Church Website

bsjkki

21 hours ago, NoahVail said:

The mental illness post on the front page is an interesting read.  A couple things bugged me about it (as a longtime caregiver) but on balance it was okay. 

What bugged you about it?

22 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

I was thinking it might have led to confusion over the causes of bipolar disorder, as it came across to me as triggered by mistreatment by a boss...felt more acute rather than long term stress and it didn't mention any genetic history (.which is thought to be 70-90% of causal factors).  Wasn't troubling, just thought it could be improved.

3 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

I was grateful for highlighting the post on mental illness. It was a well timed story for me to read. A family member of mine just got diagnosed with bipolar disorder. It's a rough diagnoses to work through for everyone.

I like how it mentioned finding the right med combo for mental illness/disorders can be difficult.  Some people never find it (me...too many side effects to keep trying when I can manage okay with my sleep meds, I am hoping genetic testing for drugs improves and starts suggesting stuff that can work as opposed to stuff that likely won't...at least that is how my psychiatrist explained the status a year ago).  And also how it made the point that just because medication works, it doesn't mean suddenly everything is easy or 'normal'.

5 minutes ago, strappinglad said:

Is this what was called ' manic depression ' ? 

Yep

https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/bipolar-disorder/index.shtml

Overview

Bipolar disorder (formerly called manic-depressive illness or manic depression) is a mental disorder that causes unusual shifts in mood, energy, activity levels, concentration, and the ability to carry out day-to-day tasks.

There are three types of bipolar disorder. All three types involve clear changes in mood, energy, and activity levels. These moods range from periods of extremely “up,” elated, irritable, or energized behavior (known as manic episodes) to very “down,” sad, indifferent, or hopeless periods (known as depressive episodes). Less severe manic periods are known as hypomanic episodes.

• Bipolar I Disorder— defined by manic episodes that last at least 7 days, or by manic symptoms that are so severe that the person needs immediate hospital care. Usually, depressive episodes occur as well, typically lasting at least 2 weeks. Episodes of depression with mixed features (having depressive symptoms and manic symptoms at the same time) are also possible.
  • Bipolar II Disorder— defined by a pattern of depressive episodes and hypomanic episodes, but not the full-blown manic episodes that are typical of Bipolar I Disorder.
  • Cyclothymic Disorder (also called Cyclothymia)—defined by periods of hypomanic symptoms as well as periods of depressive symptoms lasting for at least 2 years (1 year in children and adolescents). However, the symptoms do not meet the diagnostic requirements for a hypomanic episode and a depressive episode.

Sometimes a person might experience symptoms of bipolar disorder that do not match the three categories listed above, which is referred to as “other specified and unspecified bipolar and related disorders.”

Edited by Calm
20 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

He led with a series of unfortunate events that culminated in significant mental illness, as if the former resulted in the latter.  While severe depression is potential consequence of extended unemployment, bipolar disorder is not. While stressors could accelerate an eventual outcome and even trigger a mental health crisis, a timeline that begins with job loss and ends with bipolar disorder seems misleadingly incomplete.

My other issue was his casual portrayal of inpatient mental healthcare as if it were something that was ordinarily available when it's typically restricted to the very fortunate. Only a tiny subset of the people who need inpatient care can actually get it.

On 9/22/2020 at 4:23 AM, bsjkki said:

Is the church website down or is it just me?

The LCR was having issues, apparently. I'm stake clerk and needed to get into the finance part of LCR, but it just wasn't working. Instead of the Finance page I would get a "connection error". And at times during the past few days the entire website was completely hosed. 

But it seems to be working now. It seems that they were rolling out some new features, and the rollout didn't go very well.