Seriously No Politics ×

Missionary meals

We feed the missionaries every Wednesday evening, and one of the great things about it is that it encourages us to try new things and new recipes. I know there's a recipe thread, but I'm wondering if anyone has ideas for missionary meals that are fairly easy but not the usual casserole type food. 

Today's menu:

• Homemade 3-cheese macaroni and cheese
  • Mixed vegetables
  • Chocolate ganache cake
19 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

We feed the missionaries every Wednesday evening, and one of the great things about it is that it encourages us to try new things and new recipes. I know there's a recipe thread, but I'm wondering if anyone has ideas for missionary meals that are fairly easy but not the usual casserole type food. 

Today's menu:

• Homemade 3-cheese macaroni and cheese
  • Mixed vegetables
  • Chocolate ganache cake

I did a seafood boil  for the missionaries right before covid and they loved it. Really easy because we steam it outside on  a big propane burner. One pot meal, easy to clean up, and when it's done cooking, put some newspaper on a table and throw everything in the middle of the table, then enjoy. Ball up paper and throw in the trash. Easy peasy.

19 minutes ago, AtlanticMike said:

I did a seafood boil  for the missionaries right before covid and they loved it. Really easy because we steam it outside on  a big propane burner. One pot meal, easy to clean up, and when it's done cooking, put some newspaper on a table and throw everything in the middle of the table, then enjoy. Ball up paper and throw in the trash. Easy peasy.

That’s a good idea. I made gumbo a couple of months ago, and that was quite labor intensive. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Rain said:

Copy cat Cafe Rio Salads

I can't actually tell you if the recipe I linked to is good or not.  I always just look up a recipe and do whatever I find because they are all pretty similar. 

It's a little more work, but I do like to have the dressing as well.

I am looking for a new salad dressing...this sounds great, though I will have to track down a Ranch from scratch as I am trying to do low sodium these days for my alleged Meniere’s (I have big doubts about the diagnosis, but can’t do much harm with low sodium).  But that will work nicely as then I will have Ranch and Tomatillos dressings. 

I should pass on the Costa Vida/Cafe Rio gossip I know...if I could only remember the details. My husband knew some of those involved in the lawsuit and knows the backstory.  Too bad he goes to sleep at 10. I will likely forget to ask him to refresh my memory...and he will probably tell me with the lawsuit settled not to gossip anyway, lol.  

Edited by Calm

Cajun red beans and rice with Andouille sausage tonight, salad, and hot fudge brownie sundaes.

They said they're allowed to eat with members if there is a nonmember or less-active member there. I said we had that covered. :)

Edited by jkwilliams
On 6/2/2021 at 5:30 PM, jkwilliams said:

That’s a good idea.

Thought I would give you my seafood boil recipe incase you want to try. First, any seasoning can be used but I've probably tried a dozen and the winner has always been Old Bay seafood seasoning.

In a big pot put cut up corn on the cob and cut up potatoes. Then add just enough water to cover the potatoes and corn halfway, this way the food you put on top of the corn and potatoes only steams because it's not in contact with the water. Boil the corn and potatoes for 5 minutes then add Old Bay seasoning to the water, if you like spicy, don't be shy, add alot then add more😂. Then add your seafood, it can be anything, since we are close to the coast we go crazy and add oysters first, then muscles, clams then cover and steam for 3 minutes. Then we add shrimp covered in a old Bay, then a lot of kielbasa sausage cut up in 3/4" pieces, any smaller and the dry out. Then put salted green beans and mushrooms and cover with lots of seaweed. Cover with lid and cook about another 6 or so minutes if you want the green beans to still have some snap to them. And as Emril says, Baaaammmm!!! It's done😁 

If you're not using a colander in the pot just make sure you don't get any of the water on the food that was only steamed, the water will wash of all the flavor. Also, crab works great in it and also calamari and crawdads, basically whatever is fresh or available. We put news paper on the table and just pour the contents out of the colander on to the paper. Butter, cocktail sauce and hot sauce are our favorite condiments to flavor with. Ohh, also horseradish if your feeling spicy.