Seriously No Politics ×

Missionaries

poptart

So, a good friend knows im, well, bi.  He mentions the church every chance he gets but i've yet to have missionaries sent to my doorstep.  Think that is out of fear I might hit on the elders? 
How does the church go about teaching those who like their own gender? 

They would focus on the doctrines of the gospel and saving ordinances and probably not address sexuality at all, except to tell you (probably while teaching about the law of chastity) that only romanitc relationships between men and women (and only sexual relationships between husbands and wives) are seen as moral.  Homosexual relationships are taught as sinful.

3 hours ago, poptart said:

So, a good friend knows im, well, bi.  He mentions the church every chance he gets but i've yet to have missionaries sent to my doorstep.  Think that is out of fear I might hit on the elders? 

I highly doubt that is the reason. Has he asked if you want to see them yet?  If not he may be afraid of hurting your friendship.  If he has asked,  I'm not sure why they wouldn't be coming. 

10 hours ago, bluebell said:

They would focus on the doctrines of the gospel and saving ordinances and probably not address sexuality at all, except to tell you (probably while teaching about the law of chastity) that only romanitc relationships between men and women (and only sexual relationships between husbands and wives) are seen as moral.  Homosexual relationships are taught as sinful.

huh, ok then.

6 hours ago, Rain said:

I highly doubt that is the reason. Has he asked if you want to see them yet?  If not he may be afraid of hurting your friendship.  If he has asked,  I'm not sure why they wouldn't be coming. 

Not really, he's done most of the Q & A. 

18 hours ago, poptart said:

Echoing the chorus here: contrary to popular myth, having a LDS friend doesn't mean that they will automatically arrange to have the missionaries pound down your door.

One of the following situations is much more likely:

-- He talks about the church a lot just because he talks about church a lot.  

-- He does talk about the church more around you because he just feels comfortable sharing this side of himself with you.  

-- He does talk about the church more around you because he thinks it'll benefit you.  Having extended the offer he's waiting patiently until you choose to say yes or no.

(Notice how none of these have anything to do with your sexuality).

Edited by Jane_Doe
On 2/28/2017 at 0:23 PM, poptart said:

I'd wager it depends on the indivual missionary.

On a flight home, a couple of years ago, me in the aisle seat, returning Missionary at the window, random guy in the middle.  Missionary starts proseltyzing the guy in the middle, asking him personal questions, including if he were in a relationship. Where the poor guy in the middle replied, he was flying home to his boyfriend and couldn't wait to get there.  Missionary says to him, that God does not want him to be a homosexual, that he should repent and think about reading a Book of Mormon. 

A movie was starting, so I asked, poor guy in the middle, if he wanted to use my headphones.  He did.

On 2/28/2017 at 1:23 PM, poptart said:

The same way missionaries teach people who like the opposite gender which means they like them. They avoid romantic interest as best they can. I taught several people with SSA on my mission (both male and female). It was never a problem....well except for one joke we played on some other elders. ;) 

21 hours ago, saemo said:

On a flight home, a couple of years ago, me in the aisle seat, returning Missionary at the window, random guy in the middle.  Missionary starts proseltyzing the guy in the middle, asking him personal questions, including if he were in a relationship. Where the poor guy in the middle replied, he was flying home to his boyfriend and couldn't wait to get there.  Missionary says to him, that God does not want him to be a homosexual, that he should repent and think about reading a Book of Mormon. 

A movie was starting, so I asked, poor guy in the middle, if he wanted to use my headphones.  He did.

Ohh man if that was me I would have hit on him just for giggles and brought up how icky and nasty american hetrosex relationships tend to be especially in court.   Gee elder if homosex is sooo bad why did your god make u soo cuute? Lol

I can be really obnoxious sometimes.  

On February 28, 2017 at 2:23 PM, poptart said:

The purpose of the gospel is to teach the truth in hopes that all would repent. There is a passage in the Book of Mormon where, a King's father (after hearing the gospel) prays, "...Lord, I will give away all my sins to know thee". The question is, would you do the same? 

5 hours ago, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

The purpose of the gospel is to teach the truth in hopes that all would repent. There is a passage in the Book of Mormon where, a King's father (after hearing the gospel) prays, "...Lord, I will give away all my sins to know thee". The question is, would you do the same? 

So far my answer is no. I hope to change it at some point.

On 3/2/2017 at 6:20 PM, saemo said:

Oh wow...just wow...that poor guy!!  How did you refrain from speaking kindly yet firmly to this missionary???

10 hours ago, The Nehor said:

So far my answer is no. I hope to change it at some point.

No to being willing to give away your sins...I am always "willing", but I always fall short. Thanks be to God, he is loving me despite    my inability to do so...so I'm with you, or at least understand.