Ancient Divine Assembly/Council/Court Psalms 82

37 minutes ago, telnetd said:

Do you have church teachings instead of Wikipedia to support the idea Psalm 82 is that council?

@telnetd  @InCognitus  

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/jesus-the-christ/chapter-28?lang=eng

"In Psalm 82:6, judges invested by divine appointment are called 'gods.' To this scripture 
the Savior referred in His reply to the Jews in Solomon's Porch. Judges so authorized officiated 
as the representatives of God and are honored by the exalted title 'gods.' Compare the similar 
appellation applied to Moses (Exo. 4:16; 7:1). Jesus Christ possessed divine authorization, not 
through the word of God transmitted to Him by man, but as an inherent attribute. The inconsistency 
of calling human judges 'gods,' and of ascribing blasphemy to the Christ who called Himself the 
Son of God, would have been apparent to the Jews but for their sin-darkened minds
"

This was from James E. Talmage, one of the Twelve Apostles. He passed away in 1933.

6 hours ago, telnetd said:

Do you have church teachings instead of Wikipedia to support the idea Psalm 82 is that council?

Yes.  From a statement from the First Presidency, 1912—April—Improvement Era 15:483-485 (April, 1912).

But the sole object of worship, God the Eternal Father, stands supreme and alone, and it is in the name of the Only Begotten that we thus approach Him, as Christ taught always. "God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; He judgeth among the gods." (Psalms 82:1.) Jesus quoted this and did not dispute it (John 10:34-6). All the perfected beings who are rightly called gods, being, like the Savior, possessed of "the fullness of the Godhead bodily," are ONE, just as the Father and the Son and the Holy Ghost are one.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, InCognitus said:

All the perfected beings who are rightly called gods, being, like the Savior, possessed of "the fullness of the Godhead bodily," are ONE, just as the Father and the Son and the Holy Ghost are one.

Who are these perfected beings (the gods) who possessed the fullness of the Godhead at this Divine Council, and
what do you mean by perfected?

Edited by telnetd
extra q
1 hour ago, telnetd said:

Who are these perfected beings (the gods) who possessed the fullness of the Godhead at this Divine Council, and
what do you mean by perfected?

They are unspecified beings.  They are "perfected" though their desire to obey God's laws and by the grace and mercy of God.  

• Like 1
15 hours ago, InCognitus said:

They are unspecified beings.  They are "perfected" though their desire to obey God's laws and by the grace and mercy of God.  

It sounds then that this is not the Divine Council that you mentioned earlier, where the spirit children
of God were present.

1 hour ago, telnetd said:

It sounds then that this is not the Divine Council that you mentioned earlier, where the spirit children
of God were present.

We are all the spirit children of God.  So why does this not sound like the Divine Council?

23 hours ago, InCognitus said:

We are all the spirit children of God.  So why does this not sound like the Divine Council?

I suppose I have a hard time understanding what you meant by saying earlier "All the perfected beings who are
rightly called gods, being, like the Savior, possessed of "the fullness of the Godhead bodily," are ONE, just as the
Father and the Son and the Holy Ghost are one
"

What is the difference in Adam and Eve already being gods in their pre-mortal state and them becoming gods
(Gods in Alma 12:31) after eating the forbidden fruit?  And why was Moses made as God to Pharaoh when he
was already a god?  

On 9/11/2020 at 10:08 AM, telnetd said:

I suppose I have a hard time understanding what you meant by saying earlier "All the perfected beings who are rightly called gods, being, like the Savior, possessed of "the fullness of the Godhead bodily," are ONE, just as the Father and the Son and the Holy Ghost are one"

What is the difference in Adam and Eve already being gods in their pre-mortal state and them becoming gods (Gods in Alma 12:31) after eating the forbidden fruit?  And why was Moses made as God to Pharaoh when he was already a god?  

Human babies are still human even though they haven’t developed to their full potential.  Likewise, eternal beings may be called “gods”, but that doesn’t mean they are all the same in their progression.  Related to this, I know you know (because it has been discussed before) why it was that Adam and Even were said to be “as God” in the one attribute of God, to “know good and evil” (Genesis 3:22).  They became more like God the Father in that one attribute. 

As for Moses in Exodus 7:1, that’s a totally different application of the word ’ĕlōhîm (god), since Moses was being called to be God’s representative to Pharaoh.

• Like 1