Anybody else seen this new book?

Wow! A 468-page expansion.  I may end up buying a copy myself.  Who am I kidding? Definitely buying one on payday.  I took the liberty of looking into the contents.  It is a two-part book.  Basically two volumes of material under one cover.  Part 1 is basically the content of the link, but with more material, more footnotes, and verses of scripture added and discussed.  Part 2 looks like responses and discussions of arguments from anti-Mormons, in some detail.  22 pages for John 4:24 alone!  Here are the section headings of the second section:

LISTING OF OBJECTIONS IN THE FOLLOWING SECTION

The Critics’ Various “Scriptural” Objections to the Doctrine Of Eternal Progression Addressed

Related Objections of the Nauvoo Expositor Discussed

Various Further Objections of the Critics to be Discussed

The Bible says there is and shall be only one God!

The Bible says Jehovah is Elohim, so how can they be separate?!

The Bible says that God the Father alone is Jehovah!

The Bible says that Father, Son and Holy Ghost are the same God!

The Bible says God is not a man!

The Bible says that God always has been God (and so does the Book of Mormon)!

The Bible says that God is a Spirit!

Not so fast! The Bible flat out says that “the Lord is that Spirit,” meaning he really is a Spirit like it says in John 4:24!

The Bible says flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, so God must be a Spirit!

The Bible says that God is invisible, so he must be a Spirit!

No, no, no! You Mormons still have it all wrong!  The Bible says that no man ever has seen God!

The Bible says that God has no form because he fills heaven and earth!

We can’t take the Bible literally when it says God has parts because it also says he has wings!

The Bible says that belief that men can become like God/as gods is the first lie!

The Bible says that God charges the angels with folly and that even the heavens themselves are unclean before God! How can you Mormons even think man ever could be anything like God?

The Bible says that Lucifer wanted to become like God, and we all know what happened to him for even thinking it!

The Bible says that the gods who didn’t make heaven and earth are going to perish! How then can anyone else be true gods?

The Bible says God created all things from nothing!  You Mormons believe that Jesus is the spirit-brother of Lucifer! You Mormons also believe that Jesus is your “elder brother”! But the Bible says Jesus created all things, including Lucifer and the spirits of men!  And Jesus also is God!

Parting Words

Also has Dead Sea Scrolls stuff in it and talks about changes in the Bible.  It's even got a full reconstruction of Deuteronomy 32:43 with vowel-points and cantillation, and a translation.  It's twice as long as the same text in our Bibles.  Has an interesting take on Jesus's promise in Matt. 16:18, too, in the Parting Words section.  Here that is:

Jesus promised that his Church would not be prevailed against by “the gates of Hades” (Matthew 16:18, NET Bible). Many have interpreted this verse to mean that the Church on earth would not die. But this is not what Jesus meant. People have not understood. These also do not realize the function of the gates of Hades. Their function was to keep in Hades those who died, and keep them dead, thus prevailing against all who entered thereby. They were not defensive gates. Most never follow through to this real meaning of the promise. It is only through death that this promise might be fulfilled, for in death is how one faces the gates of death. The Church was to die but Jesus promised that she would not be prevailed against.  She would live again! Why not unite with the living Church?

It has a four part index.  There is a scripture index that looks like it locates every single scripture quoted or referenced in the entire book.  Could be useful.

Edited by MormonMason

Breaking a five year silence, that must be one good book. :)

http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/61840-throw-out-the-dates-mayan-mystery/?do=findComment&comment=1209304950

Where have you been and what thing could have been so important to keep you away?

PS: formerly known as calmoriah since you weren't around for the great name change 

Edited by Calm
12 hours ago, Calm said:

Breaking a five year silence, that must be one good book. :)

http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/61840-throw-out-the-dates-mayan-mystery/?do=findComment&comment=1209304950

Where have you been and what thing could have been so important to keep you away?

PS: formerly known as calmoriah since you weren't around for the great name change 

Been sick a lot, and in between, have been really busy.  That, and very frustrated from deleted posts and thread banning that started happening at the end.  A combination of things.  I still may not be able to post as frequently as I would like, given circumstances.

Oh, and the answer to the question of Osborn in that thread is that in the Mesoamerican model, getting lost would have been really easy.  They were looking for Sidon (our Grijalva), made a wrong turn at night (the two heads of those rivers being close together), and ended up in the Usumacinta, instead.  That river winds through the land like a serpent, which would have gotten them turned around and ending up wandering around northward trying to get their bearings once they reached the place where Grijalva and Usumacinta meet before the shore line.  They would have figured that Zarahemla was toward the setting of the Sun and headed in that direction along the shore from that point forward.  That, of course, would have led them northward until they stumbled onto the ruins of the Jaredites in the land northward.  Well, at least that is the way I see it.  That is yet another reason why I side with the Mesoamerican model.  It fits the situation in the Book of Mormon and would result in that kind of being lost in real life.

Edited by MormonMason

Never used the option myself, but several things were simplified last obvious update...I was actually surprised your older posts came up as last few times I tried that, they only went back one year (looks like Nemesis sneaked in a board tweak while I wasn't paying attention).

Maybe someone who uses the service can offer some pointers.

My only suggestion would be to check your email address in your profile and maybe your spam file in your mailbox.

Edited by Calm
20 hours ago, Calm said:

Never used the option myself, but several things were simplified last obvious update...I was actually surprised your older posts came up as last few times I tried that, they only went back one year (looks like Nemesis sneaked in a board tweak while I wasn't paying attention).

Maybe someone who uses the service can offer some pointers.

My only suggestion would be to check your email address in your profile and maybe your spam file in your mailbox.

Yeah, it's really weird.  Nothing in my Inbox and nothing in my junk mail, either.  I guess I'm just going to have to keep visiting and crawling through threads to find stuff.  That is going to be inconvenient and will cut into the amount of available time I will be able to visit and post here, for the time being.

On 28/03/2018 at 1:29 AM, MormonMason said:

Surfing and searching around Amazon turned this up:

https://www.amazon.com/s?field-keywords=1544689152

Thoughts?

My copy arrived today.  It's got a lot of pages...

I didn't check in advance, but before receiving it I was under some kind of impression that it was written by a non-LDS biblical scholar. This turns out to be incorrect.  The author is LDS, a convert who fell away and then came back.  He's apparently self-taught.  So, assuming he knows what he is talking about, the information ought to be enlightening, even if I won't be able to cite him as an authority -- I suppose he cites others, however, who are authorities.  I'll see how this goes.  

I sure hope I can find the time to read this. The subject has always fascinated me.

13 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

My copy arrived today.  It's got a lot of pages...

I didn't check in advance, but before receiving it I was under some kind of impression that it was written by a non-LDS biblical scholar. This turns out to be incorrect.  The author is LDS, a convert who fell away and then came back.  He's apparently self-taught.  So, assuming he knows what he is talking about, the information ought to be enlightening, even if I won't be able to cite him as an authority -- I suppose he cites others, however, who are authorities.  I'll see how this goes.  

I sure hope I can find the time to read this. The subject has always fascinated me.

Lot's of interesting information in those pages.  It is organized in two sections.  A number of specific references to claims made by anti-Mormons appear in the second section.  Just about everything I've looked at so far seems to have some authority or another, or some ancient text, as some sort of backing for underlying argumentation.

Looks like he's also got a couple or so examples of reconstructions of putative, original Bible texts.  The one for Deuteronomy 32:43 really caught my attention.  If you haven't seen it yet it is located just before the contents page.  Some of the reconstructions seem to go against the grain of standard claims made by text critics, like the one for Colossians 1:16.  He admits so and gives his reasons as to why some textual decisions may need a second look.  I'm finished flipping around the pages and am about to read consecutively from front to back.  Indeed.  We'll see how it goes.  But it'll have to wait until I have some more time to give it a thorough read.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/04/2018 at 11:12 AM, MormonMason said:

Here is a positive review of the above named book by a fellow named Robert Boylan.

http://scripturalmormonism.blogspot.com/2018/04/insights-from-d-charles-pyle-i-have.html?m=1

I started out unsure if this book would do anything worthwhile for me, but have been enjoying it, and learning things!  On my own I wouldn't have come across it, so I must thank you for bringing it to my attention. It has been well worth my time, and I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in the subject.  I'm not finished yet -- and I suspect it is going to take me a few months.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎04‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 7:18 AM, Stargazer said:

I started out unsure if this book would do anything worthwhile for me, but have been enjoying it, and learning things!  On my own I wouldn't have come across it, so I must thank you for bringing it to my attention. It has been well worth my time, and I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in the subject.  I'm not finished yet -- and I suspect it is going to take me a few months.

Sounds like a potential Amazon review.  I pretty much agree with you.  I've learned a few things myself.  You're welcome.  Anyway, I finished it.  It's got a lot of good and interesting stuff in it.  Wish I could be a fly on the wall of some anti-Mormon groups that get their hands on it.  I think you'll like the rest of it, too.  I'm glad I noticed it.  I actually was looking for another book ("Ye Are Gods") by somebody else people have claimed was translated after writing it.  I misplaced and can't find my copy and was thinking about getting another one.  The latter book is not all that useful but it was something popular in occult and theosophical circles for a while.  Sorry it took so long to get to this.  I'm not receiving some notifications for some reason while other threads are inundating my Inbox.  I've tried toggling the switch a couple times to see if that makes a difference.