Craig Paxton Posted March 22, 2012 Posted March 22, 2012 I'm a non-believer of Mormon truth claims...but I respect those of you who maintain the ability to do so. I've observed since first discovering this board, that the same posters (on both sides of any question) keep posting the same old rehashed arguments over and over and over again....to the same old retreaded threads. (and I'm not counting myself out of any guilt) But I am curious, have any of these arguments ever convinced someone from the oposite camp to switch sides and either become a believer or a non-believer...or is posting here just a place to waist our time? 1
Mola Ram Suda Ram Posted March 22, 2012 Posted March 22, 2012 I'm a non-believer of Mormon truth claims...but I respect those of you who maintain the ability to do so. I've observed since first discovering this board, that the same posters (on both sides of any question) keep posting the same old rehashed arguments over and over and over again....to the same old retreaded threads. (and I'm not counting myself out of any guilt) But I am curious, have any of these arguments ever convinced someone from the oposite camp to switch sides and either become a believer or a non-believer...or is posting here just a place to waist our time?You mean, like, how tithing money was used to fund City Creek? Those kind of arguments?
mercyngrace Posted March 22, 2012 Posted March 22, 2012 Some have left and some have returned and some have converted.I doubt it was a matter of the arguments on the board that made change compelling. It was probably more a matter of individual study, inclination, choice or what have you. Making serious choices based solely on internet message board chatter would be myopic. This is such a small piece of a huge puzzle.
Sky Posted March 22, 2012 Posted March 22, 2012 I'm a non-believer of Mormon truth claims...but I respect those of you who maintain the ability to do so. I've observed since first discovering this board, that the same posters (on both sides of any question) keep posting the same old rehashed arguments over and over and over again....to the same old retreaded threads. (and I'm not counting myself out of any guilt) But I am curious, have any of these arguments ever convinced someone from the oposite camp to switch sides and either become a believer or a non-believer...or is posting here just a place to waist our time?I think you mean “waste” our time, right? I think spending time on any message board has the potential to be a time waster. But we are the ones who have to make it worthwhile. I'm still a believer, but posting here has definitely made me think more deeply about why I believe. As I learn new information, I reevaluate what I previously knew and where I stand. I’ve learned a lot here. But I think I will always be a believer. I will admit that both sides have some pretty compelling arguments, in my opinion. In the end, I think it comes down to what we choose to believe. I don’t have all of the answers, but I am secure enough in my faith that I am satisfied with the answers that I do have. Mormonism just feels right to me.Oh and one more thing...I enjoy certain posters from both sides. And certain ones from both sides tend to irritate me, without naming any names!!!
CV75 Posted March 23, 2012 Posted March 23, 2012 (edited) I'm a non-believer of Mormon truth claims...but I respect those of you who maintain the ability to do so. I've observed since first discovering this board, that the same posters (on both sides of any question) keep posting the same old rehashed arguments over and over and over again....to the same old retreaded threads. (and I'm not counting myself out of any guilt) But I am curious, have any of these arguments ever convinced someone from the oposite camp to switch sides and either become a believer or a non-believer...or is posting here just a place to waist our time?Conversations on this board have supplemented my personal study and I have benfited thereby. One area where I have "switched sides" is from being inclned to view certain elements of Darwinian evolution as part of God's plan to view those same elements in terms of First Presidency statements against them. Also switching from a position where "all things are matter" to "all things we may call material or immaterial are most fundamentally the same thing (matter of some sort)." Edited March 23, 2012 by CV75
Jeff K. Posted March 23, 2012 Posted March 23, 2012 I do not believe anyone can truly be converted based on intellectual arguments or historical arguments. It is only by the spirit that such things occur and as such only those who wish to hear the spirit will respond.
Kenngo1969 Posted March 23, 2012 Posted March 23, 2012 ... Oh and one more thing...I enjoy certain posters from both sides. And certain ones from both sides tend to irritate me, without naming any names!!!Sorry!
Kenngo1969 Posted March 23, 2012 Posted March 23, 2012 Why would you expect someone to stick around under those circumstances. If the Board serves its purpose for someone ... If s/he has questions answered or a testimony strengthened ... is it possible somebody might simply bow out and move on? I remember one formerly-skeptical poster whose last post (I believe it was on one of the predecessors to this Board) announced his change of heart, and that was the last we heard of him. While I miss his continued contribution, I'm happy the Board served its purpose for him.
Mansquatch Posted March 23, 2012 Posted March 23, 2012 I was converted to global flood belief. But then again the local arguments were good...make that local...er..global...er...wait...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!!!Nevermind. Nope. No converts.
Buzzard Posted March 23, 2012 Posted March 23, 2012 This might seem like a dichotomy, but 1-my views are expressed sincerely, 2-I have been elucidated by minds much sharper than mine, but 3-for the most part, any internet board is mainly for entertainment purposes. I usually am amazed by the logical bullseyes of apologists, but harbor a sneaking suspicion that those of the opposite point of view read the same post and are quite satisfied that they put those Mormons in their place.
LDSToronto Posted March 23, 2012 Posted March 23, 2012 As a believer, I was turned off by the 'logic' and arguments that other believers used, and I was really turned off by the behaviour of some who call themselves LDS on this board. As a result, I went elsewhere to find answers, and the void was filled, and I left the church.H. 1
Jeff K. Posted March 23, 2012 Posted March 23, 2012 Given how you exercise logic, one presumes that your interpretation is rather unique to who you are.
Sky Posted March 23, 2012 Posted March 23, 2012 As a believer, I was turned off by the 'logic' and arguments that other believers used, and I was really turned off by the behaviour of some who call themselves LDS on this board. As a result, I went elsewhere to find answers, and the void was filled, and I left the church.H.As a believer, what arguments or approach would you have used that you think would be better alternatives to the arguments of other believers?And believers certainly don't have a corner on the market when it comes to bad behavior.
Log Posted March 23, 2012 Posted March 23, 2012 (edited) Yes, posting here is a waste of time.Maybe. Didn't Cinepro used to be an outright antagonist?OTOH, didn't Kevin used to be a believer?I personally have had deeply entrenched views overturned by sufficiently powerful arguments, so who knows? Edited March 23, 2012 by Log
jskains Posted March 23, 2012 Posted March 23, 2012 As a believer, I was turned off by the 'logic' and arguments that other believers used, and I was really turned off by the behaviour of some who call themselves LDS on this board. As a result, I went elsewhere to find answers, and the void was filled, and I left the church.H.So you left cause of some anonymous internet users? Really?That's rather sad.JMS
Storm Rider Posted March 23, 2012 Posted March 23, 2012 To me the board serves on many levels. However, I thresh what I read here and find peals of great wisdom that help me understand better and to live and serve as a better disciple of Jesus Christ. That threshing part is rather significant though. Some of the inane comments and discussions are just overlooked. I am looking for truths and little else.
zerinus Posted March 23, 2012 Posted March 23, 2012 I'm a non-believer of Mormon truth claims...but I respect those of you who maintain the ability to do so. I've observed since first discovering this board, that the same posters (on both sides of any question) keep posting the same old rehashed arguments over and over and over again....to the same old retreaded threads. (and I'm not counting myself out of any guilt) But I am curious, have any of these arguments ever convinced someone from the oposite camp to switch sides and either become a believer or a non-believer...or is posting here just a place to waist our time?That is a question that each must answer for him/herself. You obviously shouldn't post if you think it is a waste of time. I obviously post because I don't believe it is a waste of time.
LDSToronto Posted March 23, 2012 Posted March 23, 2012 So you left cause of some anonymous internet users? Really?That's rather sad.JMSI didn't say that. H.
zerinus Posted March 23, 2012 Posted March 23, 2012 As a believer, I was turned off by the 'logic' and arguments that other believers used, and I was really turned off by the behaviour of some who call themselves LDS on this board. As a result, I went elsewhere to find answers, and the void was filled, and I left the church.H.So where was that "elsewhere"? Why don't you share it with us? Others might be interested as well, you never know.
zerinus Posted March 23, 2012 Posted March 23, 2012 So you left cause of some anonymous internet users? Really?I doubt it. He just developed a faulty algorithm in his brain I am sure!
LDSToronto Posted March 23, 2012 Posted March 23, 2012 So where was that "elsewhere"? Why don't you share it with us? Others might be interested as well, you never know.Books and articles and other people.H.
zerinus Posted March 23, 2012 Posted March 23, 2012 Books and articles and other people.H.So you left the Church in favor of books, articles, and other people? Why can't you have books, articles, other people, and the Church at the same time? I wasn't aware that one needed to leave the Church in order to find books, articles, and other people. 1
robuchan Posted March 23, 2012 Posted March 23, 2012 I'm a non-believer of Mormon truth claims...but I respect those of you who maintain the ability to do so. I've observed since first discovering this board, that the same posters (on both sides of any question) keep posting the same old rehashed arguments over and over and over again....to the same old retreaded threads. (and I'm not counting myself out of any guilt) But I am curious, have any of these arguments ever convinced someone from the oposite camp to switch sides and either become a believer or a non-believer...or is posting here just a place to waist our time?I started my quest with Mormon apologetics as a believer. I spent some time here on this site as a lurker as a believer. Didn't sign up and start posting until I was already on the dark side.
Senator Posted March 23, 2012 Posted March 23, 2012 I might be considered one who has changed sides. But that needs explanation.No, I have not left the church, nor do I ever plan or even want to leave it. I however, have had a considerable shift in my understanding in relation to the nature of the faith and religion I was raised with.A paradigm shift would be an apt discription, and I do attribute much of it to my time spent here as well as other places outside the corridor of church correlated materials.
Recommended Posts