Article about "Mormon Scholars Testify"

Daniel Peterson

Thank you for the website.

I just found something there, posted within the last few days, which is precisely what I needed.

I just found something there, posted within the last few days, which is precisely what I needed.

Happy to hear it.

The voices on "Mormon Scholars Testify" are quite distinct and individual (so much for the Mormon Hive Mind, I suppose), and I always think, when I put something up, that there is somebody out there to whom this particular new entry will speak as perhaps no other would.

I couldn't resist this, which I just saw over at the quaintly-named "Recovery" board:

Subject: NPR broadcasting mormon propaganda

Date: Apr 12 11:36

Author: OnceMore

Mail Address:

Our NPR station in Rexburg is pimping the mormon site http://mormonscholarstestify.org/ like it was the answer to all questions, including the question of whether or not science and religion can be compatible.

The Rexburg-based NPR station does not interview anyone with an opposing view, nor does the station present the URL for the opposing site, which is [Nope, I'm not going to give it any publicity - dcp]. The ex-mormon site will feature real scholars and put the vague ramblings of Daniel Peterson to shame -- unfortunately, for now the ex-mormon site is under construction. They have a great home page and it looks like its going to be good. In the meantime, I hope the ex-mormon scholars get that up and running soon, and that they can afford to pay for some Google ad words that steer searchers to their site instead of too the bogus-scholars, mormon site.

This NPR station serves a big area, and it is presenting the mormon website as hard news, within the All Things Considered daily news programs. Mormon testimony is not news, it's religious propaganda. This NPR station is a mormon propaganda machine. www.kbyi.org and the email is kbyi@byui.edu

I think Richard Packham and Simon Southerton may have mentioned the ex-mormon testimony site earlier. The ads-disguised-as-news on NPR radio are a new insult -- mormon leaders must think their website is now ready for prime time.

I wasn't aware of this Rexburg thingy, but I'm happy to hear about it, and even somewhat gratified at how "Mormon Scholars Testify" seems to drive some critics nuts. Moreover, I love the notion that "mormon leaders must think their website is now ready for prime time." Everything, you see, is a conspiracy by the Morg; nothing is what it seems to be. "Mormon Scholars Testify" is a little private project, the idea for which originated with me. A couple of people have helped me make it a reality. Yet there are several vocal critics out there who insist that it's a project orchestrated by the Maxwell Institute and FAIR at the direct order of The Packer Faction® or some such thing. Tin foil hats, I guess, are in short supply in the current recession.

Yet there are several vocal critics out there who insist that it's a project orchestrated by the Maxwell Institute and FAIR at the direct order of The Packer Faction® or some such thing. Tin foil hats, I guess, are in short supply in the current recession.

The beauty of the mind control methods used by "the Church" is that the "victims" aren't even aware that they are being controlled like puppets, they are deluded into thinking that they are acting independent and of their own agency.

See the above post of DCP for PROOF! :crazy::P;)

I know I'm free because the device implanted at the base of my skull tells me so.

Did you know that the new models are totally undetectable? You should get yours upgraded, then you would be totally "free" and "independent". :P

You even got a mention at the excellent "LDS Science Review" blog :P

Testimonies I'd Like to Hear at Church

Mormon Scholars Testify is an online collection of essays by LDS scholars of various types that explain why they believe in the Restored Gospel. It's not all high-fructose correlated corn syrup, either. For example, take this passage from Grant Hardy:

I am still bothered by a number of things

LOL. My Malevolent Stalker, apparently now resurfaced from his vigorous multi-week celebration of April Fool's Day, is again hyperventilating about "Mormon Scholars Testify," which he terms "frankly Mopologetic," "deeply flawed and problematic," "desperate," "very strange," "strangely incestuous," a "fascinating web of nepotism and endless self-reference," "cheap," "silly," "cheesy," reflecting a "fundamentalist ideology," a "carefully constructed world," an instance of "Mopologetic perestroika" and "problematic manipulation," "bizarre and tightly-controlled," "desperate," "rather astonishing," "manipulative and dishonest," "vicious and revenge-fueled," "problematic," "a Mopologetic venture which was motivated by revenge," and, again, "incestuous," but which he still claims is manifesting a "now-dismal growth rate" (which has remained steady and completely unchanged and quite satisfactory for at least two months now).

Rumor has it that some of the more devout celebrants of April Fools Day include hallucinogens and Speed in their rituals, but this cannot be confirmed.

Incidentally, the Stalker's post was welcomed with enthusiasm by Zeezrom, who agreed that "Mormon Scholars Testify" is "destined for failure."

Added: Happy to see the mention on LDS Science Review. Apparently, those folks missed our "fundamentalist ideology" and the "vicious and revenge-fueled" character of our site.

I heard the broadcast on the local "NPR" station in Rexburg as stated above.

It wasn't NPR reporting, it was the local BYU-Idaho reporter who did a small but very positive story on MST. They do re-broadcast NPR in the morning and the afternoon. IT IS VERY OBVIOUS the difference between the BYU-Idaho reports and NPR reports.

This has nothing to do with NPR but it is a Church-owned entity reporting about a nice new LDS-themed website.

Why in the world does this person think the a Church-owned entity within it's own reporting give an opposing view? Only a dolt would expect that.

Actually, I believe this person is intentionally being misleading in the post because there is just no doubt about the origins of the report. None, nada.

LOL. My Malevolent Stalker, apparently now resurfaced from his vigorous multi-week celebration of April Fool's Day, is again hyperventilating about "Mormon Scholars Testify," which he terms "frankly Mopologetic,"

Does Clay College hand out degrees in the art of the obvious?

"strangely incestuous,"

Does he flip open a dictionary at randomn when constructing a sentence?

a "fascinating web of nepotism and endless self-reference,"

Somebody needs to tell the MS that looking up words in a dictionary without checking the definitions is not the best way to enrichen vocabulary.

"an instance of "Mopologetic perestroika"

Two other Russian words, yerunda and chepuxa come to mind.

ZOMG! Did you just tattle on Zeezrom?

Hilarious.

:P

Thanks for the laugh, Dan!

Yeah, thanks for the laugh. But seriously, I have thought about MST from time to time and it really does come across to me as very similar to F&TM at church. A site with a dumptruck load of testimonies is marginally interesting at best.

It would be like having a site where a bunch of global warming defenders made statements of their belief in global warming. After reading a few, you would get the point that they do indeed believe. Not much reason to keep going back and reading more of the same belief. It would get pretty boring.

My big complaint is that it is boring. My prediction that it will fail is more of a side note opinion from the peanut gallery. It may not fail if it has continued resources pumped into it.

No, unless you want it to succeed as a popular website. I thought that was the goal.

EDIT: - I mean popular as in well used with lot's of people visiting it.

Hmmm, well it seems there is some disconnect between the purpose of this website and what you might perceive that purpose to be.

Hmmm, well it seems there is some disconnect between the purpose of this website and what you might perceive that purpose to be.

It will be most helpful if it is popular. Otherwise people won't know about it.

Websites are created in order to get content out to the public. Websites need popularity or they die.

My big complaint is that it is boring. My prediction that it will fail is more of a side note opinion from the peanut gallery. It may not fail if it has continued resources pumped into it.

It will be most helpful if it is popular. Otherwise people won't know about it.

Hi Zeezrom,

If you wouldn't mind, could you share with us the metric you have in mind that measures the popularity of a website? Are you thinking of the number of views it receives and where they originate from? What metric is used to define when a website has "failed?"

WW

Yeah, thanks for the laugh. But seriously, I have thought about MST from time to time and it really does come across to me as very similar to F&TM at church. A site with a dumptruck load of testimonies is marginally interesting at best.

It would be like having a site where a bunch of global warming defenders made statements of their belief in global warming. After reading a few, you would get the point that they do indeed believe. Not much reason to keep going back and reading more of the same belief. It would get pretty boring.

I don't think it will fail as long as it's online. Why? The testimonies it has accumulated so far are already worth the (free) price of admission. I couldn't disagree with your assessment of the site more strongly. There are a variety of perspectives on the site, frankly more than I expected. People from different backgrounds emphasize different aspects of the faith in their contributions to the site. I've tried to read one or two of the testimonies a week, and it's been great so far.

No, unless you want it to succeed as a popular website. I thought that was the goal.

EDIT: - I mean popular as in well used with lot's of people visiting it.

It seems to me that this is the goal (as stated right on the front page):

This website gives LDS scholars the opportunity to express their views and feelings about the Gospel of Jesus Christ and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. There are some who may feel that people of education and learning can
LOL. My Malevolent Stalker, apparently now resurfaced from his vigorous multi-week celebration of April Fool's Day, is again hyperventilating about "Mormon Scholars Testify," which he terms "frankly Mopologetic," "deeply flawed and problematic," "desperate," "very strange," "strangely incestuous," a "fascinating web of nepotism and endless self-reference," "cheap," "silly," "cheesy," reflecting a "fundamentalist ideology," a "carefully constructed world," an instance of "Mopologetic perestroika" and "problematic manipulation," "bizarre and tightly-controlled," "desperate," "rather astonishing," "manipulative and dishonest," "vicious and revenge-fueled," "problematic," "a Mopologetic venture which was motivated by revenge," and, again, "incestuous," but which he still claims is manifesting a "now-dismal growth rate" (which has remained steady and completely unchanged and quite satisfactory for at least two months now).

I think you're being desperately unfair to Scratch by listing "desperate" twice - even if he said it twice. Too bad you can't apologize -- your device makes such behaviors... problematic.

Then why such a rabid kneejerk reaction to it by the antis? How many days did it take for that lame mock-u-site to go up?

Then why such a rabid kneejerk reaction to it by the antis? How many days did it take for that lame mock-u-site to go up?

Juliann! I've heard about you but don't recall having the opportunity to meet on this board.

Hi.

I have never criticized the people who have contributed their testimonies on MST. I am simply voicing my opinion of the site like I do with many web sites and web-based software applications on a weekly basis. There are reasons I personally feel it will be hard for that sight to maintain growth into the future. I could be wrong - it happens a lot.

:P

Archived