New Poll Of Mormons From Pew Forum

Nofear

The only statistic that jumped off the page for me was that only 73% of church members polled think helping the poor is essential to being Mormon. Appparently, we need to spend some more time reading Matthew 25 and Mosiah 4 in church.

It is possible they are interpreting it as those who are not able to work with the poor for no fault of their own won't be penalized...

Here is the question and breakdown from the full report:

Working to help the poor and needy

Mormons Oct 25-Nov 16, 2011

73 Essential

24 Important but not essential

2 Not too important

* Not at all important

* (DO NOT READ) Don’t know/refused

I doubt it was interpreted that way due to the "again and again" as we are only resurrected once. At best, it could be a huge misunderstanding about what reincarnation means thinking that the "reborn" applies to spiritual rebirth and not physical. If so, we have a lot of uneducated LDS in the fold.

g. in reincarnation, that people will be reborn in this world again and again, or not?

Mormons Oct 25-Nov 16, 2011

11 Yes

87 No

2 (DO NOT READ) Don't know/Refused

General Public Aug 20-27, 200912

24 Yes

69 No

6 (DO NOT READ) Don't know/Refused

For example, roughly one-in-ten white evangelicals believes in reincarnation, compared with 24% among mainline Protestants, 25% among both white Catholics and those unaffiliated with any religion, and 29% among black Protestants.
So LDS rate the same along with Evangelicals in their belief of reincarnation and a quarter of white Catholics believe in it and a third of black Protestants?

Seems to me this is a question that needs further exploration as to how they understood the question.

http://www.pewforum.org/other-beliefs-and-practices/many-americans-mix-multiple-faiths.aspx

I'm shocked by the family statistics. Only 50% of the general public thinks that being a good parent is one of the most important things in life?! Only 34% think a sucessful marriage is one of the most important things? WOW.

Do they think this becasue so many of them are failures in family or are they failures in family becasue they think this? I'm dumbfounded.

As for polygamy itself, 86 percent of Mormons soundly condemn the practice as “morally wrong,” higher than the 79 percent who decry sex between unmarried adults.

I found this to be quite interesting. Any thoughts?

OK , as for reincarnation, what harm is done say if a person in India returns several times to live again. That person likely has had no involvement with the gospel whatsoever. I personally would have something to say if I was to return as a different life form, but I can conceive of many scenarios where a person could "choose" to return,or be allowed to if certain parameters are fulfilled or not fulfilled as needed. Having done some reading on the cases seen in some countries,I must admit to having at least as much acceptance of the idea under certain circumstances as I do of the existence of Bigfoot.

Makes you wonder about the rest of the survey.

It doesn't say if the "mormons" that took the survey are "active", "inactive", "jack", born into, or converts…. and what religion they came from. Knowing how they view themselves AS a mormon makes a difference, as does their history. After spending many years in an Episcopal church, I catch myself all the time stopping myself from blessing myself with the sign of the cross…some things just stick with you. I just ran across this report. I cant wait to read it. Has anyone read the entire thing? (All 125 pages?) If so, has anything really jumped out for others??

The only statistic that jumped off the page for me was that only 73% of church members polled think helping the poor is essential to being Mormon. Appparently, we need to spend some more time reading Matthew 25 and Mosiah 4 in church.

It does boggle the mind doesn't it.

Archived