Irrelevant Thread

jwhitlock

This has nothing at all to do with religious topics. It is a blatant, "see how great I am", egotistical, unrepentant, showy thread being created solely for purposes of one-upping anyone else who might post. Gratuitous geek trash talking, along with unearned rep points are welcome.

So here's the question:

How fast is your home Internet speed?

Mine just got increased to 180 mbps.

Beat that, if you will.

My download speed is 17 point something.  My upload speed is .81.  I'm paying for a lot more than that, but CenturyLink sucks and they won't stop sucking.  I. Hate. Them.  I haven't been able to keep up on my family blog because pictures upload so slowly.  And YouTube videos.  It takes over 3 hours to upload a 5 minute video! 

Explain how to test it.

Go to www.speedtest.net and test the speed there. You may have to try out several servers to get one that can respond fully to the test; different servers will give different results, especially if you're over 100mbps.

This just enables you to make sure you're getting the speed you're paying for. It's not a guarantee that all servers on the other end of your requests will be able to support that speed.

I have an app on my ipad.  There are also websites that can do the same thing.  Google internet speed test.

Best to test it on a wired PC, rather than on a wireless device. I can test the same server on my phone using my home wireless, but only get about 40mbps on that device.

My download speed is 17 point something.  My upload speed is .81.  I'm paying for a lot more than that, but CenturyLink sucks and they won't stop sucking.  I. Hate. Them.  I haven't been able to keep up on my family blog because pictures upload so slowly.  And YouTube videos.  It takes over 3 hours to upload a 5 minute video! 

We dumped CenturyLink a few months ago and went with Comcast.  Same price but much, much faster.

Bummer. For a minute, there, I didn't see the "." in front of the 81.

Might be a router or modem issue on your end. Do you rent those from Centurylink, or do you own them? Does the speed increase for a little while if you restart both of them? Are all of your devices wireless, or is that the speed you're getting over a wired connection?

Best to test it on a wired PC, rather than on a wireless device. I can test the same server on my phone using my home wireless, but only get about 40mbps on that device.

My laptop is usually faster than my ipad, so you're right on that.  However, I use my ipad 10 times more than my laptop. 

We dumped CenturyLink a few months ago and went with Comcast.  Same price but much, much faster.

I've got Comcast. They've been pretty good about upping the speed for the same price in the last few years, but they are somewhat more pricey than I'd like to pay.

There is one tier above mine that is available. It's 505 mbps, but you pay $400 a month for it and you have to live within 1/3 of a mile of a Comcast fiber pop. Three year commitment, $500 to install. And there's very little on the other end that would be able to fulfill requests at anywhere near that speed.

But it's nice to dream...

My laptop is usually faster than my ipad, so you're right on that.  However, I use my ipad 10 times more than my laptop. 

Still a heavy PC / notebook user, though I also use mobile devices quite a bit.

Maybe this should turn into a hardware specs brag-fest...

8 people living in my home, all with personal devices...  Not good.

We typically run anywhere from 10-25 connections between wired and wireless devices in our house. Currently have 13 connected as I look at the router stats, but it's not evening yet. People don't often realize how many devices get connected to their home networks.

I've disabled the wireless radio on the router and put a separate access point (Ubiquiti UniFi) in for wireless access. Great coverage, configuration and throughput, and it really helps keep things running smoothly.

Until I fiddle with it...

What really sucks is that my company was recently bought by Verizon, so I can get FIOS phone, TV, and Internet for $79 a month. Problem is, we can't get FIOS in our neighborhood. Grrr. Stuck with Comcast, which sucks.

Talk about irony...

I can't even get Verizon DSL (not that I'd want it) where I live (suburb of a city). They don't seem like they want to play in a lot of market spaces.

Talk about irony...

I can't even get Verizon DSL (not that I'd want it) where I live (suburb of a city). They don't seem like they want to play in a lot of market spaces.

Ironic indeed. Our biggest problem is in the evening, when my wife and I and four kids compete for wifi bandwidth. It's especially bad when my daughter is skyping with her fiance.

Ironic indeed. Our biggest problem is in the evening, when my wife and I and four kids compete for wifi bandwidth. It's especially bad when my daughter is skyping with her fiance.

Sounds like a router WIFI issue - unless all you've got is the basic 3 mbps type of Internet service...

Comcast is a lot more than what we're paying here and our neighbors have told us Comcast has the same speed problems in our neighborhood.  I've heard Frontier is starting to bring FIOS to our town, so I'm holding out for that.  We had it in our old town and it was awesome.  I miss it so much. 

Bummer. For a minute, there, I didn't see the "." in front of the 81.

Might be a router or modem issue on your end. Do you rent those from Centurylink, or do you own them? Does the speed increase for a little while if you restart both of them? Are all of your devices wireless, or is that the speed you're getting over a wired connection?

CenturyLink has done line tests to confirm the suckiness and sent people over to try to fix it.  It slightly improved, but they said there was a "length of cable" under the main street and they wouldn't be getting to that. 

I hate them so, so much. 

We have a desktop computer that's about 7 years old and it's slow to begin with.  It's torture. We have a wireless adapter on it and we had to purchase the router from CenturyLink.  We were supposed to be paying for 40, which is what I wrote down when I called to sign up.  I wrote down the reference number too.  When one rep told me they don't have 40 available in my area, I offered to give her the reference number so they could listen to what the lady told me, but she said the number wouldn't do her any good.  I said, "What's the point of a reference number then?!"  After multiple calls, we got a guy to admit we were paying for 40.  Then they said they wouldn't be able to adjust our bill retroactively until the problem was fixed.  I said, "Uhhhhh ..... Doesn't that give you motivation to NOT fix it?"  Rather than keep things the way they were and charge me less, they bumped me down to the slower plan, which made things ever slower.  They initially tried to charge me even more!  Nightmare.  We have a 3 year price lock, so either we will switch to Frontier when it comes or figure out something else.  Definitely not going to pay more for this ridiculousness.