are what Medved means by The Left.

You're simply nowhere near left enough.

Of course the Left doesn't like him. Of course they don't like him. He's more to the Right.

To prove that the Left has some kind of personal grudge Medved needs to establish that they are more opposed to Romney then Santorum. I doubt that is possible.

In his Daily Beast column Medved provides some evidence that the most vitriol of the mainstream media is directed specifically against Romney, and is more vitriolic than that directed against Santorum.

You don't have to agree with Medved, but as a Jew, another group that experiences some degree of special attention from certain quarters, perhaps he recognizes the special attention against Romney better than you.

Despite what appears to be your personal politics, I don't think you are what Medved means by The Left.

And besides, you're a Mormon.

"The people who really hate Mormons are the people on the Left, who basically don't like a Church that stands for something..."

And here I thought the Left loved us. Imagine that.

-

Who is the left? And who is there official spokesman? And what are the set in stone tenants of the left?

And sabotage gets to decide who is "left"? I am sure a vast majority of people are lefties to those who claim to be "true conservatives". So the use of meaningless labels does not help the reader.

In his Daily Beast column Medved provides some evidence that the most vitriol of the mainstream media is directed specifically against Romney, and is more vitriolic than that directed against Santorum.

You don't have to agree with Medved, but as a Jew, another group that experiences some degree of special attention from certain quarters, perhaps he recognizes the special attention against Romney better than you.

His 'evidence' consists of a few handpicked quotes.

I also don't think the Left wanting Santorum to win because he has little chance of success in the general election (which is his point in the column) is in any way comparable to anti-Semitism. I wanted Hillary to win the Democratic Primary a few years back because I thought she had no chance of winning. This is not akin in any way to hating a particular religion.

Who is the left?

A hivemind controlled by the reptilians of Beta Centauri.

And who is there official spokesman?

Satan.

And what are the set in stone tenants of the left?

Destroying marriage, institution of Islamic Sharia law, creation of a one-world government, atheism becoming the mandatory religions, a total welfare state, and the complete destruction of capitalism.

A hivemind controlled by the reptilians of Beta Centauri.

Satan.

Destroying marriage, institution of Islamic Sharia law, creation of a one-world government, atheism becoming the mandatory religions, a total welfare state, and the complete destruction of capitalism.

CFR to all your claims. And while you at it, don't forget Christ will reign over the ..... Sounds pretty one world government.

What you fail to see and willfully ignore is the stupidity is trying to use labels to define everyone you do not agree with.

"The mormons are racist, particularly Arizona mormons, my proof is that of all the majority of missionaries on my.mission that came from Arizona were racist."

So looks like I just proved all mormons are racist because the actions of a few

Some people are sarcasm challenged. :D

And sometimes, a sarchasm is occurs, which is that interpersonal gulf which is created between two people by one's use of sarcasm. :) (Hopefully, despite our disagreements, there are no sarcasm sarchasms here. ;))

This is ancectdotal, not statistical evidence, but on another forum I frequent, they had to create a seperate political forum to accomodate all the political vitriol being spewed on the main forum-which has to do with backpacking, of all things. Well, trust me, that board is dominated by hard core lefties, and along with proclaiming Obama as messiah and Bush as the worst president ever, they start anti-LDS threads on a regular basis. It's usually about gays, but threads have covered what a horrible place Utah is to live because of the religous oppression, various anti-Romney threads, and once one about Kolob(!). If that group is representative, it's safe to say that the left's attitude towards the church is disdain-on a good day.

His 'evidence' consists of a few handpicked quotes.

I also don't think the Left wanting Santorum to win because he has little chance of success in the general election (which is his point in the column) is in any way comparable to anti-Semitism. I wanted Hillary to win the Democratic Primary a few years back because I thought she had no chance of winning. This is not akin in any way to hating a particular religion.

I'm unsure of his statistical selection model, but in his position he is well-placed to hear a lot of things that you, perhaps, don't. If he heard a hundred things, and selected, say, five of them to comment on, then why should you assume that his selection constitutes the sum total?

What is being said here is not that the Left is sort-of OK with Santorum or Gingrich, just not Romney, and that because of his religion, it is that they are against all of them, but they reserve particular negativity towards Romney, and that because of his religion.

As to frankenstein having a hard time identifying who the Left is, perhaps he can open his ears and listen for the cacophany of media talking heads who cannot say one positive thing about conservatism, and who regularly defame and deride anything connected with free enterprise, inclduing capitalism. That's the Left.

And the most vitriolic members of the Left really hate religion in general, Christianity in particular, and really lose it when it comes to Mormonism. When it comes to "by their fruits ye shall know them," you can tell who the Left are by what they say and how they say it.

True enough. Sometimes may be left, but not left enough to be dangerous. :)

Stargazer:

That was a lot of overly broad generalizations about the Left. I can't think of a single person on the Left who doesn't like a paycheck. From my perspective it is not Capitalism persay that is the problem but Preditory Capitalism as exemplified by Romneys' Bain Capital that is the problem.

Ps. Apparantly the voters of Louisiana think the same. "Early exit polls Saturday night showed Romney losing by near-double digits overall. But it also showed him losing basically every demographic group in the state, with one notable exception: voters making more than $200,000 per year".

Archived