Do you think natural disasters are increasing in frequency?

zerinus

In a revelation to the Church the Lord has said:

D&C 88
:

88 And after your testimony cometh wrath and indignation upon the people.

89 For after your testimony cometh the testimony of earthquakes, that shall cause groanings in the midst of her, and men shall fall upon the ground and shall not be able to stand.

90 And also cometh the testimony of the voice of thunderings, and the voice of lightnings, and the voice of tempests, and the voice of the waves of the sea heaving themselves beyond their bounds.

91 And all things shall be in commotion; and surely, men's hearts shall fail them; for fear shall come upon all people.

Could it be that those days are upon us, and the predictions are coming to pass?

No, I don't think they are increasing in frequency.

What is certainly happening, in fact has already happened, is now we hear of more natural disasters, and news of more events of less significance than ever before are freely available. But this greater availability of news of natural disasters seems to have been prophesied by the Lord:

5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.

7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.

8 All these are the beginning of sorrows.

Whether this means an actual increase in natural disasters, or a perceived increase due to universal access to news, I don't know.

But it seems certain that there will be a time of great disaster before the Lord comes in glory. It is certain that we have not yet arrived at that day.

If you go to the US Geological Survey site you can find many charts and stats about the state of earthquakes ,floods,etc. worldwide. From my reading there does not seem to be a marked trend toward increases but there is a bit of increase in the larger events.I haven't studied it for several years though.

If you go to the US Geological Survey site you can find many charts and stats about the state of earthquakes ,floods,etc. worldwide. From my reading there does not seem to be a marked trend toward increases but there is a bit of increase in the larger events.I haven't studied it for several years though.

Here is the latest volcanic eruption in Hawaii. It occurred after I wrote that post, or as I was writing it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12662036

They seem to be ongoing. When one thing stops in one place, something else seems to start somewhere else.

D&C 88
:

89 For after your testimony cometh the testimony of earthquakes, that shall cause groanings in the midst of her, and men shall fall upon the ground and shall not be able to stand.

90 And also cometh the testimony of the voice of thunderings, and the voice of lightnings, and the voice of tempests, and the voice of the waves of the sea heaving themselves beyond their bounds.

91 And all things shall be in commotion; and surely, men's hearts shall fail them; for fear shall come upon all people.

Could it be that those days are upon us, and the predictions are coming to pass?

It says that these things will come after testimony is rejected, as signs of wrath and indignation, and will be received with commotion and failing hearts by those who are unprepared to face such trials because they rejected the testimony. Those who receive the testimony are the faithful who are prepared and they will not be in commotion or fear (no small advantage).

As the Church expands, it is better able to prepare, rescue and relieve people from suffering. Hopefully this might help those who were formerly in commotion and with failing hearts develop some faith in the testimony. But the saints who are in a position to help are obviously not in commotion and suffering failing hearts. I think "heart" is figurative as well as literal.

As the Church expands and the testimony is sent forth, the frequency with which those who reject it and react negatively to disaster is bound to increase. Mass communication compounds the reach of the testimony and the disasters with the attendant responses from the faithful and the unbelieving.

Definitely the Church's message and news of disaster are on the increase, and so would be the acceptance or rejection of testimony (both in the form of the ministry and disaster) and the attendant commotion and failing hearts or preparation and spiritual power.

My personal hunch is that natural disasters and the negative impact of such on modern societies are on the rise.

D&C 88
:

What timeframe compared to what timeframe? In order to determine an "increase in frequency", we have to have a baseline to judge against. What is the baseline?

And, as others have mentioned, our ability to detect and report natural disasters has increased in efficiency, and as the human population grows, a natural event similar to one from 500 years ago may effect many more people. Are we judging these with an objective reference (so a 9.0 earthquake in the middle of siberia is the same as a 9.0 earthquake that kills a million people in Tokyo), or just based on how it effects human life?

There is a perception that these things are increasing because the media makes us aware of them instantly and far more than before and with a greater view of the details, but I don't think they are increasing in reality. I don't accept the notion (doctrinal?) that more destructive and efficient weaponry counts much towards it either. I could be wrong of course.

The implication for me is that I expect the world to get much much worse before these things come to pass.

I don't think it's a coincidence at all. I'm almost certain the earthquakes were directly responsible for the tsunamis.

Let's add the massive amount of dead fish in Redondo Beach, CA this last Tuesday.

http://framework.latimes.com/2011/03/08/dead-fish/#/6

If we get a few more disasters in the next week or so, opinions on this question may change... :P

Every time there is a major disaster someone asks this question.

Answer: we are more aware of them and there are more developed areas that are affected; therefore even it they aren't on the increase it seems like they are.

According to statistics I saw today, the frequency of earthquakes has remained pretty consistent over the past century. As others have mentioned, modern technology brings earthquakes (and other disasters) boldly to our attention whereas an ancient or medieval European would have been completely ignorant of earthquakes in east Asia, the Pacific, or the Americas.

Can you imagine the "sky is falling" response if there were another Tunguska event, or another Krakatoa- or Vesuvius-magnitude volcanic eruption?

Nah, Krakatoa wouldn't be big enough for a sky is falling reaction, I think.... it'd have to be Tambora sized or even bigger. Krakatoa was quite big, but it didn't really inject enough ask into the atmosphere to create that sort of reaction by the world. It did create rather brilliant sunsets though.=)

Sorry, volcanoes are my obsession, couldn't help but say something... could not resist... nerp =P.

I guess a Krakatoa might do it... but it really depends on which way the force is directed out of the volcano... if the volcano collapses the way Karakatoa did, I'm not sure it would be quite as... season effecting... as Tambora was.

Best Wishes,

TAO

"Look!" said one. "The lights again! Last night the watchmen saw them start and fade from midnight until dawn. Something is happening up there."

"Perhaps the King under the Mountain is forging gold," said another. "It is long since he went north. It is time the songs began to prove themselves again."

"Which king?" said another with a grim voice. "As like as not it is the marauding fire of the Dragon, the only king under the Mountain we have ever known."

"You are always foreboding gloomy things!" said the others. "Anything from floods to poisoned fish. Think of something cheerful!"

Then suddenly a great light appeared in the low place in the hills and the northern end of the lake turned golden.

"The King beneath the Mountain!" they shouted. "His wealth is like the Sun, his silver like a fountain, his rivers golden run! The river is running gold from the Mountain!" they cried, and everywhere windows were opening and feet were hurrying.

There was once more a tremendous excitement and enthusiasm. But the grim-voiced fellow ran hotfoot to the Master. "The dragon is coming or I am a fool!" he cried. "Cut the bridges! To arms! To arms!"

Then warning trumpets were suddenly sounded, and echoed along the rocky shores. The cheering stopped and the joy was turned to dread. So it was that the dragon did not find them quite unprepared. Before long, so great was his speed, they could see him as a spark of fire rushing towards them and growing ever huger and more bright, and not the most foolish doubted that the prophecies had gone rather wrong. Still they had a little time. Every vessel in the town was filled with water, every warrior was armed, every arrow and dart was ready, and the bridge to the land was thrown down and destroyed, before the roar of Smaug's terrible approach grew loud, and the lake rippled red as fire beneath the awful beating of his wings.

The Hobbit or "There and Back again"

By J.R.R.Tolkien

Chapter 14

:P

Elder Oaks:

"These signs of the Second Coming are all around us and seem to be increasing in frequency and intensity. For example, the list of major earthquakes in The World Almanac and Book of Facts, 2004 shows twice as many earthquakes in the decades of the 1980s and 1990s as in the two preceding decades (pp. 189

Archived