The last big weekend...

Garden Girl

1 hour ago, Garden Girl said:

My fellow posters....

I love living in a small town!  My husband and I retired here to Gleneden Beach on the central Oregon coast from San Francisco in 1990, building our retirement home in a golf resort called Salishan.  We shared that home until 1998 when he passed away suddenly.  It was a large home... too large for me alone so I sold it and bought my little cottage in the pines, 1/2 block to the shore... And here I've lived... alone, as a widow... for the past 17 years... sharing my home with a big, beautiful cat named Bob...  There is relatively little traffic, except in summer when our visitors can swell our numbers.  But one learns how to drive on our mostly 2-lane highway during these times by doing all your errands on one side of the street, then turning around and hitting the other side... 

One thing I love about small-town living is that people "know" you... for instance, the post master readily knows me and my P.O. Box number, so recently when I had real difficulty walking I simply called the P.O. and asked if he could possibly run my mail out to the car in the handicapped space, which he gladly did.  After that I was able to walk... When I go to the bank, I exchange waves with the manager. There's a small market about a mile down the highway where I've shopped for the past 26 years.  The owners and employees have become "friends" of a sort... I live in a neighborhood where the street gets together socially a couple times a year... and holds meetings about something that affects us, like emergency planning for storms, tsunamis, etc., a real neighborhood effort for sharing resources, etc.  They love my food supply...  

So today I was at the little market and it was abuzz with visitors as they filled their carts with all manner of foods for picnics, BBQs,  etc etc for this last big weekend before school starts.  There was an air of excitement and anticipation.  Kids were unable to hold back their excitement as they darted here and there... it was fun to watch everyone as they felt the freedom from the norm... the release from the every day... the magic that is the beach... I hope the weather holds for this weekend as it was absolutely beautiful today... 

Sorry, I just had to muse on this lovely evening... my heart is happy...

GG

GG, I'd love to go back to Oregon for a visit. Have you rethunk moving somewhere else, and going to stay or would you like to be closer to your sister? I love that your street gets together like that and has an emergency plan in place etc.

In Utah there are so many homes being built and not enough roadways to handle the influx. I'm ready for small town life, where population is small and everyone knows your name ("Cheers" theme song in my head now).

So glad to hear about your support system and community connections, GG. :)  I'm a wee mite worried about what might happen to me in my advancing years, but I suppose I'll simply have to cross that bridge when I come to it.  "All flesh is in mine hand," the Lord told Joseph Smith (see Doctrine and Covenants 61:6).  Even a sparrow's fall doesn't escape God's notice, and even an Old Batch like me is worth many sparrows. ;)  I'm not very good at forming connections, but my neighbors across the hall have taken pity on this Old Batch and invited me over for dinner next Tuesday. :D   Though I can't imagine what might take me your way, stranger things have happened, and I'd love to pay a visit to your little corner of the idyllic woods, if-and-when I'm ever up that way (and if the cat will tolerate me, of course, which might be the biggest "if" of all! :D).

I never fail to think of GG on our all too infrequent visits to Lincoln City, not always venturing south towards Salishan and Depot Bay. We were just there, the week before the eclipse. It seemed like all the proprietors were nervous when asked about the coming event. I guess y'all survived then Garden Girl?

Thanks for your descriptive appreciation of where you live. I am approaching retirement, and if God wills, it seems like the Mrs. and I will be moving toward the middle of the country. Lower real estate/cost of living. Grandkids. People who vote the same way as us.  My good wife seems never so visibly happier than when we are coming through Grande Ronde on Hwy 18 on our way to where you live. Wine Country. Sheridan. The Van Duzer Corridor. There is this cheer in her countenance, even in preparation, talking about it, a few days before we even go, that is all about your beach, the shops, and a modest ocean front room. If we can't keep coming after we move away, we won't be able to forget our visits to where you have lived. I always enjoy it when you try to tell the board about it.

Rory

Edited by 3DOP

Garden Girl,

Remind me ... where does Sis live?

15 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Garden Girl,

Joplin, MO. , with my two nephews' families nearby.  They each have property in the beautiful rolling hills, but I hesitate to locate there because of the extreme heat/humidity of summers.  I'm too used to the coolness of the Pacific Northwest... 

GG

41 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Garden Girl,

12 minutes ago, Garden Girl said:

Joplin, MO. , with my two nephews' families nearby.  They each have property in the beautiful rolling hills, but I hesitate to locate there because of the extreme heat/humidity of summers.  I'm too used to the coolness of the Pacific Northwest... 

GG

I can understand why you might want to stay put, then.  I ask only that the Good Lord bless and keep you wherever you are! :D 

2 hours ago, 3DOP said:

I never fail to think of GG on our all too infrequent visits to Lincoln City, not always venturing south towards Salishan and Depot Bay. We were just there, the week before the eclipse. It seemed like all the proprietors were nervous when asked about the coming event. I guess y'all survived then Garden Girl?

Thanks for your descriptive appreciation of where you live. I am approaching retirement, and if God wills, it seems like the Mrs. and I will be moving toward the middle of the country. Lower real estate/cost of living. Grandkids. People who vote the same way as us.  My good wife seems never so visibly happier than when we are coming through Grande Ronde on Hwy 18 on our way to where you live. Wine Country. Sheridan. The Van Duzer Corridor. There is this cheer in her countenance, even in preparation, talking about it, a few days before we even go, that is all about your beach, the shops, and a modest ocean front room. If we can't keep coming after we move away, we won't be able to forget our visits to where you have lived. I always enjoy it when you try to tell the board about it.

Rory

Yes, we survived... even with the foggy morning, most were able to view the eclipse...  I love it, Rory,  that you know these places, visit here, and enjoy it.  The "Corridor" can be a challenge in winter...  sometimes during our high winds some trees will fall across the Hwy 18 and everything is stopped until they can be cleared away.   Have you ever stayed at the Ester Lee?  We stayed there during some remodeling and I loved the fireplace in the rooms as we looked out to the crashing waves during a storm... all cozy inside as the ocean churned...

GG

On 9/1/2017 at 10:18 PM, Tacenda said:

Are they really playing in New Orleans? I heard the weather may not be the best.

There was "something" going on in New Orleans last Saturday.  I'm not sure one could call it an actual football game as only one team seems to have shown up.  :vava:

Edited by Okrahomer