Finally seeing the value of family

poptart

Finally seeing the value of family.  Mom finished getting her own funeral plans in order, i got to see what the final tombstone will look like, debating buying something in the same place for when i'm good and dead.  Looking at the rows of graves, finally dawned on me how important family really is, thats the only real wealth you have.  It's dawning on me, when it's my time no one will care, i'll die and thats it.  Finally realizing just how fortunate those with stable families really are.  Family was never that much of a priority with my father, and with my moms days limited I'm now asking now what?  I look at my own mental damage from being backstabbled so badly over the years I'd be a horrible pick for anyone decient, why put up with my problems?  Those who are fortunate to have it together, their kids will hopefully be there for them in the end, their wealth will be passed on and everyone will always have a place.  It's sad, at one time long ago I think I wanted the same thing, just had so much bad happen I forgot, now with those I care most for leaving, I see that family really is what keeps people going. 

Your post breaks my heart.  I agree that earthly families are important.  They can be a wonderful and beautiful support in our mortal journey, and family plays an essential role within Mormon theology; nevertheless, earthly families are not the sole source of love and purpose here in mortality.  I experienced a tender mercy years ago back in Oklahoma to be introduced to a woman who struggled mightily under the shadow of a highly dysfunctional family life.  Having never married, she was completely alone in the world and viewed herself as worthless.  When the missionaries knocked on her door, it was only a small spark of "something" that caused her to invite them in.  We watched in awe and gratitude as this "orphan" gradually became aware of the fact that she was a daughter of God and then was adopted into our Church family .  It was not long before her Father (in Heaven) began to teach her; and in turn, she began to humbly teach us.  There was much sorrow among our "family" when all-too-early our dear Sister passed away.

1 hour ago, Okrahomer said:

Your post breaks my heart.  I agree that earthly families are important.  They can be a wonderful and beautiful support in our mortal journey, and family plays an essential role within Mormon theology; nevertheless, earthly families are not the sole source of love and purpose here in mortality.  I experienced a tender mercy years ago back in Oklahoma to be introduced to a woman who struggled mightily under the shadow of a highly dysfunctional family life.  Having never married, she was completely alone in the world and viewed herself as worthless.  When the missionaries knocked on her door, it was only a small spark of "something" that caused her to invite them in.  We watched in awe and gratitude as this "orphan" gradually became aware of the fact that she was a daughter of God and then was adopted into our Church family .  It was not long before her Father (in Heaven) began to teach her; and in turn, she began to humbly teach us.  There was much sorrow among our "family" when all-too-early our dear Sister passed away.

That's life for a lot of people, is what it is.  Every day that goes by makes me hate this world more and more.

Your real home was back in the pre-existence.  I keep telling my sons that mortality is a gift (very precious).  We gain attributes here that we did not have back there.  And if we happen to come across the Gospel, its an even greater bonus.  The earthly journey only takes a twinkling of an eye and we are back in the loving embrace of Heavenly Parents.

8 minutes ago, longview said:

Your real home was back in the pre-existence.  I keep telling my sons that mortality is a gift (very precious).  We gain attributes here that we did not have back there.  And if we happen to come across the Gospel, its an even greater bonus.  The earthly journey only takes a twinkling of an eye and we are back in the loving embrace of Heavenly Parents.

That just makes me hate this life even more and look forward to when i don't have to deal with it anymore.

Yes life can be brutal. It can also be beautiful. Sometimes  it helps to take the one tiny spot you have any control over and make it the best you can. I have a friend who is very negative about everything and everyone. He is , however , a very good son and caretaker of his mom and their house and yard. He has made the place very nice even though it is quite humble. Could he do more ?. Sure, he has many talents and could improve the lives of others. For now he does what he can. He could have let his place go to ruin like many around here who are too busy doing nothing . He found a reason to make SOMETHING better.

There is an old joke/story about a new arrival in hell that was getting a tour by the Devil. They walked through the desolate burning fires of hell and off  in the distance was a small green spot that was cooler. The new arrival asked the Devil what it was. The Devil replied that " It's those dang Mormons, always irrigating !! "