Seriously No Politics ×

Joseph Keith's Prophetic Words To B Y U Fans

Well, if anyone was looking for excitement this afrernoon and evening... the place to be was at home, sitting in your favorite armchair, watching  BYU-TV...

At 4:00 PM Pacific time, the men's Basketball Team played Long Beach State University... what a game!  Long Beach has a player named Mike Caffey, who is their version of Tyler Haws... they played very aggressive offense... BYU prevailed and won 95 - 90... (in spite of numerous turnovers that they need to work on).

But it was a very closely competitive game with the score close... the lead would change by a couple points, but BYU always pulled ahead.  Several of LB's players were hitting 3-pointers... but so did our players... in fact Haws, Fischer, Winder, Austin, Halford all hit 3-pointers.  For top scorers, Haws led the scoring at 21, followed by Halford (18), Fischer (17), Winder (12) and Neilson (10).  Coach Rose has a lot of talent to work with this season... it was very exciting!

Then at 6:30 Pacific Time (repeats at 9:00 PM), #13 Women's Volleyball team ( 22-4 overall, and

13-3 WCC) played their final home game of the regular season against Univ of San Diego... USD beat BYU earlier in the season in a 5-set match.

This was Senior Night... BYU will lose Hamson, among others.

But tonight, the Lady Cougars were dominant... 25 - 13;  25 - 15;  21 - 25; and 25 - 15.  It was fitting that Jennifer Hamson finished off the 4th set with an ace to cinch the match win. 

This gives BYU the WCC Championship... and a trophy was presented to the team and Coach Olmstead...  I was confused because Spencer Linton said it was a "piece of the championship" so maybe they split with another team?? 

Tomorrow is football and the forecoast is for COLD and Snow...

GG

Well... BYU keeps it's Bowl hopes alive with tonight's win against Univ of Nevada, Las Vegas... 42 to 23.  I would have been sorely disappointed at any other outcome considering UNLV's record.  Apparently BYU will travel to Miami Beach for their 10th straight bowl appearance.

I must say, I was heartened by Chris Stewart's performance... he has gained a great deal of confidence, and the team seems comfortable with him.  He showed some "Taysomness" according to the ESPNU announcers, several times. 

A win is a win...

GG

Well, tonight as part of the Maui Basketball Invitational... BYU played University of Arkansas - Little Rock in the Marriott Center... and won 91 - 62.  It was a good game starting out, but the Cougars soon pulled ahead and then became dominant in the second half... it was good fun though to watch the Cougars come together as a team, passing the ball to each other in unselfish sharing...

Tomorrow... November 19...

Women's Basketball will meet Cal State Univ - Northridge at Marriott Center in their home opener, starting at 11:00 A.M. Mountain time, 10:00 A.M. Pacific Time.

Northridge comes in with a 2 - 0 record... to BYU's 0 -  1 (after a 10-point loss to So Dakota State last Friday).

Then at 7:00 PM Mountain Time... 6:00 PM Pacific Time... as part of the Maui Invitational, the Men's  basketball team will play Southern Virginia.

The Cougars go in with a 2 - 0 record...  I don't know SV's record...

Then the Cougs will head to Maui...

It should be a fun day for Cougar sports... Both games will be televised on BYU-TV.

GG

Nov 19 was a split for BYU sports.... 

The BYU Women's Basketball Team lost their game to Cal State Northridge... 53 to 64... BYU went in with a 0 - 1 record, and now are 0 - 2.  The ladies played well, but CSU played better...  But I think BYU women will be stronger... Not having Hamson did make a difference... but they are adjusting... 

Then last night the BYU Men's Basketball Team played Southern Virginia Univ... Of course the SVU team was way outmatched and BYU won 101 to 48...  But there were some interesting things about the teams... between the two teams, there were 18 returned missionaries... and BYU basketball player Lexi Eaton's brother plays for SVU... so Lexi was sitting with her family cheering him on...

The announcer said that SVU was sort of star struck to be playing in Marriott Center with Tyler Haws, Kyle Collingsworth, et al... One of the SVU players said it was his dream to play in Marriott Center, and here he was... While it was a very one-sided score, SVU had some good points and plays... I think in spite of the outcome, SVU will remember the Marriott Center and be glad they were able to come to BYU to play...

The next game for the Men will be Monday night when BYU travels to Maui to meet San Diego State... this game will be a real challenge for the Cougars because SDSU has its best team in years, according to the announcers.  The game will be televised on ESPN2...

Go Cougars!

GG

Well, what can I say... it was expected...

BYU Cougars Football team is playing Savannah State... BYU went into half time ahead 51 - 0, and it is now the end of the 3rd quarter, and BYU still leads 51 - 0...

I found myself rooting for Savannah a couple times... I want them to get at least a couple of touchdowns.

But I loved what Coach Mendenhall said at halftime... he was asked by Spencer Litton what he'd like to see in the 2nd half... Coach M. said he didn't need to see anything else and just planned to play as many players off the bench as possible to reward them for all the hard work at practice, etc. 

So it's 3rd quarter and the quarterback is McCoy Hill, the 3rd QB in the lineup... and all of the 2nd and 3rd players are being given field time.  It's still 51 - 0...

EDIT TO ADD:  Final Score 64 - 0.  This was Senior Day for the Cougars... and the last home game of the season.  

Later this evening at 7:30 PM Mountain Time the BYU Women's Basketball (0 - 2) team plays Nevada... televised on BYU-TV...  they lost their last game to CSU Northridge, so this is a game that they need to win to get going...

BYU Women's Volleyball  has clinched the WCC title with a 3 - 0 sweep over Portland...

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

Well the Lady Cougars held it together to beat Nevada 65 to 60... at one point in first half BYU was ahead 14 points... (Eaton and a couple of others were hitting 3-pointers... Lexi having 6 for the game and a total of 29 points)... and they were in control...  but in the 2nd half they seemed to lose their focus and had turnovers and fouls, and Nevada stepped up their game and drew within 2 points... but BYU kept coming back and finally held off Nevada to win by 5 points... Whew!  They needed that win... their record now 1 - 2. 

My blood pressure was sky high during the last of the 2nd half!!

GG

Nov. 24...

Tonight at 8:30 PM PST, on ESPN2, the Men's Basketball Team will play San Diego State Univ in the Maui Open Tournament... Both BYU and San Diego go into this game at 3 - 0 in their conferences.

I've been calling the ladies' teams the Lady Cougars... but on Sports Nation this a.m. Spencer Litton said that was a no-no... that there are just Cougars...

Last Saturday, the #12 Women's Volleyball team played Gonzaga and were victorious (3 - 2) in the match which went to 5 sets...

21-25 (Gon.), 17 - 25 (Gon.), 25 - 18 BYU,  25 - 21 BYU,  and 15 - 10 BYU...

BYU is now 24 - 4 overall, and 15 - 2 WCC.

GG

:cray:

Last night in Maui I saw one of the best college basketball games between two well matched teams... BYU and San Diego State Univ.  While San Diego led by a few points, even up to 8 at one point, throughout the game, BYU always either tied them or came within a point or two. 

Finally, at the end of regulation play, the game was tied and went to overtime... BYU pulled ahead by up to 4 points in OT and I thought they were going to win... but... it went to 2nd overtime, and BYU pulled ahead by a point... then SD... then BYU... what a game... Finally, at the end of the 2nd OT San Diego was ahead to win 92 to 87...

I will never understand the strategy of purposely fouling in order to get the ball back... because the free throws that SD made put them ahead so that as OT ran out, BYU didn't have enough time to make up the points and move ahead. 

Anyway, it was a wild ride...

GG

:cray:

Last night in Maui I saw one of the best college basketball games between two well matched teams... BYU and San Diego State Univ. While San Diego led by a few points, even up to 8 at one point, throughout the game, BYU always either tied them or came within a point or two.

Finally, at the end of regulation play, the game was tied and went to overtime... BYU pulled ahead by up to 4 points in OT and I thought they were going to win... but... it went to 2nd overtime, and BYU pulled ahead by a point... then SD... then BYU... what a game... Finally, at the end of the 2nd OT San Diego was ahead to win 92 to 87...

I will never understand the strategy of purposely fouling in order to get the ball back... because the free throws that SD made put them ahead so that as OT ran out, BYU didn't have enough time to make up the points and move ahead.

Anyway, it was a wild ride...

GG

Sounds fun GG! Recently went to Maui for a 30th anniversary, there are some spectacular sunsets. Didn't go on the "Road to Hana", didn't sound like it'd be enjoyable with all the hairpin turns, and the possible episodes of being carsick. But everyone says not to miss it!

Glad you got to watch your BYU games, even though I'd rather hear about your trip, ha ha.

Sounds fun GG! Recently went to Maui for a 30th anniversary, there are some spectacular sunsets. Didn't go on the "Road to Hana", didn't sound like it'd be enjoyable with all the hairpin turns, and the possible episodes of being carsick. But everyone says not to miss it!

Glad you got to watch your BYU games, even though I'd rather hear about your trip, ha ha.

Congratulations... love the islands... favorites are Maui, and especially Kauai... we used to go at least once a year on business if you can imagine.  After our business meeting, dh and I would take a couple of extra days just for ourselves before flying home. 

I've never taken the full Road to Hana either because it is so long and winding... hope you had a great time. 

GG

Oh, I meant I watched the games on TV... I wasn't there...sadly... so no actual "trip," just on TV...

GG

Today, 11/26...

Speaking of Maui and the basketball tournament... I just watched another heart pounding game between BYU and Purdue University...

The game changed leads at least 8 times... but was never over very many points difference... finally the game ended in a tie of 81 points for each team, to send the game into Overtime.  This is the second time this tournament.

The teams continued in OT to change leads... until Purdue finally ended with the victory over BYU... 87 to 85... 87 to  85!!!

What a heart breaker... 

While the men were playing Purdue... the Women's Basketball Team was playing at Cannon Center of the BYU-H campus... defeating Butler 81 to 62 in the Tom Weston Invitational in Laie, Hawaii.  The women's team (2 - 2) will next play against BYU-H on Thursday, Thanksgiving Day at 1:00 PM Hawaiian time.

They will conclude their week on Sat, Nov 29, playing No. 20 Oregon State at 1:00 PM Hawaii time.

Yesterday, 11/25... BYU defeated Chaminade 125 - 85... in that game Chase Fischer made 10 out of 13 3-pointers... and the team had overall 17 3-pointers. 

Also on 11/25...

#12 BYU Women's Volleyball Team beat Loyola Marymount in 4 sets to close out their regular season.  BYU receives an automatic bid to the NCAA by winning the WCC outright...

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

Today... November 29

O...m...G... O M' GOSH... What a football game!!  I need my Linsinopril... my blood pressure must be sky high...

BYU Cougars travelled to California to take on the Univ of Calif, Berkeley, Golden Bears.  The Bears had to win this game to become bowl eligible... BYU of course is already playing a bowl game in Miami...

Both teams played extremely hard with BYU prevailing to win 42 to 35...  The teams tied 5 times during the game... back and forth...

At one point Cal led 21 to 14... almost pulling ahead 28 to 14 but a foul negated the touchdown to put it back to 21.  Then BYU made a touchdown to tie at 21. 

There was one major mistake by BYU that led the Bears to pull ahead 35 to 28... but BYU came back and tied at 35...

And then late in the 4th quarter BYU was able to get a touchdown to make it 42 to 35.  There were about 4 minutes left in the game... but BYU held on... making a 3rd and 4th down stand to hold the bears at  35 in the last one minute of the game, with 4 tries for Cal to make a touchdown from about the 15 yard line... BYU held, batting away passes in the end zone, etc etc.  Whew!!

It is now 5:40 PM my Pacific time... and I'm waiting for 6:30 when the Cougars basketball team will take on Eastern Kentucky, a very good team... we'll have to play well...

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

Today... November 29

O...m...G... O M' GOSH... What a football game!!  I need my Linsinopril... my blood pressure must be sky high...

BYU Cougars travelled to California to take on the Univ of Calif, Berkeley, Golden Bears.  The Bears had to win this game to become bowl eligible... BYU of course is already playing a bowl game in Miami...

Both teams played extremely hard with BYU prevailing to win 42 to 35...  The teams tied 5 times during the game... back and forth...

At one point Cal led 21 to 14... almost pulling ahead 28 to 14 but a foul negated the touchdown to put it back to 21.  Then BYU made a touchdown to tie at 21. 

There was one major mistake by BYU that led the Bears to pull ahead 35 to 28... but BYU came back and tied at 35...

And then late in the 4th quarter BYU was able to get a touchdown to make it 42 to 35.  There were about 4 minutes left in the game... but BYU held on... making a 3rd and 4th down stand to hold the bears at  35 in the last one minute of the game, with 4 tries for Cal to make a touchdown from about the 15 yard line... BYU held, batting away passes in the end zone, etc etc.  Whew!!

It is now 5:40 PM my Pacific time... and I'm waiting for 6:30 when the Cougars basketball team will take on Eastern Kentucky, a very good team... we'll have to play well...

GG

You are having a hay day GG!

Today... November 29... Part 2

Today was quite a heyday is right...

The Cougars basketball team played the Eastern Kentucky Colonels, who came into the game 4 - 0 to BYU's 4 - 2 record.  They had 2 players who could easily shoot 3-pointers...

The first half was very close and ended with BYU ahead 32 to 30 at halftime.

The Cougars came out to start the 2nd half, and just exploded... the Cougars were shooting 3-pointers from all over the court... Fischer, Haws, Halford, Winder, even Collinsworth all hit 3-pointers one after another.  BYU pulled ahead by up to 22 points... and finally ended the game with a win at 90 to 76.

It was a very fast paced game at times, and always exciting...

Go Cougars!!

GG

Cougar Basketball!!  Coach Rose's style of playing fast and hard was not lost this evening when BYU travelled to Utah State for what has become a rivalry... BYU has not defeated Utah State on their home court since 2000.  The place was sold out!  10,000 students and fans gathered to watch the game.

The game was very close... within one or two points most of the game until BYU started pulling ahead in the 2nd half... the thing about it is that Fischer and Haws were "cold" during the first half, and only a couple of 3-pointers found their way into the hoop... they did better in the second half, including Winder...

BYU finally prevailed 91 -  81...    It was a good game!  And the end of a long drought on Utah's home court.

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

Okay, this is for VALENTINUS...

Hello Val...

I have to give a shout-out to your #25 ranked Utes... they played a terrific game at home against #8 Wichita State...going to overtime... holding on to win 69 to 68... 

GG

Members of the BYU sports teams have been receiving recognition and awards...

Five Women's Volleyball Team players were named to the WCC Academic All-West Coast Conference teams... Boswell, Hamson and Welling received 1st Team honors... Nobles and Young were named Honorable Mention.

These awards are based on academic achievement while contributing to their team efforts.

GPA:

Boswell... 3.92... Nursing

Hamson... 3.48... Exercise Science

Welling...  3.84... P.E. Teaching/Coaching

Men's Basketball player Tyler Haws is among 50 players named to the Naismith Trophy Award watch list.  He has also been named to the Wooden Award Preseason Top 50.

Jimmer Fredette won the 2011 Naismith Trophy... the only BYU player to date to win the award.

Four Women's Soccer Team members have been named to the All West Regional 3rd Team...

Amos, Hatch, Medeiros and Murphy.

Earlier this year Amos was named WCC Defender of the Year..

Hatch was named WCC Co-Player of the Year with Santa Clara's Huerta sharing the honor.

Our BYU Cougars continue to excel not only in their sports, but academically... Go Cougars!

GG

I love your enthusiasm GG!  I am one of the only older women I know that has her own subscription to Sports Illustrated.

That being said...Go Utes!

I don't know what I would do without my sports, my teams...and NASCAR!

Wichita State is no slouch.  Props to the Utes. :)

Wednesday night should be fun. :)

P.S.: I grew up a BYU fan (my dad grew up in Orem, and the Cougs were the "local" team).  I tried to get into BYU for my graduate studies, but, alas, the "Y" didn't let me in.  I had a couple offers to out-of-state (California) schools and from the "U."  Perhaps I, in a fit of pique, should have gone to one of those schools; however, even with (very modest) honors at entrance, it still didn't make economic sense for me to go to school out of state (particularly not considering the enormous cost of living, let alone what it cost to go to school).  Just for fun (and provided I could arrange the necessary heavy security :D), one year, I'd like to go to a matchup between the two schools in a half-red, half-blue outfit, with a "U" emblazoned on the red side and the "Y" emblazoned on the blue side, and red face paint on half of my face and blue face paint on the other half ... just to keep the fans of both schools guessing where my truest allegiances lie. ;)  (I know this is heresy, but I usually root for both schools, and for whichever one has the most to lose when they play each other. :)

Edited by Kenngo1969

This evening, the BYU Women's Basketball team (3-3) faced off against Univ of NLV Rebels (3-3) in the Smith Field House, which hasn't been used for basketball since 2006. The Cougars played a great game, quickly moving ahead and dominating the play... in fact shutting down the Rebels' top shooter... The Cougars led in the 2nd half by 30 points... so Coach Jeff Judkins took the opportunity to call in most of the "bench" and give the team's juniors players time for experience, and it was evident that they needed it... he didn't worry about the score but let them play... he'd call a time out and give them a "teaching moment."
BYU still prevailed to win by 15 points, 76 to 61.

NCAA Tournament 1st Round Women's Volleyball...

Jennifer Hamson led the #12 Cougars to a 3-set sweep against Seton-Hall (25-16... 25-18... 25-17).  BYU is 26-4 overall and 16-2 WCC).

This win marks the 3rd time in 3 seasons that the Cougars have advanced past the 1st round of NCAA play.  They return to McKale Memorial Center tomorrow to face the winner of the match between 11th seed Arizona and Yale.  Here's wishing our Cougars the best of luck... they are a terrific team... and represent BYU well.

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

Round Two... NCAA Women's Volleyball Tournament

Jen Hamson helped #12 BYU advance to the Regional Semi-Finals and the Sweet Sixteen for the 3rd time in consecutive seasons in the NCAA Tournament by defeating #11 seed Arizona in the Second Round.

BYU (27 - 4) played the host Arizona Wildcats (24 - 10), defeating them in four sets... 22 - 25... 25 - 20... 25 - 23 and 25 - 23.

The BYU Cougars will hit the road again next week to take on #6 seed Florida State at the Univ of Washington on Dec. 12.

Well done!!

GG

Edited by Garden Girl