Seriously No Politics ×

King Solomon the Wise how did it become

I suddenly had the thought that persons that can see the future would seem very wise indeed. By running their actions or inactions in their mind and seeing the true results (the actual future based on their choices).  This is powerful in that it frees you from struggles with logic.  What is counter intuitive becomes a pathway as in divide the baby in half, which would of failed if both women were hard of heart.  Mind you if it had failed I think we would not of heard about it.

Edited by Metis_LDS
formating
1 hour ago, Metis_LDS said:

I suddenly had the thought that persons that can see the future would seem very wise indeed. By running their actions or inactions in their mind and seeing the true results (the actual future based on their choices).  This is powerful in that it frees you from struggles with logic.  What is counter intuitive becomes a pathway as in divide the baby in half, which would of failed if both women were hard of heart.  Mind you if it had failed I think we would not of heard about it.

If you cut a crumb in half you get two crumbs.

Edited by CV75
2 hours ago, Metis_LDS said:

More likely if neither mother interceded, Solomon would have declared them both unfit and given the child to someone else to raise. That would have been a powerful example of his wisdom as well. 

5 minutes ago, katherine the great said:

More likely if neither mother interceded, Solomon would have declared them both unfit and given the child to someone else to raise. That would have been a powerful example of his wisdom as well. 

Most likely it was a myth. 

Edited by CA Steve
2 hours ago, Metis_LDS said:

You missed the point.  No one is arguing that wisdom is so shallow, but rather that sometimes the simplest solution is the best and wisest.  Here is Judge Judy's wisdom in deciding a similar case:  

39 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

You missed the point.  No one is arguing that wisdom is so shallow, but rather that sometimes the simplest solution is the best and wisest. 

I was only using the baby story as an example.  I am more interested in how God made Solomon wise and thought that this method would be a fast track to learning Wisdom.

9 minutes ago, Metis_LDS said:

............................I am more interested in how God made Solomon wise and thought that this method would be a fast track to learning Wisdom.

I doubt that there is a "fast track," and I doubt that God just makes us wise.  Wisdom is gained over time, with experience and reflection.  The best way to develop wisdom in your children is to allow them plenty of opportunities for both success or failure.  Have them read widely.  Set a good example, give them responsibilities designed to promote self-discipline, make sure that they have excellent mentors, but don't be a control freak about it.  The school of hard knocks is amazingly helpful in developing wisdom.  A very wise man, Ben Franklin, used to say that "Early to bed, and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise."  That aphorism bespeaks self-discipline.

4 hours ago, Metis_LDS said:

persons that can see the future would seem very wise indeed. By running their actions or inactions in their mind and seeing the true results (the actual future based on their choices).  This is powerful in that it frees you from struggles with logic

You ever read the Dune books?  In that world, knowing all possibilities, including for one's own death was crippling....didn't help also when all foreseen paths led to ultimate destruction.

https://dune.fandom.com/wiki/Prescience

Not saying this is reality, but if we are speculating, a possibility.

In Dune, the Golden Path was the one future that would lead to humanity's continuation.  Part of that was the 'hiding' from prescience to allow for freedom of choice.

Edited by Calm
4 minutes ago, Calm said:

You ever read the Dune books?  In that world, knowing all possibilities, including for one's own death was crippling....didn't help also when all foreseen paths led to ultimate destruction.

I love the Dune movie the one with Max Von Sydow.  Yeah this is not all possibilities because you could not think of all things plus your thinking would be solution based.  I guess if you thought about suicde then you see your own death.

7 minutes ago, Metis_LDS said:

I love the Dune movie the one with Max Von Sydow.  Yeah this is not all possibilities because you could not think of all things plus your thinking would be solution based.  I guess if you thought about suicde then you see your own death.

Not really Dune, that movie.  If you like the idea of foretelling, I would suggest reading the books (first four books, more if you aren't too depressed by them) as he developed a complex world to explore the possibility.

Edited by Calm
7 minutes ago, Metis_LDS said:

Yeah thats okay I did not want to fight with you.

We're on the same side, aren't we?  I would, however, ask whether we tend to attribute everything good to God, even those good accomplishments we make.  Does the Holy Spirit lead us to those accomplishments, and does it help give us the humility to ask God for wisdom?  What made Joseph Smith Jr wise enough to ask God for assistance in deciding which church was true?  What makes a righteous man wise enough to pray for wisdom?  All of that takes place with our full participation, or lack of it.  We are free agents, and we choose our own path -- to our glory, or to our sorrow and shame.

Perhaps an explanation for this topic.  I have sensed in my life that many people do not want to really know how God does things. How he gets things done, perhaps this is because having experienced mortality we are already fearfull.  Perhaps it is like watching a camera in your mouth as the Dentist works.  For me I seek out the how because it brings me greater understanding of who I worship.  

5 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Most myths are conceived as exemplars of truth and wisdom.

Well now that would be an interesting discussion where we would have to discuss what we mean by myths and such. I tend to think that most myths arise from the fact that people tend to combine their highly inaccurate memories with other stuff from their lives to construct an event that didn't really happen, which they tell to impress other people and then it is inaccurately repeated by others over and over again until it eventually becomes accented as a commonly known fact.  But I am guessing you probably intended your comment to refer to just Biblical myths, in which case you might be right, though I think a lot of Biblical myths were constructed as a way of legitimatizing one  particular school of thought over another.

2 hours ago, CA Steve said:

Well now that would be an interesting discussion where we would have to discuss what we mean by myths and such. I tend to think that most myths arise from the fact that people tend to combine their highly inaccurate memories with other stuff from their lives to construct an event that didn't really happen, which they tell to impress other people and then it is inaccurately repeated by others over and over again until it eventually becomes accented as a commonly known fact.  But I am guessing you probably intended your comment to refer to just Biblical myths, in which case you might be right, though I think a lot of Biblical myths were constructed as a way of legitimatizing one  particular school of thought over another.

My comment on myth is a worldwide notion among scholars, and is best understood as deliberately symbolic and figurative.  It is designed to frame reality, not fantasy.  The best source I know (among many) is Giorgio de Santillana and Hertha von Dechend, Hamlet's Mill: An Essay on Myth and the Frame of Time (Boston: Gambit, 1969/ Godine, 1977), available online at https://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/hamlets_mill/hamletmill.htm .

7 hours ago, Metis_LDS said:

I enjoyed your post.  Are you saying that Solomon having asked God to make him wise then God did not.

I believe that God, through the Holy Ghost enlightened Solomon's mind and heart to be able to understand how to best apply the knowledge he had and the power he had for the best of all concerned. It is evident from the scriptures that he left oft heeding the very fount of his wisdom at some point also.

Glenn