Computer Crashed

Stargazer

Yesterday morning I turned my computer on after it had installed an update the previous night, and the startup failed!  Since I use the machine for more than just spelunking around the net (like I do here), this worried me.  I broke out the Windows Vista operating system disk the machine came with and attempted a repair.  Three times.  Each time the repair failed.  Yikes!

Fortunately, last year I had bought a three-license family pack of Windows 7 (on sale!) and so I tried to install that.  Eureka!  It worked, and even though this meant that I would have to reinstall all my installed software, I was relieved.  All my important data is backed up with Carbonite, so I'll get it back.  And much of it is still safe on a separate hard disk.

But bringing this machine back online is going to be time-consuming, and you won't see much of me for a week or so.

Sorry if someone was expecting a reply to something I started.

Edited by Stargazer

I've completely ignored backups for about a year at least.  Part of my problem is that even when I do backups, my husband manages to misplace them on the few occasions I've actually needed them after reassuring me he had taken care of them so I just get ticked off at him.  Better to be ticked off at myself for forgetting, lol.

I hated Vista!  Having a much better experience with Windows 7.  And I hate 8!

Should only take you a few hours to get most of what you had restored and the stuff on Cabonite will take a but more time but you don't need to really do much to redownload your files there. Best of luck.

Ubuntu.

No.

I can get things done on Windows.  I'm used to it.  To switch over to Linux of any flavor would have the effect of cutting my productivity in quarter.  Not to mention the fact that I make my living programming for Windows (and the Web).  But thanks for the straight line!

As Mola predicted, I am back up and running faster than expected.  I have software yet to install, but I am on the upward trail now.

I hated Vista!  Having a much better experience with Windows 7.  And I hate 8!

Interestingly, I never hated Vista.  I couldn't figure out what the big stink about it was.  But Windows 7 is definitely better!  I'm with you on Windows 8, too.  I upgraded my laptop to 8 and instantly I couldn't get anything done iwth it any more.  It was a freaking nightmare.  I downgraded to Windows 7 and it was heaven.

I had all sorts of troubles with Vista.  It kept crashing and I would have to do a system restore.  It stopped happening after I upgraded to 7. 

No.

I can get things done on Windows.  I'm used to it.  To switch over to Linux of any flavor would have the effect of cutting my productivity in quarter.  Not to mention the fact that I make my living programming for Windows (and the Web).  But thanks for the straight line!

As Mola predicted, I am back up and running faster than expected.  I have software yet to install, but I am on the upward trail now.

Yes.

It is your destiny.

I downgraded to Windows 7 and it was heaven.

Could it not be said that you actually upgraded to 7? I hate windows 8. In fact I don't know a single person that likes it. Windows 7 is pretty good stuff.

I totally bypassed Vista, thank goodness. I recently purchased a cute, yet powerful little Asus notebook with 12GB RAM & a 1/2 terabyte SSD (running Windows 8 ... which I hate). I don't run any form of Linux because a number of core programs that I use don't support the OS.

Yesterday morning I turned my computer on after it had installed an update the previous night, and the startup failed!  Since I use the machine for more than just spelunking around the net (like I do here), this worried me.  I broke out the Windows Vista operating system disk the machine came with and attempted a repair.  Three times.  Each time the repair failed.  Yikes!

Fortunately, last year I had bought a three-license family pack of Windows 7 (on sale!) and so I tried to install that.  Eureka!  It worked, and even though this meant that I would have to reinstall all my installed software, I was relieved.  All my important data is backed up with Carbonite, so I'll get it back.  And much of it is still safe on a separate hard disk.

But bringing this machine back online is going to be time-consuming, and you won't see much of me for a week or so.

Sorry if someone was expecting a reply to something I started.

Great "opportunity" to parse through your files and kill off those that mean nothing/minimal to you. But, yes, it is a time intensive chore. Sorry for your loss.

I totally bypassed Vista, thank goodness. I recently purchased a cute, yet powerful little Asus notebook with 12GB RAM & a 1/2 terabyte SSD (running Windows 8 ... which I hate). I don't run any form of Linux because a number of core programs that I use don't support the OS.

Those ASUS note books are great. We generally buy a varitey of them from the more expensive to the smaller more affordable ones for work. They really are quite slick.

Edited by Mola Ram Suda Ram

I have three internal hard disk drives, two PCs, and two notebook computers (all of which I'll be gifting for tax purposes) that I need to storm through over these next couple of weeks ... to recover anything worthwhile.

Edited by cursor