Age restriction for missionaries

I know the cutoff is 26 for proselytizing. Is it the same for service? I feel called by the spirit to lift the poorest of the poor out of poverty. I plan on saving money and relocating to the third world. But I figured a service mission in Africa could give me experience. But it probably isn't an option. I am single and 36. 

You might try using the senior missionary interactive service for info. I don’t know if it will work or not as I don’t want to apply just to try it out as the info might be stored in connection with my account and create confusion since it is unlikely I will be able to serve in any way unless something drastic happens medically speaking  

https://seniormissionary.churchofjesuschrist.org/srsite/catalog?exp=dwa&kw=fellowshipmiss&ft=false&cs=false&mt=Teach and Fellowship

Otherwise, I suggest asking your bishop to check it out for you. 

Edited by Calm

For Church Service Missionaries there really is no age restriction except to be an adult:
"All Church-service missionaries must be worthy to hold a temple recommend and should have no minor children living at home. They must be physically, mentally, and emotionally able to fulfill the specific call and its related duties. Prospective missionaries must also provide their own transportation and financial support. Church-service missionaries are responsible for their own medical and dental needs, including eye-care and prescription-drug expenses.
Church-service missionaries serve at least 8 hours per week. They normally serve for 6 to 24 months."

For Service Missionaries:
"Worthy young men (ages 18 to 25) and young women (ages 19 to 25) who are unable to serve a proselyting mission for physical, mental, or emotional reasons may be called to a service mission. A worthy young man who is unable to serve a proselyting mission does not have a priesthood duty to serve a service mission."

I wonder if the age restrictions for men won't be changed --- there will be a group of those who want to be faithful members who none the less will never marry, and there doesn't seem to be any practical reason why they shouldn't be able to go.

That said, in the OP's place, I would join  an NGO or the Peace Corp and learn all about how things are done on that side of the fence, which would be helpful for a desired life of serving in the way you describe.