What Do You Think About Paul H Dunn

bluebell

This is Bluebell's husband

I'm writing a talk for tommorrow on perseverance.

I found a talk by Elder Paul H Dunn that goes well with my plan of attack. Its called "Press Forward" from the 1980 August New Era.

I know Elder Dunn has been accused of a bit of embelishment. Do you think using one of his talks is a bad idea. He didn't seem to interject any "personal" experiences into the message though, just some quotes from a book.

I'm going to use a few quotes from the talk with some scriptures i have found, and personal experience.

Thanks

Paul Dunn's talks were always uplifting even if he was embellishing his stories. I think you can use the spiritual messages without the stories.

I must make a confession and I know that it will come to a shock for many of you, it did to my children....I tend to embellish stories just a little bit more with each retelling. I got good practice when I use to do a lot of fishing.

I love PHD and I really enjoy his stories, embellished or not.

4f254a17-9640-45e5-9cf1-03afc72d4d8b.gif

i'm not going to use any of his stories. just some references he used in the early 80's. it was a pretty good talk.

thanks.

going to go and finish this talk.

I must make a confession and I know that it will come to a shock for many of you, it did to my children....I tend to embellish stories just a little bit more with each retelling. I got good practice when I use to do a lot of fishing.

I love PHD and I really enjoy his stories, embellished or not.

4f254a17-9640-45e5-9cf1-03afc72d4d8b.gif

I found a talk by Elder Paul H Dunn that goes well with my plan of attack. Its called "Press Forward" from the 1980 August New Era.

I know Elder Dunn has been accused of a bit of embelishment. Do you think using one of his talks is a bad idea. He didn't seem to interject any "personal" experiences into the message though, just some quotes from a book.

I'm going to use a few quotes from the talk with some scriptures i have found, and personal experience.

Thanks

go for it! I think he did embellish his war and baseball stuff but other then that the world is your oyster! He came here in 1982 and my Mom still remembers everything, seemingly, he said and it wasn't about war or baseball

I must make a confession and I know that it will come to a shock for many of you, it did to my children....I tend to embellish stories just a little bit more with each retelling.

A wonderful whimsical movie

What is truth?

A wonderful whimsical movie

What is truth?

Oh Say, What is Truth?

Sorry. Couldn't resist. Carry on! :)

P.S.: Urroner, when do you think that dog's gonna turn around and kill that cat with one swipe? I've been watching that cat scratch the bejeebers out of that dog's ear for 20 minutes now, and I've never known even the most patient of dogs to take such stuff for very long! ;)

Edited by Kenngo1969

Sorry. Couldn't resist. Carry on! :)

What's fascinating about the movie is that all the characters he talked about were real, just the settings were exaggerated. And as the son found out these people all loved his dad. That was probably the truth of the stories. :P

...I know Elder Dunn has been accused of a bit of embelishment. Do you think using one of his talks is a bad idea. ...

A lot of people find humor in Paul H. Dunn's weaknesses.

Richard

Let them mock on their own sites. We don't need to spread their contention here. (Link Removed) -Ares

Thanks

I would not quote him in church, but that's just me. :) I don't think he was a bad person, but I think what he did was bad, and I don't liken it to "Big Fish" (which I agree was a delightful story) or parables.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with Deborah, I think he had a lot of good insight and a way of teaching that appealed to many so there's no reason to feel you can't quote him, but I wouldn't use his stories since some were discredited or questioned.

Sometimes embellishment is excused if it is being used in the side of Righteousness. I think he was a tremendous man with great experiences and I didn't care if a bomb went off next to him or 20 feet away from him, he was a wonderful and righteous orator!

Thanks

I had a blessing at his hands once, he is was a very dynamic individual. I knew of some embellishment as to some stories or books he wrote. I am going to a friend’s house today to look at something, he served as an Assistant to (at that time) President Dunn, who was his Mission President. I used to love reading his books, I would see if the story that you’re using was not embellished.

Paul Dunn turned out to be one who lied for financial gain. He should have been kicked out rather than moved to 'emeritus' status.

He never gave back any of the money he got from his lies. The reporter who discovered them and wrote about it was ostracized and punished for telling the truth. Dunn was not.

He did not tell "parables" as he tried to use to excuse things, he was a liar.

Worst of all many of the Brethren apparently knew of it and nothing was done until he became a public embarassment.

Many honest men have held positions of leadership. Talk about and quote them instead.

Somebody has a huge chip on their shoulder.

What is the worst thing that can happen to someone in church? To have their affirmation of a religious experience questioned by other members. To be known as false, and therefore to have nothing to share. I can't think of a worse punishment.

CFR that the brethern knew it all along? Seems to me you don't like Dunn, you don't like the brethern and you don't like most things. Could it be that you just don't like the church?

Paul Dunn turned out to be one who lied for financial gain. He should have been kicked out rather than moved to 'emeritus' status.

He never gave back any of the money he got from his lies. The reporter who discovered them and wrote about it was ostracized and punished for telling the truth. Dunn was not.

Worst of all many of the Brethren apparently knew of it and nothing was done until he became a public embarassment.

Many honest men have held positions of leadership. Talk about and quote them instead.

I know someone who knows him quite well (for 30 years now and his mother) who is friends. I have never known my friend to lie about anything (if anything he is brutally honest). So I ask for a CFR on your comments; you may know something I don’t. He served the church well; I have had his hands laid on me for a blessing, (and incredible one) which saved my life when I was very sick. When Christ gave parables, was it for financial gain? Other than one thing I do not understand why he did concerning a story, I know of no others; or is this personal? I see you have 6 posts so I can tell you feel strongly about this, seeing how this is what cased you to chime in…so what do you now? I think the letter he wrote was to protect the church he loved. Had it been as you describe, I have no doubt stronger measures would have been taken by the Church in order to protect it’s members.

You may be right. I don't know but you have leveled some very serious charges that need some substantiation. If you are going to continue to stand by them then please verify them. CFR