Seriously No Politics ×

Mormon Deadheads?

SuzyG

17 hours ago, MiserereNobis said:

Did you catch last fall's Hollywood Bowl shows? I was at all 3 and had an absolute blast. I'm contemplating hitting the Boulder shows this summer (I live in New Mexico).

YES! I was there on the Friday and Saturday!!!! I had SO MUCH FUN! I didn't go Sunday because I'm pretty serious about my Sabbath day. But I had such a blast at those shows! I was way in the front for the Help>Slip>Franklin's on Friday and that was amazing! I really was blown away by John Mayer doing "It hurts me too" on Saturday, what a great PigPen he does!!!! Loved the Birdsong that night too. I have tickets for June 11, Dodger Stadium! I'm so excited! I wish I could go to Boulder, my daughter lives there. But I get to see Bob Dylan June 15 at the Pantages. It's very great to meet you! Change of subject, have you ever read the Book of Mormon?😁

I don't know if you're confusing it with "Ramblin' Man," but their 1987 song "Touch of Grey" was in the top 10 and got lots of play back then.

How could I forget Touch of Grey!!!!? And I love it so much! Such a great video!!!! Maybe it's kind of got a Ramblin Man sound in it?

I don't know if you're confusing it with "Ramblin' Man," but their 1987 song "Touch of Grey" was in the top 10 and got lots of play back then.

How could I forget Touch of Grey!!!!? And I love it so much! Such a great video!!!! Maybe it's kind of got a Ramblin Man sound in it?

You don't wail? Not even on Playin'? That would be like Bobby leaving out "ha!" on Estimated Prophet! ;) 

My first show was in '93.

I love Donna, I really do. Her studio stuff is perfect in my opinion. I wouldn't love the Dead as much as I do if it wasn't for her. But I think she couldn't hear herself sometimes and went off too hard sometimes. And then there are so many haters! So I'm careful to not go off like she did. But I do love her so much!!!!!! Especially what she added to Jerry Garcia Band. It's BEAUTIFUL!!!! I saw Melvin Seals a couple weeks ago at the Skull & Roses festival and they had NO BACKUP SINGERS. Everyone was soooooooo disappointed!!!! What a difference those angels make to those Jerry songs!!!!!

19 hours ago, pogi said:

Welcome fellow Mormon Deadhead!!!  

I don't know if I officially qualify as a "Deadhead" having never been to a show, but I am definitely a big fan!  @MiserereNobis is more of the real deal (I think you two have already met), I am just a wannabe MiserereNobis.  He is a deadhead, which is cool, but not a Mormon deadhead, which is even cooler, ha!   As a mando picker, I am also a huge Grateful Dawg fan and have been able to see David Grisman live.    I am probably more of a Phishhead, having grown up more in that generation, but I definitely have a deeper respect for the Dead with their more folk roots.  I am a bluegrasser/folk lover at heart and have played banjo and bass for different local jam bands (non-bluegrass style).  I also play mando and the dobro.  If you have a Spotify account, you can sample our music here.   I haven't played with a band in several years and miss it greatly, so I am jealous of you! I'm also a devout member who served a mission in '97.

In Utah, there is probably a much larger mix of Latter-day Saints out here and you will definitely find many Mormon Deadheads!  Most of my friends growing up who were into the music and drug scene are all inactive or have left the church though.  I do know of quite a few Grateful Dead fans who are active though.   

Anyway, welcome to the board!      

So I've been listening to your Spotify!!! You guys are AMAZING! I feel some Phish in there and Dave Matthews. Totally groovy! What happened to your band!!!? Is it all originals? You guys are really good!!!!! Your mandolin adds so much!

9 hours ago, SuzyG said:

Change of subject, have you ever read the Book of Mormon?😁

Parts of it and not really in order. It's been a few years since I've looked at it. Years back, when people on this board would argue/discuss something and bring up the Book of Mormon, I'd often check out the passage and the chapters around it. The only Doctrine and Covenants and Pearl of Great Price I've read are quoted sections on this board (I don't own either book).

On 4/29/2022 at 2:20 PM, teddyaware said:

What’s the most air-played Grateful Dead song that I’m apparently confusing with Ramblin’ Man?

The thing about the Grateful Dead...is they never got much air-play. No hits really. They are jazz, country, rock fusion that religious people avoid, and I understand, because of what they named themselves. I don't like skulls on my beer bottles or album covers. I don't like their name, or their logos, but the music seems pretty good to me.

Edited by 3DOP
3 minutes ago, 3DOP said:

Edited by 3DOP
27 minutes ago, 3DOP said:

Edited by 3DOP
6 minutes ago, 3DOP said:

So anyway...my first show was pretty late according to how I think of times. '76 or '77. Buzz Madsen and me (I) at the Old Paramount in Portland. No religion yet. I haven't seen Buzz since. He was a good outfielder and friend. But you lose touch, especially in those years. I hope it is good with him now and forever. Some lose religion, some get it. Other things. I saw Buzz' sister in Albertson's once after religion. Not long after, mid 80's. I liked her too...She was nice. I hope she is okay too. But it is so long ago. You see somebody you once knew fifteen years after you knew them, and then you never see them. But you remember. And then before you know, your body has become old, probably hard to recognize from past days, even if you are the same.

At least a touch of grey,

3DOP

1 hour ago, 3DOP said:

The thing about the Grateful Dead...is they never got much air-play. No hits really. They are jazz, country, rock fusion that religious people avoid, and I understand, because of what they named themselves. I don't like skulls on my beer bottles or album covers. I don't like their name, or their logos, but the music seems pretty good to me.

Hits? As big as Ramblin' Man? I don't think so. Maybe some FM. Jerry did a solo album. I liked the sound of Sugaree. "Shake it, shake it Sugaree. There is just one thing I ask of you..." But I can't remember what it is! Wait...(Stream of consciousness time) "Please forget you knew my name, my darling Sugaree." Why would there be a request to be forgetful of the author's name? I needed to listen closer maybe. (Commentary Miserere?) I haven't paid much attention to words. They could have said anything. Kind of like GK Chesterton or CS Lewis. One fears it is more about sound than idea. I am pretty sure I agree with Chesterton and maybe even Lewis some...but is hard to say because they sound so good. I have doubts about whether I agree with the Dead, but I like how they sound.

Edited by 3DOP
On 4/30/2022 at 8:38 AM, SuzyG said:

Great to hear from you, @pogi! I love that you play mandolin! I'm so excited to listen to your spotify! I play guitar, (only good enough to accompany myself) and wish I could be in a band like you describe! I love Bluegrass! Have you heard of The Storytellers? They do Dead bluegrass style. They play around LA and out in Vegas too. They are awesome! I like Phish, but couldn't keep up with all their music. I love their first 3 albums and saw them a couple times around 91. Where are you in Utah? I visit Provo almost every summer. Are you too busy to be in a band? I took off many years when my kids were young, but now that they are older, I'm able to do more musically. Do you do Facebook or Instagram?

I live in Draper, but grew up in Orem - so Provo was my music scene growing up.  Sounds funny to say that Provo was my music scene, but it actually surprisingly had and has a pretty good thriving scene with some really good local bands.  More national acts have come out of Provo than anywhere in Utah.  The Velour was the hot-spot for great music.  It's been around 15 years since I played in a band.  Our lead guitar player and singer were both wanting to be the alpha and that never works out.  Once people started getting married it all kind of puttered out.  We finished recording a third album (the one on spotify is our second) which is way more mature with really good music, but by the end of the album the lead singer was out and the album never got mixed/mastered and produced.  Too bad, because it had some of my favorite songs on it.  

I have young kids and playing in a band now would be really difficult.  I do keep writing music with the hopes of playing with others again some day.  I don't really do Facebook although I do have a stagnant account that gets birthday wishes every year, and that is about it.  No Instagram or Twitter or anything else.  

On 4/30/2022 at 9:32 AM, SuzyG said:

So I've been listening to your Spotify!!! You guys are AMAZING! I feel some Phish in there and Dave Matthews. Totally groovy! What happened to your band!!!? Is it all originals? You guys are really good!!!!! Your mandolin adds so much!

Thank you!  It was a fun band to play with.  Definitely a Phish influence - too much in my opinion.  Our lead guitar player was a bit obsessed with Trey Anastasio as you can tell.  He was very talented but when playing he even mimicked Trey's tortured yet almost orgasmic facial expressions when climaxing in a long jam.  It was a bit over-the-top.   We played mostly originals with a few covers.   I actually didn't start playing the mandolin until right after the band broke up, so you are hearing the banjo primarily on the album with a little dobro.   Our third album was more dobro heavy, which I love.  I have always LOVED the mandolin with the likes of David Grisman, Sam Bush, and my fave Chris Thile.  I predominantly play the mando now and write a lot of my new music on it - not as funky/Phishy and more folky than Hoodooh.  

Edited by pogi
On 4/29/2022 at 1:20 PM, teddyaware said:

What’s the most air-played Grateful Dead song that I’m apparently confusing with Ramblin’ Man?

Are you thinking of Truckin', or Casey Jones Maybe?  Touch of Grey probably had more air-play, but these other popular songs have more of a Ramblin' Man vibe. 

Edited by pogi
17 hours ago, 3DOP said:

Hits? As big as Ramblin' Man? I don't think so. Maybe some FM. Jerry did a solo album. I liked the sound of Sugaree. "Shake it, shake it Sugaree. There is just one thing I ask of you..." But I can't remember what it is! Wait...(Stream of consciousness time) "Please forget you knew my name, my darling Sugaree." Why would there be a request to be forgetful of the author's name? I needed to listen closer maybe. (Commentary Miserere?) I haven't paid much attention to words. They could have said anything. Kind of like GK Chesterton or CS Lewis. One fears it is more about sound than idea. I am pretty sure I agree with Chesterton and maybe even Lewis some...but is hard to say because they sound so good. I have doubts about whether I agree with the Dead, but I like how they sound.

Obviously I love their sound, but I love the lyrics (for the most part), too. Robert Hunter took some previous songs and reworked them. "Sugaree" a small example of this -- Elizabeth Cotton had a song called "Shake Sugaree." "Stagger Lee" is another example. Check out the lyrics to Lloy Price's version from the 1950s.

In Robert Hunter's book of collected lyrics called "Box of Rain," he has a footnote at the end of "China Cat Sunflower." I'm going to grab the book so I get the quote just exactly right. Here it is:

Nobody ever asked me the meaning of this song. People seem to know exactly what I'm talking about. It's good that a few things in this world are clear to all of us.

I love it! 😂

On 4/30/2022 at 9:32 PM, 3DOP said:

WOW! You saw Donna and Keith! I think that is just AMAZING! I was born in 1969 so I couldn't have really done that with much appreciation. What did you think of your first show? How many more times did you see the Dead?

On 5/1/2022 at 8:38 AM, pogi said:

I live in Draper, but grew up in Orem - so Provo was my music scene growing up.  Sounds funny to say that Provo was my music scene, but it actually surprisingly had and has a pretty good thriving scene with some really good local bands.  More national acts have come out of Provo than anywhere in Utah.  The Velour was the hot-spot for great music.  It's been around 15 years since I played in a band.  Our lead guitar player and singer were both wanting to be the alpha and that never works out.  Once people started getting married it all kind of puttered out.  We finished recording a third album (the one on spotify is our second) which is way more mature with really good music, but by the end of the album the lead singer was out and the album never got mixed/mastered and produced.  Too bad, because it had some of my favorite songs on it.  

I have young kids and playing in a band now would be really difficult.  I do keep writing music with the hopes of playing with others again some day.  I don't really do Facebook although I do have a stagnant account that gets birthday wishes every year, and that is about it.  No Instagram or Twitter or anything else.  

Thank you!  It was a fun band to play with.  Definitely a Phish influence - too much in my opinion.  Our lead guitar player was a bit obsessed with Trey Anastasio as you can tell.  He was very talented but when playing he even mimicked Trey's tortured yet almost orgasmic facial expressions when climaxing in a long jam.  It was a bit over-the-top.   We played mostly originals with a few covers.   I actually didn't start playing the mandolin until right after the band broke up, so you are hearing the banjo primarily on the album with a little dobro.   Our third album was more dobro heavy, which I love.  I have always LOVED the mandolin with the likes of David Grisman, Sam Bush, and my fave Chris Thile.  I predominantly play the mando now and write a lot of my new music on it - not as funky/Phishy and more folky than Hoodooh.  

Yes, having young kids and being in a band is pretty difficult. Sorry to hear about how your band didn't stay together. Bands are amazing. They are like a family. And they are hard to keep together sometimes. Egos clash, members have different visions, etc. I think it's a miracle the way some bands stay together and continue after losing members, etc. I'm always looking for people I connect with musically, that I could maybe have some kind of band with. I play guitar and sing but always feel a bit lonely. I have luckily made some musician friends that I can occasionally play with. I hope maybe to have a band. I would love to be in a bluegrass style or acoustic dead band.  I LOVE the mandolin and banjo! I like Phish, but don't love them like some people do. They don't have the lyrics of Hunter, the softness of the Dead. Sometimes I don't even know why they'd be compared!!! I hope you still play a lot at least to reward yourself or play for your kids!!!!

On 5/1/2022 at 8:38 AM, pogi said:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrDaSmG79g1enPbwyadEUeQ

So this is my youtube channel. It's really random, but I do some stuff with local bands and play on my own too. Just in case you want to take a listen!

On 4/30/2022 at 5:24 PM, MiserereNobis said:

Parts of it and not really in order. It's been a few years since I've looked at it. Years back, when people on this board would argue/discuss something and bring up the Book of Mormon, I'd often check out the passage and the chapters around it. The only Doctrine and Covenants and Pearl of Great Price I've read are quoted sections on this board (I don't own either book).

It's an amazing book. I love it. It totally complements the Bible and testifies of Christ. If I hadn't been raised Mormon, I probably would have been totally skeptical of it. (And Joseph Smith) But since I grew up with it, I realized I had to read it to know if it was true. I feel the Holy Ghost so strongly as I read it, as I do with the Bible. Nearly every page speaks of Christ and his divinity. It is so uplifting and soul filling! I really respect Catholic members that are practicing. I have devout Catholic friends that I admire and learn from, I have marched with Catholic pro lifers that INSPIRE me. My husband was raised by a wonderful Catholic mom and was an altar boy but then they found the Church of Jesus Christ and joined. I would invite you to read the Book of Mormon from beginning to end and ask in prayer if it is true.

1 hour ago, SuzyG said:

I like Phish, but don't love them like some people do. They don't have the lyrics of Hunter, the softness of the Dead. Sometimes I don't even know why they'd be compared!!! I hope you still play a lot at least to reward yourself or play for your kids!!!!

I'm with you on Phish.  I definitely went through a Phish phaze (ha!) in high-school, where I was hungry for non-pop format music, but burned out fairly quickly.  There is not much substance with lyrics and definitely lacks the softness and soul of the Dead.  Phish was like an instant-gratification drug, while the Dead are more sustaining. 

1 hour ago, SuzyG said:

Sometimes I don't even know why they'd be compared!!! I hope you still play a lot at least to reward yourself or play for your kids!!!!

They are mostly compared because they are both jam bands that are not afraid to break the pop mold and improv endlessly at live shows, and never play the same show twice.

Thanks for the encouragement.  It is definitely something that I still love to do.  I am a music binger.  I will go months where I obsess about my music and write and record like crazy, where I have a hard time thinking about anything else.  Then I go through periods of drought.  I probably have 30 songs that I have started recording, but never quite get around to completing.  There is something about the collaboration process with a band that really drives me to finish and complete songs, and it doesn't hurt to have band-mates to help you creatively when you feel stuck on a song.   As you say, I get musically lonely.  I identify with that.   

1 hour ago, SuzyG said:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrDaSmG79g1enPbwyadEUeQ

So this is my youtube channel. It's really random, but I do some stuff with local bands and play on my own too. Just in case you want to take a listen!

I wish I could give this an upvote!  You have a really good voice and pleasing tone.   Jerry Duty looks like a fun gig!  It is great to see hymns like I am a Child of God and I Stand All Amazed mingling together with The Dead, Cat Stevens,  Bob Dylan and others!  That speaks to who you are and I wish there were more like you. 

2 hours ago, SuzyG said:

I would invite you to read the Book of Mormon from beginning to end and ask in prayer if it is true.

Thanks for the invitation, but I'm not seeking right now. Things could always change, obviously, but right now I know I'm exactly where God wants me: a devout Catholic hanging out on a LDS board, ha.

I didn't "gain a testimony" (as LDS say) of Catholicism by reading the Bible or a single prayer about the Catholic Church. It was through the liturgy (which does contain readings from the Bible) and monastic retreats. I don't have a single moment in time that I can point to as my conversion: no "born again" experience, no specific answer to a specific prayer. My faith just built slowly and surely as month after month I attended mass and started adding devotional practices like the rosary. I have a very strong devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary and feel She had a very strong part in my journey to Rome. I was also heavily reading the Catholic mystics and began to have some Catholic mystical experiences.

Some people complain that Catholics aren't very welcoming to newcomers or strangers at mass, but that's exactly what I wanted -- to be left alone and navigate this without having to explain myself or deal with social events. Even the monks at the monasteries didn't ask me if I was Catholic or not. After a year and half or so I started to go to daily mass on my way to work. I had gone probably 6 weeks when the priest stopped me on my way out and asked if we could talk. He was confused why I was not receiving communion. I told him I wasn't a baptized Catholic. The look on his face was priceless -- why was a non Catholic going to daily mass?? He asked if I wanted to be. And that was the culmination of 20 months or so -- I said yes. We began meeting twice a week to go over the catechism, much of which I already knew. And then I was baptized. The grace of that sacrament opened me to the grace of the other sacraments, especially confession and communion. I'm very happy and blessed to be where I am now.

I was going to ask if Deadheads resemble or overlap Phish fans.  I don’t know either band at all, couldn’t tell you one song either does.  But I know that Phish fans are Die Hard.  I used to be acquainted with a drug dealer who worked the crowd at every single Phish show there was.  Is?  I haven’t seen him in 5 years.  Anyway, the guy was loaded.  Like, with money loaded.  Had one eye.  Not like cyclops but had been in a fight and lost one.  It just seemed like such a rough scene when he would describe it, but also lots of “love peace and harmony.”  Modern hippie vibe.

I’

On 5/2/2022 at 10:58 AM, pogi said:

I'm with you on Phish.  I definitely went through a Phish phaze (ha!) in high-school, where I was hungry for non-pop format music, but burned out fairly quickly.  There is not much substance with lyrics and definitely lacks the softness and soul of the Dead.  Phish was like an instant-gratification drug, while the Dead are more sustaining. 

They are mostly compared because they are both jam bands that are not afraid to break the pop mold and improv endlessly at live shows, and never play the same show twice.

Thanks for the encouragement.  It is definitely something that I still love to do.  I am a music binger.  I will go months where I obsess about my music and write and record like crazy, where I have a hard time thinking about anything else.  Then I go through periods of drought.  I probably have 30 songs that I have started recording, but never quite get around to completing.  There is something about the collaboration process with a band that really drives me to finish and complete songs, and it doesn't hurt to have band-mates to help you creatively when you feel stuck on a song.   As you say, I get musically lonely.  I identify with that.   

I wish I could give this an upvote!  You have a really good voice and pleasing tone.   Jerry Duty looks like a fun gig!  It is great to see hymns like I am a Child of God and I Stand All Amazed mingling together with The Dead, Cat Stevens,  Bob Dylan and others!  That speaks to who you are and I wish there were more like you. 

Aw, thanks for your kindness about my voice! I feel very blessed that I can sing songs I love so much!! I'm glad you like the songs I picked. I would love to help people that don't know Christ, to maybe feel the Spirit and possibly know Him. 

Now that your kids are young, focus on them, and you will see the time will come when you can do music again. I stopped playing for YEARS but it really does all come back. God blesses our talents, too. If you were my neighbor, I would beg you to jam with me!!!!

I forgot to say something about what you said about Provo earlier. I know it had a pretty booming time for a while there. Neon Trees and Imagine Dragons both came out of there, right? I've seen Velour, but I've never been. But I believe you about the music scene!

I'm going to Dead & Co this June at Dodger Stadium. Have you thought about going to Folsom Field? As one who saw Jerry many times, I still think they are going strong. John Mayer shreds! It was super hard for me to accept him at first, but he's really good!

On 5/2/2022 at 12:25 PM, MiserereNobis said:

Thanks for the invitation, but I'm not seeking right now. Things could always change, obviously, but right now I know I'm exactly where God wants me: a devout Catholic hanging out on a LDS board, ha.

I didn't "gain a testimony" (as LDS say) of Catholicism by reading the Bible or a single prayer about the Catholic Church. It was through the liturgy (which does contain readings from the Bible) and monastic retreats. I don't have a single moment in time that I can point to as my conversion: no "born again" experience, no specific answer to a specific prayer. My faith just built slowly and surely as month after month I attended mass and started adding devotional practices like the rosary. I have a very strong devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary and feel She had a very strong part in my journey to Rome. I was also heavily reading the Catholic mystics and began to have some Catholic mystical experiences.

Some people complain that Catholics aren't very welcoming to newcomers or strangers at mass, but that's exactly what I wanted -- to be left alone and navigate this without having to explain myself or deal with social events. Even the monks at the monasteries didn't ask me if I was Catholic or not. After a year and half or so I started to go to daily mass on my way to work. I had gone probably 6 weeks when the priest stopped me on my way out and asked if we could talk. He was confused why I was not receiving communion. I told him I wasn't a baptized Catholic. The look on his face was priceless -- why was a non Catholic going to daily mass?? He asked if I wanted to be. And that was the culmination of 20 months or so -- I said yes. We began meeting twice a week to go over the catechism, much of which I already knew. And then I was baptized. The grace of that sacrament opened me to the grace of the other sacraments, especially confession and communion. I'm very happy and blessed to be where I am now.

Well I am very happy that you found God and Christ through Catholicism. I believe all churches that teach of God and Christ are wonderful. I think you already know, we Mormons just believe we have more of what God has revealed. But I really like the experiences you have been through and I am very glad that you are happy. God reveals line upon line and precept upon precept. If you come to Dodger Stadium, I hope I might get to meet you!

5 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

I was going to ask if Deadheads resemble or overlap Phish fans.  I don’t know either band at all, couldn’t tell you one song either does.  But I know that Phish fans are Die Hard.  I used to be acquainted with a drug dealer who worked the crowd at every single Phish show there was.  Is?  I haven’t seen him in 5 years.  Anyway, the guy was loaded.  Like, with money loaded.  Had one eye.  Not like cyclops but had been in a fight and lost one.  It just seemed like such a rough scene when he would describe it, but also lots of “love peace and harmony.”  Modern hippie vibe.

I’

There is a HUGE overlap of Dead fans and Phish fans. They both have a totally die hard fan base. I think the rough part of the scene is that some fans smoke a lot, drink a lot, do psychedelics. But I would say there is a big love & peace vibe going on. I am a big Dead fan, and a slight fan of Phish. I admire that the members of Phish are sober and live very clean positive lives to my understanding. I wish Jerry Garcia could have done that!